Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote:(Reposted to the correct thread.)

It isn't there anymore, but about a week ago there was a construction dumpster outside the building at the NW corner of 10th & Oak. (I believe it's one of the Abnos slums that would otherwise be a great building if owned by almost anyone else.) I saw people bringing debris out on a couple of occasions. Anything noteworthy going on here?
Right on the corner is an Abnos property

I don't see any permits for a renovation. Could just be clearing out junk and debris as you say.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Pawns and pints has a sign on the old 7 bar spot at like 7th and walnut....I assume it's not a second location?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The turnover at Stables/Tiger Tail/KC's Garage continues...next up, it'll be Stanford's starting in September.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Gross. Thought this guy was done with KCMO?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

He seems about as ideologically anti-downtown KC as a person can be, preaching to a choir of similar misguided voices over on KC Confidential. "Screw downtown, don't spend any money on it! Let it rot! Except you didn't, and now I think I can make money there because of all the things you did that I was opposed to."

F this guy.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Ironically, I bet he comes to KCMO to get all the cocaine to blow up his nose.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think I've ever hated a new downtown business as much as I've hated this news.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

If there's a bright spot, it's that they won't be in business there for long.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

those of you that have been in there (i have, but only in the tiger tail days): what do you think is the ideal use for that space?

that stretch of walnut is picking up a lot of nearby residential density yet i'm still not positive the answer isn't "garage"
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote:those of you that have been in there (i have, but only in the tiger tail days): what do you think is the ideal use for that space?

that stretch of walnut is picking up a lot of nearby residential density yet i'm still not positive the answer isn't "garage"
The ideal use for that space is to tear down the whole garage and build a new mid/high-rise project. There is no ideal use for the existing space. It's a dank hellhole (more or less).
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

right, i meant the existing space. it sucks. i don't know anything about this guy's (apparently infamous) history, but it's hard to imagine anyone walking in there and saying "YES THIS IS WHERE I WANT MY BUSINESS TO LIVE"
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

wahoowa wrote:right, i meant the existing space. it sucks. i don't know anything about this guy's (apparently infamous) history, but it's hard to imagine anyone walking in there and saying "YES THIS IS WHERE I WANT MY BUSINESS TO LIVE"
"Tourists will definitely want to come into this totally legitimate looking place and pay to see comedy."
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

But it will fit all the cliches someone from the country will think of when they think of downtown.

How can it possibly fail?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Pawns and pints has a sign on the old 7 bar spot at like 7th and walnut....I assume it's not a second location?
i wondered what was going on there. i haven't heard that they're moving. benefits of the 7 space is that it was built out with a full kitchen, is larger, and has plenty of parking across the street. their current space is 3,000 sq ft. odd to move after being open less than a year. it's a low cost model, so i'm assuming a second location. will try to reach out to them.

UPDATE: they are moving to the new space in september.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:I don't think I've ever hated a new downtown business as much as I've hated this news.
It will have zero impact in the scheme of things. It's a temporal blur on the downtown landscape. On the other hand, Jimmy John's will be a scar on
Broadway, one of KC's most urban streets, for a long time to come. It still gets my vote for least favorite business - plus, I've never been partial to their food.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

is pawns and pints going to have a liquor license when they move or does that clock reset?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No way I can do board games without booze, sorry.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

well yeah so the question is do i keep playing them at home or do i walk 3 blocks to play them there
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd think the clock would reset given new neighbor approval but maybe it's just a second location.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:I'd think the clock would reset given new neighbor approval but maybe it's just a second location.
new license. applicants in the loop don't need consent from adjacent property owners.