West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: West Bottoms Redevelopment

Post by Highlander »

rxlexi wrote:  Highlander and Grid, I have to say that I disagree with you both re: West Bottoms redevelopment.  
I do not disagree with anything you say.  The west bottoms can someday be redeveloped into an integral part of the city and be a pretty cool place while at it.  My concern is that there is finite money and people in KC to repopulate the urban core and spend it into prosperity.  I'd like to see critical mass developed in those places that have a head start before another node in the urban core attempts to start from scratch and we risk dispersing effort and resources. 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote: as for the west bottoms, it should remain cheap and industrial until the core of downtown is bursting at the seams (which it's most definitely not).
Well, if waving our magic wands actually accomplished anything, the core would be a lot different.  I see this as a similar problem to bringing Hyde Park back to prominence.  There is a huge built infrastructure that is interesting and historic.  The problem is that the same huge inventory of buildings/houses makes it difficult to concentrate revitilization efforts when people can get the perfect place for dirt cheap, not too far away.  I don't think one can avoid this with how our city is currently spread out.  So, instead of lamenting that people are putting new places in the West Bottoms, I think we have to look at the River to Crown, East Crossroads to West Bottoms, as one giant area we are trying to revitalize at once.  If anybody decides to put a concentrated development plan together for any subsection of this area, it is in my eyes a great thing.  The only way I know of to avoid the "we put it wherever we damn well want to" approach is to sell out with TIF or other cupcake deals for very specific areas, but I doubt this will happen anytime soon.  I personally, do not think it wrong to sell our tax souls for infill development in the crossroads, but the current political climate dictates otherwise.  If nothing else, we could start with a benefit for those converting large surface lots into garages with street level retail (16th-17th and Grand; 19th-20th and Grand).
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Why Can't the West Bottoms Be Redeveloped....?

Post by ignatius »

Is great to see W Bottoms starting to come together and attracting a variety of people investing down there.  But they need to be careful getting what they wish for as it may raise taxes if attracting major developers.  It's not always a great thing when the momentum gets so good that it pushes out those who started it.  This is what the W Bottoms needs though and it's good to see the City invest on the infrastructure side.

http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/db_41534 ... ue#display
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That’s good news to Haw, who wants to continue to capitalize on the area’s easy interstate access. He also would like to see the area add a hotel, a residential component, such as apartment buildings or condos, more (higher-paying) jobs, and recreational options for families, such as youth soccer fields.
While I look forward to seeing the area improve and come back, there is no way in hell I'd live in the West Bottoms, or buy a condo.  I think they are living in a fool's paradise if they think any bank is going to loan them money for housing development down there.  I can see maybe some of the warehouse upper floors being converted into artist condos, but certainly nothing newly-built for ordinary people. It's hard enough getting people to buy in the River Market, or build new housing there, and it's way above the flood plain and in much better shape physically.

That flood wall on the south bank of the Missouri is a joke, and even with a flood wall, Turkey Creek is problematic during flooding.
There is no fifth destination.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

FangKC wrote: While I look forward to seeing the area improve and come back, there is no way in hell I'd live in the West Bottoms, or buy a condo.  I think they are living in a fool's paradise if they think any bank is going to loan them money for housing development down there.  I can see maybe some of the warehouse upper floors being converted into artist condos, but certainly nothing newly-built for ordinary people. It's hard enough getting people to buy in the River Market, or build new housing there, and it's way above the flood plain and in much better shape physically.

That flood wall on the south bank of the Missouri is a joke, and even with a flood wall, Turkey Creek is problematic during flooding.
Venice.  It would be awesome.  Bring on the water. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This is neat, but I would personally much rather see more investment in the crossroads first.  The crossroads needs a ton of infill, a ton.  There are even some rehabs that could be done there.

I would really like to see the xroads build up just a bit more before jumping into the west bottoms.  But it's still nice to see.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

this should help, RBar in top 50 bars in America

sorry couldn't find a link to the Esquire story.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

R bar is great! The space and it's place in the city is unique.  A lot of the buildings that are left down there are beautiful.  We should keep on eyes in both areas.  Don't let either lose and more historic buildings and keep the renovations going. 

Crossroads should get infill first.  Add density to that neighborhood until it reaches critical mass.  It needs a few thousand new residents, retail, neighborhood market place etc.  Hopefully the area would be able to retain it's artsy/creative/edgy vibe.

The Bottoms are weird.  What is there should be preserved, but new development?  Not yet at least.  One day it could become a commercial district for new tech companies, green energy industries, & medical marijuana growing/dispensing center if we had such things in KC.
foodsnobnot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by foodsnobnot »

I love the West Bottoms and can envision what renovations could bring.  However, this alone, would keep me from living there...
Community Release Centers and Community Supervision Centers provide the Parole Board and Courts with a structured, residential program to better assist and supervise offenders transitioning from prison to the community or offenders who are at risk of revocation from community supervision. Offenders assigned to these facilities are required to accept personal responsibility in finding and maintaining employment, obtaining substance abuse and medical care and obtaining educational or vocational opportunities. Assessment and treatment sessions are scheduled to coincide with the offenders' off-hours from work.

Kansas City Community Release Center
The Kansas City Community Release Center (KCCRC) opened in May 1978 in the downtown area (651 Mulberry St) of Kansas City. It has a capacity to house 350 offenders.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

West Bottoms is the new Crossroads. Perception is reality.
foodsnobnot wrote: I love the West Bottoms and can envision what renovations could bring.  However, this alone, would keep me from living there...
Everyone that's been in jail or prison is a horrible, dangerous person. Fact!
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Midtownkid wrote: R bar is great! The space and it's place in the city is unique. 
Honestly, not as impressed with R bar as I was when it first opened.  Been there 4 times and the last visit (maybe a month ago) was uninspired.  The cocktail menu had been completely redone.  For the worse, IMO.  And the bartender was a complete douche.  He was quite knowledgeable, but in a really condescending, assholeesque type way. 

Seemed to be more intent upon showing you how much he knew about alcohol than discussing, explaining the cocktails.  And really didn't seem interested in talking about anything but alcohol. 

And there were about 10 people in the entire place - including my GF and I.   
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC-wildcat wrote: Honestly, not as impressed with R bar as I was when it first opened.  Been there 4 times and the last visit (maybe a month ago) was uninspired.  The cocktail menu had been completely redone.  For the worse, IMO.  And the bartender was a complete douche.  He was quite knowledgeable, but in a really condescending, assholeesque type way. 
yeah, the cocktail menu has been abbreviated and the drinks are not as good as when arturo (now at rieger) and shawn (now at majestic) were behind the bar. 

also, as reported in the pitch this week, alex pope (formerly of the american) is leaving his post as chef at R Bar so the owners can focus less on a creative/upscale menu and more on live music. 

it's a great space and concept, but there is something off about it.  the service is really spotty (see my review of R Bar from new year's day 2010).  it doesn't help that one of the owners, when she is around, looks like she is about to explode with stress and hatred.  one time when we were there, she started furiously cleaning tables and putting chairs up well before closing, when there were still 15-20 people around the bar, and the band wasn't done playing yet! 
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It will be interesting to see how the flavor of this place changes, if at all, once chef Pope leaves.  Sounds like management has now driven away a few great bartenders, a well regarded chef, and would like to focus more on music and the bar atmosphere.  I would guess that the area still needs a few more bars to be open at night to be considered a regular hang-out option.  R Bar is still a destination dining/cocktail locale for most.  Gennessee keeping later hours would be a nice start.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

This may sound un-hip/lame/unfair but the west bottoms (including the R Bar) doesn't even come to mind when I think of "nightlife". Am I wrong?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

nilsson1941 wrote: This may sound un-hip/lame/unfair but the west bottoms (including the R Bar) doesn't even come to mind when I think of "nightlife". Am I wrong?
You're absolutely correct.  It's not a nightlife destination.  It's unique, interesting and undsicovered.  I think these attributes should be reflected in R-Bar's menu.

The more main stream and generic this place becomes, the less reason there is to go down there. 

They definately need patio seating.  They definately need live music.  But, these concepts don't need to be mutually exclusive with a great food/drink menu.  Right?

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sorry to hear about the chef change.  We were there last night and it was as great as I've usually found it.  Excellent food, good service and a great red hook.  We've always gone during the week, so I doubt I've been there past 9.  Probably less chance for drama.  I'm bummed.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC-wildcat wrote: They definately need patio seating.  They definately need live music.  But, these concepts don't need to be mutually exclusive with a great food/drink menu.  Right?
well, i would imagine that they want to bring down the food costs dramatically and/or there has been a clash of personalities between management and the chef.  

you do have to wonder what's going on when a place loses two of the best bartenders in town and one of the best young chefs in town.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Really, I think the Manifesto "prohibition" era type places would absolutely thrive in the west bottoms.  Secretive, dimly-lit establishments tucked away in those warehouses would seem to be a big hit.  

And while I agree that I don't want to see new development in WB until XRoads has been built out, I would love to see some cool new bars/restuarants down there.  Especially in the northern end.  I just love the close proximity, density of those warehouses.  Reminds me of an old movie set in a way.  I dunno.  
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

KC-wildcat wrote: I would love to see some cool new bars/restuarants down there.  Especially in the northern end.  I just love the close proximity, density of those warehouses.  Reminds me of an old movie set in a way.  I dunno.  
I agree

Haven't been to the R Bar in a while, but had a positive experience when I went.  Sorry to hear it might be losing it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chrizow wrote: you do have to wonder what's going on when a place loses two of the best bartenders in town and one of the best young chefs in town.
This actually might make me try the place again.  I went the first week they were open and the food was oversauced, oversalted and overpriced.  It's the stockyards, and while it's hard to compete with the name recognition of the Golden Ox across the street, you expect a good rustic menu and a good bartender.