Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by KCMax »

Eon Blue wrote:Went by again today. It's called "SISU," which is presumably an acronym for something I couldn't discern.
Strategic Surivial Solutions?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SISU-Str ... 1525974513
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

The address on that page matches the address for the building.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCMax wrote:
Eon Blue wrote:Went by again today. It's called "SISU," which is presumably an acronym for something I couldn't discern.
Strategic Surivial Solutions?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SISU-Str ... 1525974513
I instantly can see why they're downtown
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Strategic Survival Solutions is both a full-service, critical incident response training company, specializing in active shooter and violent intruder events, consulting and a survival specialty store. We call it a "Survival Station."
WTF is a "active shooter and violent intruder event"? Sounds like a paintball party.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote: WTF is a "active shooter and violent intruder event"?
Pretty sure those are bald-faced code words for "premature ejaculation" and "someone with larger genitals copulating with my spouse/s.o."
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote:
Strategic Survival Solutions is both a full-service, critical incident response training company, specializing in active shooter and violent intruder events, consulting and a survival specialty store. We call it a "Survival Station."
WTF is a "active shooter and violent intruder event"? Sounds like a paintball party.
You may laugh but companies put their employees through training for this kind of stuff. Although in the only training I had to take, the guy said that shooters are usually people with a beef so the best way to avoid being shot is just not "piss anyone off".
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Highlander wrote:... just not "piss anyone off".
I good skill to have. It's a wonder I'm still alive.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Highlander wrote: You may laugh but companies put their employees through training for this kind of stuff. Although in the only training I had to take, the guy said that shooters are usually people with a beef so the best way to avoid being shot is just not "piss anyone off".
Now imagine how much that consultant got paid for that gem.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

With so much going on lately, I mapped all the projects that have been in the news of late. You can click on the icons for more info about the project. Here is the link:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 39jNI_qssQ

KCDowntown
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Thanks for the map. Very helpful.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCDowntown wrote:With so much going on lately, I mapped all the projects that have been in the news of late. You can click on the icons for more info about the project. Here is the link:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... 39jNI_qssQ

KCDowntown
nice map. constructive criticism- the streetcar line is 2 blocks too short and you're missing a large number of projects

the quick check-
Columbus Park, the other union hill project, the argyle building, that new parking garage at 17th and wyandotte, hospital hill apartments
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Updated the map with some of the projects I missed that flyingember pointed out - although I couldn't bring myself to put a parking garage on a development map.

Also included a link to the most recent article in the Star or Business Journal for each project.

If anyone knows of any other projects that aren't on there let me know. I will try to keep this updated as projects arise and are undertaken.

Here is the link: Development map

KCDowntown
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

there's the transit-related parking project in the early stages at 3rd and Grand.
likemacgyver
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by likemacgyver »

Definitely seeing some work done in the buildings at 1706 Oak, Some black trashbags taped nicely up on the outside of the north building's front window. KCMO GIS doesnt have any new info in it, I assume the building got leased. Looks like young guys cleaning it up, using an old van [-o<
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Saw on the news talk of a vfw bar at 16th and Main? Didn't catch which building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Saw on the news talk of a vfw bar at 16th and Main? Didn't catch which building.
wasn't aware it was a bar, but they've held some veterans meetings in there for awhile.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I drove down the 700 block of Walnut a few days ago and noticed that work was being done to the old "Stables Bar and Grill". I had never been inside that bar, but it always looked pretty sketchy from the outside (in the last weeks of the bar being in business, I noticed a homeless man casually humping the iron fence around the perimeter..nice). Here's to hoping for new life to that old bar.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I remain hopeful that that awful parking garage will be torn down and a new building put there. Once upon a time there was talk of a national discount retailer putting an express/city store at that location. But that was a long time ago now.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

mgh7676 wrote:I drove down the 700 block of Walnut a few days ago and noticed that work was being done to the old "Stables Bar and Grill". I had never been inside that bar, but it always looked pretty sketchy from the outside (in the last weeks of the bar being in business, I noticed a homeless man casually humping the iron fence around the perimeter..nice). Here's to hoping for new life to that old bar.
Whatever's going in here appears to be *very* close to (re)opening. The obligatory neon beer signs are up in the windows; the door was open and balloons were set outside the (propped open) door today. I glanced in and didn't see any customers in there, but a couple of guys were working in/around the bar.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

And we now have a name for "what used to be Stables": Tiger Tail Saloon

From that article, my best-case hope for the place is that it's a Czar Bar clone.