West Bottoms Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Why Can't the West Bottoms Be Redeveloped....?

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

DaveKCMO wrote:
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
Lucky Boys will be the name of the bar in the former Grandma's Bar space. 'Divey,' yes, but a cultivated dive. Some Westport lifers and art dudes are in charge. Think 70's motorcycle cults, pool hall babes, contemporary trustafarian dirtbaggery. A stabbing or two would enhance the vibe.
great post? Or GREATEST post?
Was Grandma's a gay bar?

The Lucky Boys thing is a bunch of dudes who used to have a spot on Union. They worked on bikes there.
Bruce Bursturt moved in there, he's doing his antiques thing. 'Museum of the West,' its called.
It might've been the Emerald Space, or the address next door.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

grovester wrote:Are we looking at the same page? I don't see anything that looks "great" posted. Or anything particularly gay except perhaps the word "boy" written in cursive. While Lucky Boy may have some connotations, one of the previous posts mentioned trustafarian, so maybe that's the spin.

They do get full props for having Alice featured so prominently on their page though.
This is great, we should have an art critique thread, for everyone's response to First Fridays and otherwise.

The font is classic tattooing. ...or however you read it.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Driving through the West Bottoms today, I noticed that there was a public hearing set regarding the building at 1717 N 9th Street. I didn't stop to read any of the details, but am curious if anyone knows if the hearing is regarding development/remodel of the building or demolition. It really is a nice building with nice street frontage, but sits in a quiet corner of the bottoms.

https://goo.gl/maps/MfsKm4zRvqE2
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

mgh7676 wrote:Driving through the West Bottoms today, I noticed that there was a public hearing set regarding the building at 1717 N 9th Street. I didn't stop to read any of the details, but am curious if anyone knows if the hearing is regarding development/remodel of the building or demolition. It really is a nice building with nice street frontage, but sits in a quiet corner of the bottoms.

https://goo.gl/maps/MfsKm4zRvqE2
I don't see any current permits on KIVA: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/land/ ... pin=123149

Demos usually don't have public hearings, so maybe it's for redevelopment.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i went to check the CPC agenda, but data.kcmo.org is down at the moment :(
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

I'm at the hearing. Case sheet says the owner wants to rezone the site from industrial to downtown mixed use in order for a renovation with possible residential uses.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

4 JE 13. Case No. 14620-P – About 0.3 acres generally located at 1717 W. 9th Street, on
the south side of West 9th Street, just east of State line, to consider rezoning the
site from District M 3-5 (Manufacturing 3 (dash 5)) to District DX-7 Downtown Mixed
Use (Dash 7).
Applicant: 1717 W. 9th LLC
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Owner wants to put a second floor loft unit in the building for herself. She also plans first floor retail space and the remaining area on the second floor will be art studio/gallery space.

The rezoning was approved and applicant will come back later once they have building plans put together.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

JLowe2018 wrote:Owner wants to put a second floor loft unit in the building for herself. She also plans first floor retail space and the remaining area on the second floor will be art studio/gallery space.

The rezoning was approved and applicant will come back later once they have building plans put together.
Nice! Thanks!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Fire broke out this morning in the building on the SE corner of St. Louis Avenue and Hickory. Firefighters were called at 10:15 am and the fire was under control by 11:20 am.

KC firefighters battle building fire in West Bottoms

http://tinyurl.com/gmahom6

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Blip Coffe Roaster building/space
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by archiKC »

Woah, crazy. My wife and I recently started going to the gym located on the 4th floor of this building. Anyone know what the process is for determining the safety of a building after a fire like this in order for business to continue?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Abernathy Furniture buildings have been sold to Cleveland developers.

Developer closes on six-pack of West Bottoms buildings
MCM Co. Inc., a Cleveland-based development firm, has closed on the former Abernathy Furniture complex, which includes six contiguous buildings in Kansas City's West Bottoms.

Dating to 1889, the brick-and-timber warehouse buildings are located southwest of Ninth and Liberty streets in the historic district, which has been experiencing a re-emergence due to recent redevelopment efforts.
http://tinyurl.com/hm79yqr
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I wonder what they plan do as I can't find any experience converting buildings to residential, except for one university housing project...

http://www.mcmcompanyinc.com/portfolio_ ... motors.php
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:Blip Coffe Roaster building/space
Side note about Blip. It is really cool to see how all of the local coffee companies supported this small upstart after the fire. I went to an event and spoke with someone from Blip about the recovery efforts. They still didn't have a new spot, but they were hoping to get roasting again (coffee beans) soon. I think they were selling Blip coffee, sourced from Oddly Correct, at (may be remembering incorrectly) Broadway Cafe. Anyhow, just another example of how cool some industries are to one another when they respect peers that put out good product. I'm not sure if this mentality has been prevalent in other industries for very long, but I think a lot of industries have learned from the "craft" beer industry over the last few decades how a rising tide lifts all ships.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

More info about the apartments that will be located adjacent to Golden Ox can be found on Flaherty-Collins website. Apparently the apartments will be going by the name "The Yards".
There will be approximately 8,000 square feet of first floor “storefront” amenity space, which will be wireless throughout and will include a state of the art fitness center, lounge with commercial grade coffee service, game & leisure room, and leasing office. The project will also have a “Bike Shop”, which will have bike repair tools and premium bike storage. A resort style pool, swim up bar, outdoor TVs, wet deck, and an “outdoor living room” inclusive of fire pits, commercial grade grills (& BBQ Smoker), and outdoor furniture. A dog walk and grooming area will also be part of the project.
http://flco.com/company-properties/the-yards/
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I hope they aren't $2 a sq. foot.
I like the commercial grade grills. And who doesn't love a wet deck? One step up from putting green. I wonder if Wayne Reeder is in on this.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

What is a wet deck?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

chingon wrote:What is a wet deck?
If you have to ask, you clearly shouldn't live there.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I misread it and thought it somehow tied to Lucky Boys across the street.