Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote: So there was a small fire in the building at the NW corner of truman and walnut, apparently someone in the adjacent taller building to the south had a cooking fire and flung the flaming mess below to the roof of the building on the corner.  I blame a forumer trying one of Iggy's head exploding recipes! :P
???

there are no buildings on the NW corner of truman and walnut. nothing but parking lots on all four corners, actually. do you mean SE or SW of that intersection?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

sorry, you are correct, there is a small lot on the corner, I guess I was referring to the first "available" building. SW of there.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I posted in this thread because the top floor is vacant, recently rehabbed and ready for a tenant.  about 7k sf, exposed joists and brick walls, new windows.  nice feature was the support posts, black decorative iron, no need for boxing out.  I imagine it's pricey with the view.
kigmee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kigmee »

Brookfield Building, 11th and Baltimore.  Windows papered over, with a banner saying New Horizons - Environmental Solutions - Woman Owned Company.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kigmee wrote: Brookfield Building, 11th and Baltimore.  Windows papered over, with a banner saying New Horizons - Environmental Solutions - Woman Owned Company.
finally! that place has been an eyesore for years.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Did Dick Turner sell the building?
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Here's some minor development news... 2018 Main is finally getting worked on. It could be a beautiful building / space when finished. Inside and out. The owner is back in town and motivated to fix it up. This photo is from a few years ago.

the only thing for sure is change.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

are they stripping off that awful paint?
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

Until recently, that block has looked dead. Glad to see it getting a makeover.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

DaveKCMO wrote: are they stripping off that awful paint?
I'm guessing it will be restored to it's "original" facade as much as possible. I have not confronted the owner with that particular question though...

I'm just happy they have been working non stop on the rehab. The interior is really getting cool. Before, it was an old hotel with small (very small) rooms. Now the walls are going away, the windows are opening up, the brick and rafters are being exposed and it is now very airy.. New windows are going in. The dirty stinking pigeons are going away too.  :cheers:

Hopefully we will all be able to put in new sidewalks along that stretch of Main sometime soon too. As I've said before on this site, that will not be cheap for us because of the elevated bridge we are all built up against. The city could care less about the condition of the street underneath the bridge and it will be very hard to fix the sidewalks without fixing the decay of the street underneath.

Building ownership is not cheap. Just relentless.
the only thing for sure is change.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Have you started any kind of expansion to that space underneath?  I forgot if you even can claim rights to it, but I'm sure we could find some obscure law to protect you and help you claim ownership!  And what is the decay from?  Is there a lot of moisture down there?  I can't remember if it dripped like a cave or not....
kigmee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kigmee »

kigmee wrote: Brookfield Building, 11th and Baltimore.  Windows papered over, with a banner saying New Horizons - Environmental Solutions - Woman Owned Company.
False alarm, I guess.  The paper over the windows has fallen down, revealing...the same derelict optometry office that it was before.  Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.  That building is a big suck downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kigmee wrote: False alarm, I guess.  The paper over the windows has fallen down, revealing...the same derelict optometry office that it was before.  Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.  That building is a big suck downtown.
the banner is still there, no? it was a day or so ago...
kigmee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kigmee »

DaveKCMO wrote: the banner is still there, no? it was a day or so ago...
Banner is still there - I suppose they could be working in the basement or something, but that kind of mechanical or remediation activity is a strange thing to advertise on the side of a building.  And to paper over windows of a storefront that's not being redone makes one wonder if it's not just an attempt to fool someone into thinking that something is being done.

My disappointment is so profound that I'm not going to mention the Express Tire and Service banner over the old (Goodyear?) auto service location at Truman and Main.  Don't want to jinx that one, too.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Is paranormal activity posted here, or is there another thread for that?
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I have to admit I laughed at that. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I've been noticing some quite a bit of activity at 807 Wyandotte, a nice storefront building that has been vacant for a very long time.   I haven't seen anything posted on this site about it but from a check on Kiva it looks like it's the GOOD kind of activity (remodel) and not the BAD kind of activity we've been seeing so much of lately.

Anyone know who or what is moving in here?   It's a great space with a lot of potential.

Here's the building in question:   http://tinyurl.com/47qpgll
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

[quote="scooterj"]
I've been noticing some quite a bit of activity at 807 Wyandotte, a nice storefront building that has been vacant for a very long time.   I haven't seen anything posted on this site about it but from a check on Kiva it looks like it's the GOOD kind of activity (remodel) and not the BAD kind of activity we've been seeing so much of lately.

Anyone know who or what is moving in here?   It's a great space with a lot of potential.

Here's the building in question:   http://tinyurl.com/47qpgll
[/quote

My understanding is that Trozzolo Communications purchased this building last year and was in plans to renovate into offices for themselves.  Hope that's it and that it goes well for them. (renovation is always an adventure)
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kigmee wrote: False alarm, I guess.  The paper over the windows has fallen down, revealing...the same derelict optometry office that it was before.  Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up.  That building is a big suck downtown.
I didn't get a full walk by, but it appeared that there may be some work going on at street level of the Brookfield Building in the old Japanese Steakhouse space.  This would be great news for this dead space amongst a number of workers and the Library Lofts.  Anyone have the scoop on this?

In other inconsequential news, I noticed the Curry in a Hurry (replaced Bumblefish) in City Center Square today.  Has anyone had this?  Curry in a Hurry downtown sounds like a great idea if they were to be open late, but City Center has said no go to others requesting evening hours.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

bobbyhawks wrote: In other inconsequential news, I noticed the Curry in a Hurry (replaced Bumblefish) in City Center Square today.  Has anyone had this?  Curry in a Hurry downtown sounds like a great idea if they were to be open late, but City Center has said no go to others requesting evening hours.
I've had it for lunch a few times and it's pretty good.  I don't think they have evening or weekend hours, but i could be wrong.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!