OFFICIAL - East9 (former Pickwick Plaza)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - East9 (former Pickwick Plaza)

Post by wahoowa »

oh man i'm sorry. i just now saw my post again. i meant to say paleo but was having a hard time remembering the difference between keto or paleo and i guess i split the middle. for some extra color, albeit solely earth tones, i believe the person that gave me this information also mentioned quinoa.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:50 pm i meant to say paleo but was having a hard time remembering the difference between keto or paleo and i guess i split the middle.
Perhaps because all diets are scams.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 pm
wahoowa wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:50 pm i meant to say paleo but was having a hard time remembering the difference between keto or paleo and i guess i split the middle.
Perhaps because all diets are scams.
Years ago during the Atkins period I worked in a grocery store. The diet at the time included branded products that were low carb.

I decided to compare the low fat, regular and Atkins salad dressings of the same brand and type. If you read the nutrition info the serving sizes were the same and the je calories were the same, or so close you wouldn’t notice the difference (ex 155,160,165)

The diet worked early on because it was about eating less food. So much food contains carbs that it was easy to cut 10% from your diet. Once the special food came out the diet failed. Even earlier there were special low fat cookies on the market that just moved the calories from fat to not fat.

In this sense a restaurant targeting a specific diet is the opposite of what you want. It should be hard to eat a certain way, not go to a restaurant that probably serves 30% more calories than the diet wants.

As a business they will either need to go beyond the diet or die with the fad.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 pm Perhaps because all diets are scams.
Says The Thin Man!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Coffee place going in the North corner here. I'm on vacation, but I'll take pictures when able to.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's revocup coffee. No work as of yet it seems. Wouldn't be surprised if this one takes awhile.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The coffee place is on the north end of the Pickwick building, and on the SE corner of 9th and McGee.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Revocup to Rev Up Coffee Scene in Underserved Corner of Downtown

Coffee lovers in the underserved northeast corner of downtown are about to get a place to call their own: Revocup expects to open by early summer at the historic Pickwick Building at Ninth and McGee.

Revocup is a locally-based chain that specializes in Ethiopian coffee, a “high-caliber” bean known for its sweeter and less acidic flavor, according to Michael Johnson. He added Ethiopia is the birthplace of the coffee plant.
https://cityscenekc.com/revocup-to-rev- ... -downtown/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I saw some people doing work at the southern corner where the wine bar was supposed to be. Anyone want to check the permits and see if anything is going on or if they were just scouting?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 pm I saw some people doing work at the southern corner where the wine bar was supposed to be. Anyone want to check the permits and see if anything is going on or if they were just scouting?
Nothing with a McGee address in that block for the last six months.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:28 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:59 pm I saw some people doing work at the southern corner where the wine bar was supposed to be. Anyone want to check the permits and see if anything is going on or if they were just scouting?
Nothing with a McGee address in that block for the last six months.
https://www.utgreenkc.com

Can't quite figure this one out. I'll ask around.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Looks like this is basically true:
wahoowa wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 am went here for the downtown dazzle thing and point blank asked what was going on with cellar rat; they said cellar rat changed course on doing this and passed the project over to some entity that's going to do a kaleo/health/whatever concept, but that cellar rat would be providing the wine for that concept, and cellar rat still works with pickwick on their wine club (or something similar to a wine club). so as all probably suspected at this point, it's not happening.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The coffee shop here is under construction and the restaurant seems to have started basic work.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Keto Kitchen getting permits, looks like corner spot?
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 70a9d885c5
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

84.6% occupied per their leasing website
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

They had a significant problem pre-pandemic with a big amount of their apartments being rented out as Airbnb, short stays, and even partnered with them to make it easier.

If you ever visited, they would always have lock boxes on the door or doors with number keypads instead of real keys.

I highly doubt that number on their website
represents a real number of long term leases by living residents.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:08 am They had a significant problem pre-pandemic with a big amount of their apartments being rented out as Airbnb, short stays, and even partnered with them to make it easier.

If you ever visited, they would always have lock boxes on the door or doors with number keypads instead of real keys.

Does it matter much cash flow wise as long as someone has rented the units out? Not considering that Airbnb lessors may not renew this year.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:32 am
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:08 am They had a significant problem pre-pandemic with a big amount of their apartments being rented out as Airbnb, short stays, and even partnered with them to make it easier.

Does it matter much cash flow wise as long as someone has rented the units out? Not considering that Airbnb lessors may not renew this year.
If you trust the numbers, no. It matters more if they’re on short term leases or the company has a financial interest in those leases.

I believe they continue to be a popular and relatively affordable option at the medium high end. It’s really too bad for them that the federal reserve and East village turned into such disasters.

They did a good job but it’s just a brutal area that happens to be close to the sprint center. I’m guessing that has not worked well for them recently.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Business Journal is reporting that Alchemy Ventures, joined by Rockcrest Holdings, has purchased East 9 Apartments (the former Pickwick Hotel). This is their eighth Kansas City-area acquisition since 2018. They are New York-based, and now own more than 600 apartments in the Metro.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:28 pm The Business Journal is reporting that Alchemy Ventures, joined by Rockcrest Holdings, has purchased East 9 Apartments (the former Pickwick Hotel). This is their eighth Kansas City-area acquisition since 2018. They are New York-based, and now own more than 600 apartments in the Metro.
$65 million renovation bought for $35 million.