West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Why Can't the West Bottoms Be Redeveloped....?

Post by FangKC »

I found this postcard of the Dreyfoos Hotel, which was located on the SE corner of W. 16th Street and Genessee--across from the Stockyards Exchange. The building was later known as the Stockyards Hotel.

The hotel appears to have closed in October of 1969.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/55876734/

Sanborn map showing the Stockyards Hotel.

The site today.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wow. parking.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The only thing worse than tearing down a building is doing nothing with the parking lot that replaces it. It's a waste of the building, it's a waste of the money tearing down the building, it's poor capitalism.

Parking lot owners should be pushing the city for road diets to reduce on street parking. That more don't do this always amazes me.
Even an unmonitored parking lot with a honor system pay box would bring in some money for the owner.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I think you're giving parking lot owners too much credit.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Eon Blue wrote:I think you're giving parking lot owners too much credit.
no, I'm saying most are wasting their money because they're idiots
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If memory serves me this building was not torn down for parking. Believe there was a fire that struck first. Although it was mostly vacant it did have some tenants, full time and temp, at the time.
It has been many years ago.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

New York experiments with tiny "micro" apartments
July 13, 2016
NEW YORK (AP) — New York City's first "micro" apartment complex is open for business, challenging the limits of minimalist living. What the tiny dwellings lack in square footage, they try to make up for in amenities.

Carmel Place, a 55-unit complex that opened June 1 in the Kips Bay neighborhood of Manhattan, represents the first time in decades that the city has allowed apartments to be built this small — ranging from 260 to 360 square feet. That's roughly the equivalent of a one-car garage.

It's the latest entry in a national trend toward smaller urban housing. The rise in single-person households — now nearly a third of New York City's households — and ever-higher rents led the city to approve the experimental project. Carmel Place got city land and a waiver from New York's 400-square-foot minimum on new apartments, set in 1987.

Frank Dubinsky of Monadnock Development, which built Carmel Place along with the Lower East Side People's Mutual Housing Association, said there would probably be more new micro-apartments in New York soon.

Compared to other modern buildings in its neighborhood, Carmel Place offers relatively modest rents, and services and amenities — such as multi-functional furnishings — that are aimed at making small-scale living a little easier. Architectural elements like 8-foot windows and nearly 10-foot ceilings are also meant to make small spaces more livable.

The complex of services and amenities were put together by a company called Ollie, its name inspired by the words "all inclusive."

"Just because people need a living room and a bedroom doesn't mean they need a designated living room and a bedroom. They just need the functionality of both rooms," explains Chris Bledsoe, co-founder of Ollie, which did design work on the apartment interiors as well. The firm nArchitects designed the interior and exterior of the building."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/york-experim ... 42073.html
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

What's this got to do with the West Bottoms?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:What's this got to do with the West Bottoms?
Read the article above about the introduction of mini apts in the West Bottoms. Granted, not as small as those in NYC but smaller than average here.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Had lunch at Rockstar Burgers - next to Lucky Boy's and Voltaire on Gennessee. Seem to have the same decorator as Rhythm/Booze on SW Blvd.

Strange place, but food was fine. We all had burgers w/fries and onion It's cheap, and they're open 24/7 - and serve breakfast all day. Hope they make it.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

WSPanic wrote:Had lunch at Rockstar Burgers - next to Lucky Boy's and Voltaire on Gennessee. Seem to have the same decorator as Rhythm/Booze on SW Blvd.

Strange place, but food was fine. We all had burgers w/fries and onion It's cheap, and they're open 24/7 - and serve breakfast all day. Hope they make it.
Good food. I know the owner of the joint. He is also the co-owner of KC Party bus and Pole Works.

#supportlocalbusiness
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere or not: http://www.kcstockyardsdistrict.com/
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mister816 wrote:
WSPanic wrote:Had lunch at Rockstar Burgers - next to Lucky Boy's and Voltaire on Gennessee. Seem to have the same decorator as Rhythm/Booze on SW Blvd.

Good food. I know the owner of the joint. He is also the co-owner of KC Party bus and Pole Works.

#supportlocalbusiness
For those who like Town Topic, the burger I had was very much like that one, but the veggies were probably a little better quality. This place will be great to remember, especially when Town Topic is overflowing with people after midnight on a weekend.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Also, Stockyard Brewery doesn't have much in the way of food, but there was a note on their FB page that they were cool with BYOBurger.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

grovester wrote:Also, Stockyard Brewery doesn't have much in the way of food, but there was a note on their FB page that they were cool with BYOBurger.
I heard (probably somewhere in this thread) that Voltaire was going to eventually do their kitchen. Which would be great.

I had gone down there on Monday intending to try Lucky Boys - anyone had the food there yet?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

WSPanic wrote:
grovester wrote:Also, Stockyard Brewery doesn't have much in the way of food, but there was a note on their FB page that they were cool with BYOBurger.
I heard (probably somewhere in this thread) that Voltaire was going to eventually do their kitchen. Which would be great.

I had gone down there on Monday intending to try Lucky Boys - anyone had the food there yet?
I've been to Lucky Boys for lunch once and drinks a different time. I dig the divey-ness. I had the patty melt, and thought it was good. Not much really to say about it, it's just a dive with decent sandwiches!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

PumpkinStalker wrote:
WSPanic wrote:

I've been to Lucky Boys for lunch once and drinks a different time. I dig the divey-ness. I had the patty melt, and thought it was good. Not much really to say about it, it's just a dive with decent sandwiches!
I had the Louisville hot chicken sandwich, and it was solid. I agree with your review. It is a nice place to play pool and drink cheap beer. There is a wall of velvet portraits of famous musicians. It embraces its own divey-ness and doesn't try to get too cute with it.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that actually does make a lot of sense for a hotel location. right off of the interstate! can it replace the wendy's?