What lies beneath...

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

This thread is dedicated to Oak Tower and its beautiful architecture. I am hoping City Hall may see this thread, or I am hoping to convince City Hall to remove the covering on Oak Tower to reveal its former majesty.
Here are some photos from a book I bought on amazon.com entitled "Kansas City, Missouri And Architectural History, 1826-1990"
It's amazing art deco and gothic facade might have rivaled the former Fidelity National Bank and Trust Building, or even the Power and Light Building. It was built in 1919 then raised from 14 floors to 28 floors in 1929. The architects of Hoit, Price and Barnes designed it.
The next renovation was in the 70s but was a disaster, it may have been a success in the interior, but on the outside, it turned one of Kansas City's treasures into a white ghoul.
The owners vennered the building and recolored it. Covering up the wonderful architecture to make it more "modern". Now we treasure our past and we should preserve these treasures. Oak Tower needs to be uncovered and needs to be fixed back to the way it was.
The following are the photos I scanned which came out of the above mentioned book. Both photographers are unknown.
ImageImage
But now, Kansas City only has to display its ghostly white and grey sheet:
We need to realise this cannot happen again. We need to uncover it and see what really lies beneath.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

What lies beneath...

Post by tat2kc »

Excellent research, Devin! I never realzed that the building used to be quite beautiful. What were they thinking?????? Renovating that building, inside and out would be a huge step forward. How much is that building occupied at the moment?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

What lies beneath...

Post by GuyInLenexa »

What a terrible loss. I am certain that much of the gothic detail was destroyed to put the new wall curtain up.
I wonder if you could even find artisans of that caliber to restore it, much less the money to do it.
A very interesting post, Devin.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

the book doesn't say anything about destroying things, just covering it up and repainting.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

What lies beneath...

Post by mean »

Nice, Devin! Oak Tower used to be so awesome. I knew it was cool, but that detail of the windows blows my mind. HOW COULD THEY COVER THAT UP?!?!?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

What lies beneath...

Post by dangerboy »

I don't think City Hall owns that building, just leasing some space there. You can thank SW Bell for covering up the building, and for their crappy 1970s building next door.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

What lies beneath...

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I hope you are right, but if you notice, the new window are flush against the outer curtain wall. The pre-ruined building has the windows recessed. It would make me thing that they had to level the brick to put the new curtain wall up.
Does your book say who did the renovation (or should I say defacing) project. If the company still exists, perhaps more could be found out on this.
It reminds me of the Chicago Times building. If it were like that today, it would rival the Power and Light Building with it's striking design.
I hope they at least remove the microwave towers off the top.
Again, very good research, Devin. Very enlightening.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

it doesnt say who did it, just that the owner who we assume is SBC did it. I doubt theyd take off the ornaments because itd cost way too much.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

What lies beneath...

Post by Brooksider »

Wow. I'd forgotten how beautiful that building was. I had always heard that all of the ornaments were removed. I hope they are still under that ugly facade.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

What lies beneath...

Post by Midtownkid »

Devin, you are reminding me of myself about a year and a half ago...I was on the old development board and I brought this up...I found it in a book one day too...that's funny. I definitely agree...the building was destroyed by the 70s...lick many of the first levels on buildings on Grand. If you go down perrtcoat lane toward main street and look at 1100 Oak, you can see that some of that siding was taken off on the 18-20 floors or so. A lot of the bigger pieces of terra cotta were removed...but the graceful lines in the remaining terra cotta is still beautiful and much better than that crap on it. The lobby was saved and restored from the "modernization." They should complete the job now... Come on City Hall!
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

and concrete can be put in place of the old ornaments (provided it is sculpted like the old ornaments)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

What lies beneath...

Post by GRID »

The building at 14 stories:

City Hall leases much of this building. I hate that crap they put on it and always wondered if they tore off the old stuff or covered it up.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

bump
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

It's Already Gone

Post by FangKC »

Devin, have you become a preservationist? :lol: =D>

I have that book that Devin cited in his post. It's by local architectural historian George Ehrlich, who I believe is on the faculty at UMKC. If memory serves me correctly, he is a past member of the Kansas City Landmarks Commission, and a member of the Historic Kansas City Foundation.

In Erhlich's book, on page 92, he states "In both stages the (SW Bell) building was given Gothicized detailing, and stepback parapets of the 1929 addition were particularly impressive examples of bold relief ornament and how it functioned. The past tense has to be used in this case, because while the building still stands, its original facade does not. It was veneered and color added in 1974-76. The stucco of marble aggregate and the paint were at attempt by a new owner to modernize the exterior in conjunction with an interior renovation."

I seem to recall reading somewhere else that the original gothic exterior decorative elements were removed in the 70s renovation. If one studies the photo of the original building against the photo of the present building, one can see that those decorative elements were removed, and don't remain. It appears that there is no exterior facade left underneath from that era, and no outer shell to remove to reveal such.

That is a terrible shame, and I wish it wasn't so. It would be prohibitively expensive to replace those elements today, and one would have difficulty finding artisans who could. The only artisans that still practice that craft are mostly Europeans who work on gothic cathedrals there.

I'm sure that if local preservationists prepared a list of terrible architectural loses in KC history, losing the gothic facade of the SW Bell Building/Oak Tower would be among them.

Had that facade remained, the SW Bell Building would have been a valued architectural treasure--like the Power and Light Building, Municipal Auditorium, City Hall, and the Jackson County Courthouse.

Other than various churches around town, the SW Bell Building was the among few of the gothic-inspired buildings in the city, and it was the only truly gothic-styled skyscraper in Kansas City. It would have been KC's version of the Woolworth Building in New York; or as GuyinLenexa stated, the Chicago Tribune Building in Chicago. All the other aforementioned buildings are different styles of art-deco; whereas the SW Bell Building was of gothic design that preceded art deco.

While the Firestone and Kansas City Club buildings are gothic-inspired, they are more restrained versions of gothic design; whereas the SW Bell Building was pure gothic.

When one becomes of aware of losses like the facade of the SW Bell Building/Oak Tower, I think it's an opportunity to become more aware and active in preserving architecture. Now we see the value of how that building once appeared. With hindsight, we see the error of removing that facade to modernize. That building would be much more attractive now had that facade been retained, and it would have more aesthetic and intrinsic value than what is there now.

One thing I noticed in the American Institute of Architects Guide to Kansas City Architecture and Public Art is that the SW Bell/Oak Tower was not included as an architecturally significant building. It probably would have been included had that facade not been removed.

Preservation of old buildings doesn't necessarily mean that modifications and renovations cannot be done. The Oak Tower could have had the interior remodeled and the exterior left intact, and it wouldn't have significantly affected the owners ability to utilize the building and keep tenants.

One can preserve old buildings and find new uses for them without changing their appearance dramatically. That's why I'm fighting to save the Empire Theater and President Hotel. Saving those buildings and finding a profitable reuse is important, so that we don't bemoan there loss in the future--as we are now with the loss of the original facade of the SW Bell/Oak Tower building.
There is no fifth destination.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

i was just thinking, why dont they just remove the wood paneling on the outside? what is left will have to look better than what is on now.
With some nice sandblasting, lighting, and new windows it could be just as wonderful as it used to be.
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

What lies beneath...

Post by Good2Great »

As a contractor, I'm GUESSING that the exterior renovations to the outside of the building are more than a simple facade that can be peeled away like a banana...but it was a great looking building.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

here is what sanborn fire insurance maps in 1951 say:
Fireproof Cronstruction Built 1919
Concrete floors rf & beams br
walls pilast'd false wood rf
if it means anything???
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

What lies beneath...

Post by Good2Great »

It appears they chopped the ornamental goodies off the top. The new photo appears to be more compact than the original.
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

yes, but it will still have the look of the professional building which is better than just a flat surface.
KCDevin

What lies beneath...

Post by KCDevin »

Email from Bradley Wolf at City Hall:
It is a great building. It would be nice if someone could restore the
facade and restore it to its original grandeur. I have attached a
photograph for the tower from the 1940s tax assessor's photos we have
in
our office. Its fuzzy but not bad. We have various resources in the
Landmarks Office that you can research M-F, 8-5. Please give me or
Heather
a call if you wish to come in and research. Thanks for the
information.
He did give me a photo. Although I do not know if he would appreciate me posting it on the internet...