Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 am That picture could be from 8 months ago
I think the permanent signage is new, or maybe I never noticed it before
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The sign went up in mid-September.

Next month will be the 3-year mark on this project. If I was a bit more artfully inclined, I'd stage a performance of Waiting for Godot on the corner. :-)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 am That picture could be from 8 months ago
I think the permanent signage is new, or maybe I never noticed it before
Kind of came off dickish to your post which wasn't my intention. More dickish towards the sloths pace of this retail space opening. Thanks for sharing.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

It's all good
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The 718 Grand Garage, and the former Sanderson Lunch building, at 8th and Grand are gone.

swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

A study in contrasts:

The world's slowest restaurant conversion is still sputtering along at 12th & Walnut - a fire alarm permit was applied for and granted on the 5th.

Meanwhile...Scooters vacated 929 Walnut less than a month ago, and Spokes already has exterior signage applied to the windows and the remodel has already progressed beyond the "completely gutted" stage.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i have never hated a chain i've never set foot in more than i hate pickleman's
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

wahoowa wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:34 pm i have never hated a chain i've never set foot in more than i hate pickleman's
Picklemans is pretty good. Better than Jimmy Johns for sure.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would be nice to get a real Jersey style sub shop like White House Subs, though hard to find anywhere outside E Coast...
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Nothing happening yet- but I had to report to the city that the old Seidens Furs building at 935 broadway now has brick littering both sides of the sidewalk. So hopefully they'll send some inspectors out on this eyesore.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

gfenn11 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:48 pm Nothing happening yet- but I had to report to the city that the old Seidens Furs building at 935 broadway now has brick littering both sides of the sidewalk. So hopefully they'll send some inspectors out on this eyesore.
Maybe you'll have a different result from the last time a ticket was opened on that property for years.

http://webfusion.kcmo.org/coldfusionapp ... seInfo.cfm
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The City needs to get on that. There was a building that had bricks fall off in Liberty yesterday. With all the snow we've had this winter, lack of maintenance can cause water to infiltrate the walls and cause facade collapse. Many historic buildings are lost this way.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/engineers- ... e/26757083

There was another building that collapsed in Liberty in 2016, that had to be demolished.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/building-p ... re/3694054

I'd send an email to Jolie Justus and Katheryn Shields. That building is in their district. Attach the links about the building collapses, and also remind them that the Cosby Hotel at 9th and Baltimore had a facade collapse that almost caused the City to do an emergency demolition. I'd also send an email to Scott Wagner, since he has interest in historic preservation.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/news/article ... ll-updated

http://northeastnews.net/pages/wagner-f ... buildings/

It's better to prevent a facade collapse than to deal with one.

jolie.justus@kcmo.org

katheryn.shields@kcmo.org

Scott Wagner's aide: Kimberly.Randolph@kcmo.org

Wagner will probably go take a look himself.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The 2016 building collapse in Liberty didn't just take it out, it also impacted both buildings next door.
The business to the north had to move out permanently because the repair cost was more than the building value. It was still boarded up two years later.
The business to the east luckily had empty space (they had three connected buildings) and just had to relocate to leave the adjacent space.

The Seidens Furs building is attached to a second and an alley length away from a third.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Unfortunately (for my case) the CID workers swept it all up today. So it looks like nothing is wrong. But my upmost goal for bringing attention to this building (besides the fact of keeping it from killing someone) is to hopefully get the conversations going to get this corner reactivated and a new business in its place.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Even though CID workers swept it up, a city inspector needs to take a look at the building if bricks fell off to determine what caused it, and if there is risk that more could fall.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A place like you say tomato would go good there keeping the fur name and theme with brunch and lunch.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

flyingember wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:50 am The 2016 building collapse in Liberty didn't just take it out, it also impacted both buildings next door.
[...]
The business to the east luckily had empty space (they had three connected buildings) and just had to relocate to leave the adjacent space.
But even that one was never able to fully recover and went out of business recently.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I don't know if this is a semi-regular occurrence, but there was some work being done this week on the Abnos-wreck at the NW corner of 10th & Oak. There are now large glass panels installed on parts of the large steel frame rooftop structure that I think is recent...and some god-awful terra cotta repair work on the main entrance on the 10th street side.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Hope that building ends up in better hands someday. It's a great building and makes for a wonderful companion to the Pickwick as well as the Egyptian Revival next door
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I agree that that the terra cotta repair work is awful. It's obvious he isn't getting historic tax credits for his renovation. I wish he'd just sell to the Pickwick ownership, and let them renovate the building as part of that complex.