Downtown Tanners closing?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Tanners closing?

Post by scooterj »

Neighbors must be pissed, I saw at least 5 new 311 reports filed against them.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

KCLover wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:58 pm I went last weekend and there was a rough crowd in the arcade late and on the 3rd floor in the 10 Spot night club, so hearing of the shooting on Saturday wasn't at all surprising.
I live half a block down on Broadway and I can't count on my hands how many times I almost had to call the police after all the clubs opened.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So is it time for letter to council members or DNA to step in and speak for their neighborhood?
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:08 pm It seems like the place is pretty decent before midnight, my wife has been there a couple times and has never had any issues. They will probably end up closing the club part down if these shootings keep happening
The arcade portion was great and had fun. About 10-10:30 the place started changing though - the lights dimmed and the crowd changed. They brought a DJ in that played some pretty awful rap music at volumes so loud you couldn't hear yourself think to play a game. Upstairs was the same - rap music.
I feel like I'm getting old complaining about awful rap music, but why do it on both floors? It's like they can't keep an identity or figure out what their identity even is. The arcade doesn't have a real dance floor so people are dancing in between the pool tables and in between games, super awkward if you want to play games.
gfenn11 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:47 pm I live half a block down on Broadway and I can't count on my hands how many times I almost had to call the police after all the clubs opened.
I imagine there is a lot more riff-raff and yelling now. You probably get some from The Quaff as well, but it doesn't seem to attract a rough crowd on the regular.
Last edited by KCLover on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

KCLover wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:49 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:08 pm It seems like the place is pretty decent before midnight, my wife has been there a couple times and has never had any issues. They will probably end up closing the club part down if these shootings keep happening
The arcade portion was great and had fun. About 10-10:30 the place started changing though - the lights dimmed and the crowd changed. They brought a DJ in that played some pretty awful rap music at volumes so loud you couldn't hear yourself think to play a game. Upstairs was the same - rap music.
I feel like I'm getting old complaining about awful rap music, but why do it on both floors? It's like they can't keep an identity or figure out what their identity even is. The arcade doesn't have a real dance floor so people are dancing in between the pool tables and in between games, super awkward if you want to play games.
Plus, the blaring music makes it almost impossible to do Guitar Hero, DDR, or any of the other games that include some sort of listening component.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I stopped into the new(ish?) Broadway Grille and Sports tonight. I believe that is the current iterations name at least, the bartender did have a “beer 30” T-shirt on but I did not believe that was the name.

Anyway, trying to not pre-judge the place it seems like it could be really successful if they market it well and get past the multiple rebrands. It could be a much nicer sports bar than the Quaff for the neighborhood at large. It’s a really big space and would need A LOT of people to give it a busy feel. Felt like we were the only ones there even though there were a dozen+ people there when we arrived and double that when we left. Bonus points for having NHL network. Lost points for the bartender not knowing that or that they had Blue Moon eventhough they had it on display at his elbow.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's a shame it's not full. When I first moved to Quality Hill, Tanner's was always full on the weekends, and fairly full on most other nights.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

This might solve the shooting problems but they probably used the wrong words and it might get them in trouble.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/artists-pull ... ZPOfRbb4N4
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I know someone who is closely involved with this and from what I understand, they did not use those words. I was told that, after the last shooting, they decided to stop having rap music and it got interpreted that way, by the one person who was booking/promoting those shows.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

taxi wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:10 pm I know someone who is closely involved with this and from what I understand, they did not use those words. I was told that, after the last shooting, they decided to stop having rap music and it got interpreted that way, by the one person who was booking/promoting those shows.
Shocking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The problem wasn't rap music or any other specific type of music. It is how management of this building has chosen to draw customers and fill up their trashy version of The p&l in my opinion.

Quaff has played rap music with their dj for decades on weekends without problems.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:29 pm The problem wasn't rap music or any other specific type of music. It is how management of this building has chosen to draw customers and fill up their trashy version of The p&l in my opinion.

Quaff has played rap music with their dj for decades on weekends without problems.
Eh certain types of rap attract the wrong crowd. This happened with Skybox, NV, various places in Westport. The owners comment if true was stupid but there is truth about hip hop shows in the city bringing in bad apples.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

10 spot out. Another concept in.

When will this place just give up?
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:28 pm 10 spot out. Another concept in.

When will this place just give up?
They just installed a very fancy lighting system that I can see every night on the top floor... So I guess not anytime soon!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Money doesn't seem to be a problem with these guys they just don't seem to have any business since bar wise.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The building that once housed the Downtown Tanner's, at 1000 Broadway, appears to be up for sale.

https://clemonslife.com/commercial-list ... 79878-sale