West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: West Bottoms Redevelopment

Post by loftguy »

Gas station is what I heard, too. 

Also supposed to be open both for lunch and breakfast. 
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Why Can't the West Bottoms Be Redeveloped....?

Post by ColumbusParkian »

WSPanic, I was at R Bar on Saturday too! It was an amazing show, and i do love that bar. It was very odd to be on the street and have it seem so desolate, only to walk into the bar and see it was PACKED!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Warning, Clay Chastain style thought ahead.  I've thought for a while that a gondola from Kemper to Bartle or Sprint Center would really set KC apart for tournaments and conventions.  This could also potentially start some development in the bottoms as a shopping and entertainment destination.  Gondolas, as I've seen online only require around $7 or $8 million per mile, and this is just under 2 miles.  Couldn't this help those sinking money into Kemper to try and get more events there?  This would be a good thing to announce along with my long desired World BBQ Hall of Fame, which I would create if I won the lottery.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

ColumbusParkian wrote: WSPanic, I was at R Bar on Saturday too! It was an amazing show, and i do love that bar. It was very odd to be on the street and have it seem so desolate, only to walk into the bar and see it was PACKED!
No doubt - it's a great vibe down there. I wasn't a huge fan of the set-up for a band inside the R Bar. I wouldn't recommend it for a band I actually wanted to "see". The tables remaining set-up in front of the band was a little weird. I think there were only about 15 people in the bar that could really watch the band. Fortunately, I've seen Truckstop Honeymoon many, many times - so I wasn't put off by it. I'm going to check it out this Saturday for the Prairie Acre something Band.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

bobbyhawks wrote: Warning, Clay Chastain style thought ahead.  I've thought for a while that a gondola from Kemper to Bartle or Sprint Center would really set KC apart for tournaments and conventions.  This could also potentially start some development in the bottoms as a shopping and entertainment destination.  Gondolas, as I've seen online only require around $7 or $8 million per mile, and this is just under 2 miles.  Couldn't this help those sinking money into Kemper to try and get more events there?  This would be a good thing to announce along with my long desired World BBQ Hall of Fame, which I would create if I won the lottery.
or just restore any of the old funiculars. no need to string cables all the way to sprint center. the hall of fame is an excellent idea. is there not one somewhere already?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote: or just restore any of the old funiculars. no need to string cables all the way to sprint center.
I just worry that, since they aren't directly connected, convention-goers and convention runners would be afraid of people getting lost.  Aside from a convention tie, I think funiculars to the bottoms would be a great idea, though it is a chicken and egg of needing destinations to have transportation and transportation to have destinations.
DaveKCMO wrote: the hall of fame is an excellent idea. is there not one somewhere already?
Not that I've been able to find.  At least not really anything outside of a website.  Mine would have a rooftop lawn that you could rent out for BBQ events, would have a BBQ school, and allow you to sample and interact with the creation of different types of BBQ from around the world. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: or just restore any of the old funiculars. no need to string cables all the way to sprint center. the hall of fame is an excellent idea. is there not one somewhere already?
How's about catapults?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

bobbyhawks wrote: I just worry that, since they aren't directly connected, convention-goers and convention runners would be afraid of people getting lost.  Aside from a convention tie, I think funiculars to the bottoms would be a great idea, though it is a chicken and egg of needing destinations to have transportation and transportation to have destinations.
ugh. not everything is for the f'ing conventions!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote: the hall of fame is an excellent idea. is there not one somewhere already?
There was a small hall of fame at one time in Kemper.  It was something like a KC Sports HoF.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Bill Haw is still trying to bring back the West Bottoms.

He and others are wanting to break ground this spring on a 5 million dollar 3 story condo project on the site of the vacant gas station across from the Livestock Exchange Building.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

GRID wrote: Bill Haw is still trying to bring back the West Bottoms.

He and others are wanting to break ground this spring on a 5 million dollar 3 story condo project on the site of the vacant gas station across from the Livestock Exchange Building.

Isn't that where Happy Gillis is going?

Not that there isn't more room down there...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: Bill Haw is still trying to bring back the West Bottoms.

I also heard he wants to make the area around Kemper a youth soccer facility. The West Bottoms would be re-branded the "Stockyard District."

Also, did the Happy Gennessee change its name?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Gennessee Royale. Should be open in about a week.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

taxi wrote: Gennessee Royale. Should be open in about a week.
Wow. Awesome news!
mildweed
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mildweed »

Its clear that the West Bottoms are seen as the 'new Crossroads' by many. I think if the KC powers that be want to encourage this, the best thing they could do is subsidize flood insurance for the whole area.

PS http://www.genesseeroyale.com/ - now open.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

What are its hours?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Does the city subsidize flood insurance for the Turkey Creek valley?  SW Boulevard is a higher flood risk than the west bottoms.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KC-wildcat wrote: What are its hours?
http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=17140.0

8-4?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Yep.  The hours, unless they have changed since open, are perplexing.  If you are just staying open for lunch, close at 2:30 or 3:00.  If you are going to serve breakfast, open by at least 7AM.  If you want late afternoon business for happy hour/drinks, at least stay open til 7 or 8.  Hopefully, this is just early operation and staff related, but if they just shifted everything an hour earlier, they'd be better off in my book.  At least they're open on Saturday as well.

By the way, they place is great!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote: Yep.  The hours, unless they have changed since open, are perplexing.  If you are just staying open for lunch, close at 2:30 or 3:00.  If you are going to serve breakfast, open by at least 7AM.  If you want late afternoon business for happy hour/drinks, at least stay open til 7 or 8.  Hopefully, this is just early operation and staff related, but if they just shifted everything an hour earlier, they'd be better off in my book.  At least they're open on Saturday as well.

By the way, they place is great!
And no Sundays. Looking forward to checking it out, but those hours are a bit weird.