Downtown Tanners closing?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Tanners closing?

Post by wahoowa »

bird scooter skate park on another level, streetcar bumper cars on another level
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I was in the basement venue last Saturday night, from 7-10, listening to Vaughan Harrison perform. The place was full, and the intimate yet open nature of the space served it well.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Every time this thread gets bumped I get worried about the downtown Tanners, then remember it's been gone for a decade.

It was funny going back to the start of this thread. I had all but forgotten about how every business that failed back then blamed either P&L or that customers couldn't smoke in them anymore.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:25 pm I had all but forgotten about how every business that failed back then blamed either P&L or that customers couldn't smoke in them anymore.
Even if smoking were allowed in businesses you wouldn't see many choose it because it's just not good business sense.
It's something that tends to alienate non-smokers and they're both the population majority and the income majority.

I am aware there's exceptions to the following, this is more of broad statements:

Smoking is down to nearly 15% of the population, it was above 20% only ten years ago. So a quarter of their customers stopped or died in the past decade.

Smoking has become something that's increasingly a low income activity. Income correlates with education level. People with a GED, 40% smoke. High school diploma, 20%, college degree, 8%.

Even only accounting for age, it's down over time among 18 year olds.

It's well known unemployment is connected to education level. During the recession GED individuals had about 4x the unemployment rate of college educated individuals.

And think about prices. A place catering to lower income individuals is going to be much more at risk of price increases and business drop offs.

So places catering to smokers were statistically more likely to close during the recession because their customers were more likely to become unemployed and unable to afford to go and they were more at risk to these fluctuations in business.

Addiction is only profitable if you sell the addiction.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

tomfooleries is leaving the plaza to move "near 10th and broadway"...
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:15 am tomfooleries is leaving the plaza to move "near 10th and broadway"...
AND when they complete their move it will be re-branded and no longer Tom Fooleries...
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

well, don't really care about that. i assume they will be bringing big buck hunter, as it must be their chief asset. wonder if they're going into the old tanners spot or somewhere else. this building seems a bit of a dumpster fire.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Somewhere in this building it sounds like.

This Broadway bistro complex obviously isn't working
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

Are the arcade and Hush under-performing as much as Broadway Bistro was? The complex can definitely work if all the independent pieces are profitable. To be honest, i'm surprised the bistro piece lasted as long as it did. Even after the "rebrand" into more of a sports bar concept.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

And while I never seem to go there, I do like the basement space. I spent a new years down there when it was Garment House. We had a nice time. Although, I assume Fooleries would just be on the first floor/Tanner's old space.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

snigglefritz wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:03 am Are the arcade and Hush under-performing as much as Broadway Bistro was? The complex can definitely work if all the independent pieces are profitable. To be honest, i'm surprised the bistro piece lasted as long as it did. Even after the "rebrand" into more of a sports bar concept.
The only time there is ever a crowd at the bars inside the building are on Thursdays-Saturday with lines outside the building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What a disappointing ending to this story ...tomfooleries isn't moving. Their owner is going to manage yet another named concept in this building.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... k=hpdigest
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:55 pm What a disappointing ending to this story ...tomfooleries isn't moving. Their owner is going to manage yet another named concept in this building.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... k=hpdigest
What grown man names a place Beer 30? it's like naming a strip club Boobies.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's like naming a bar Puzzles.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Another shooting in front of this place last night.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:58 pm Another shooting in front of this place last night.
A pattern developing?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Appears to be but haven't heard details of where anything orginated
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

I went last weekend and there was a rough crowd in the arcade late and on the 3rd floor in the 10 Spot night club, so hearing of the shooting on Saturday wasn't at all surprising.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It seems like the place is pretty decent before midnight, my wife has been there a couple times and has never had any issues. They will probably end up closing the club part down if these shootings keep happening
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Two is probably enough