Downtown Buildings with Activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Buildings with Activity

Post by mgh7676 »

Had noticed a little bit of activity around the building at 913 Wyandotte. Always hoped a use would be found for it, but according to Parcel Viewer a pre-demo inspection was in October. Fencing has gone up around it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I could be wrong, but I think I recall someone saying that building was to be demolished as part of a plan to rebuild the garage next door as a larger structure.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote:Had noticed a little bit of activity around the building at 913 Wyandotte. Always hoped a use would be found for it, but according to Parcel Viewer a pre-demo inspection was in October. Fencing has gone up around it.
proposed 2-story parking garage. no development application has been filed. rumor has it rick powell just wants more parking for his parcels on baltimore (yes, it's the same guy who let the cosby hotel rot...).

:roll:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:I could be wrong, but I think I recall someone saying that building was to be demolished as part of a plan to rebuild the garage next door as a larger structure.
I heard that when I worked next door. They built the garage on the corner to handle a larger structure.

He let that structure go bad too. The top level wasn't usable as far back as 2010
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

DaveKCMO wrote:
mgh7676 wrote:Had noticed a little bit of activity around the building at 913 Wyandotte. Always hoped a use would be found for it, but according to Parcel Viewer a pre-demo inspection was in October. Fencing has gone up around it.
proposed 2-story parking garage. no development application has been filed. rumor has it rick powell just wants more parking for his parcels on baltimore (yes, it's the same guy who let the cosby hotel rot...).

Unbelievable. Has to be city policies in place to prevent these type of property owners from neglecting the area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

hartliss wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:

Unbelievable. Has to be city policies in place to prevent these type of property owners from neglecting the area.
Codes enforcement. But codes enforcement can only fine. it doesn't make someone do any specific work.

And with many of these buildings paying a fine is cheaper than repairing it. The problem thus comes down to the fine structure.
Too many city fine numbers are just too low. For this they haven't kept up with inflation of construction costs.

Let's say someone has been given two warnings and has done nothing, hasn't worked with the city, hasn't returned certified mail and all that.. There should be a new heavy penalty process that follows.

Have an appraisal of the repair cost to fix the problem. After notified doing nothing for 90 days incurs a penalty at 10% of the appraised repair cost. Another 90 days add 10% more to the penalty and so on. Each fine gets added as a standard lien. Filing a permit stops the clock for 90 days to begin repairs. Make it so these penalties must be paid to get any future permits, including demolition. Don't do enough work and you'll quickly find you can't tear the building down, do repairs or such. And with the lean it becomes difficult to sell the property.

It basically puts bad actor owners on notice that ignoring the city and doing nothing isn't an option. That if you want to let a building rot sell it instead and if you want to tear it down, go ahead already and start the process.

This would mean the council only has to come up with a scale, not keep changing numbers over and over and update every few years, spending time on something we could solve all at once.

And this gives an out to a good owner with a process to not pay the penalty. They still pay the fines but instead of paying 10% they can spend the money and do the work.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Just for clarity, are we talking about the building with the Mcwhirter company signage?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

TheLastGentleman wrote:Just for clarity, are we talking about the building with the Mcwhirter company signage?
That's the one.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The plan for the 909 Wyandotte project has shown up on the city Development Tracker Map:
http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/24336

Phase 1 is demo of the McWhirter building to be replaced by a 2-story garage for the Union Carbide Condo building. That is scheduled for March 2018.

Phase 2 is demo of the garage on the corner to be replaced by a 7 story mixed-use building with 48 units residential over retail and garage. Designed by KEM. No scheduled start date for this phase.

It looks like the small surface lot to the east on 9th St is part of this project and will remain parking.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I've been noticing a lot of work being done on this building (street view) the past several weeks. The address on the building says 605 McGee, but the KC parcel viewer is calling it 601 McGee. I see open permits under the name "Joe's Lofts" but I haven't been able to find any other info searching under either that name or by address. Currently the north wall is completely open and new interior wall framing is visible.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am glad to see the SE corner of 9th and Wyandotte be redeveloped with a mixed use building instead of just a new garage.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:I am glad to see the SE corner of 9th and Wyandotte be redeveloped with a mixed use building instead of just a new garage.
be wary. garage first!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

At least they are thinking garage retail but yeah is phase 2 residential really intended. Will they follow through. Who is the developer?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

DaveKCMO wrote: be wary. garage first!
That was my concern, especially with no start date for phase 2 listed.
earthling wrote:At least they are thinking garage retail but yeah is phase 2 residential really intended. Will they follow through. Who is the developer?
The retail is phase 2. Phase 1 is only garage. I get that it is on a fairly small parcel and putting in retail with the garage might be a tight squeeze, but I think they could have fit a small store front.

Rick Powell is listed as the owner in the plans (and presumably the developer).

Since KEM designed 1914 Main and this drawing has a resemblance to that building, I was hoping Linden Street Partners might be involved, but that's probably not the case.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

He used El Dorado on the Union Carbide building
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

swid wrote:The turnover at Stables/Tiger Tail/KC's Garage continues...next up, it'll be Stanford's starting in September.
something weird happened here overnight/this morning. shooting reported at 6am. but i think it closes around midnight? a ton of cops have been posted up outside from at least 9am through 1130 today.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/37586046/at- ... 8th-walnut
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Weird is correct. Why was the bar open at 6 AM?

I walked by there on Friday night, around 10 PM. There was a comic doing his schtick and they were piping the sound outside. It was unbelievably loud. If I lived nearby, I'd be pissed. Unless I loved hearing standup, I suppose.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Can we get Glazer some incentives to move back to Kansas?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The Star has an updated article up; it's almost entirely Glazer's secondhand retelling of what he heard happened, however.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Close this place down