Making downtown more pedestrian friendly

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Making downtown more pedestrian friendly

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:46 am Barking up the wrong tree with this. Please stop.
That's your opinion. There's other people who think that there needs to be more focus on not blaming pedestrians in accident reports and gathering better data on the type of pedestrian is a first step.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What other data do you want them to collect.?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

There should be space on the form to explain the pedestrian's opinion on transit.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:41 pm What other data do you want them to collect.?
The officer doesn’t need to see a person’s disability situation as contributing to check a box stating they’re disabled. But if there’s continued accidents involving people with disabilities near a nursing home it shows a trend in an area of an at risk population more likely to be killed in an accident. Right now they gather only age in this section and age doesn’t tell everything.

There's no checkbox for "stroller" or "wheelchair" but there is a checkbox for the type of bus.
Does it matter if the bus is local or intercity if recording the death of a pedestrian?

Knowing if they were on crutches and thus had no chance of making the light cycle is way more contributing than the weight of the vehicle. Notice that disabilities fall under "other" as probable causes. Look at crossing road. There's no "they had a signal but it was too short" on the list. So it's really hard to prove what we know today, that many pedestrian crossings are too short for those with disabilities.

All those small details around ped signal lengths, crossing designs are categoried under "other" and hoping the officer remembers to note the information that becomes usable information that can be used to quantify changes.

Why does the only time it matters to be a child when they're going to school? If they went home and now are walking to the playground that falls under written details. We aren't gathering information on all the most common "other" aspects of kids walking. I sure would want to know if most children's deaths when hit by cars is within a block of a park and right now we have to hope the officer chooses to note how far they are from a park. But knowing if the driver was on a motorized bicycle or pedacycle (their term) matters more.

There's space to identify a truck carrying 1, 2, 3 OR 4 units total or that the body type is a concrete mixer, auto transport, gravel truck and more. I can see the weight being contributing but how does a log trailer vs a pole trailer make a difference in most cases? That could fall under "other" just as easily if deemed contributing.

There's also an aspect not yet on the list that I didn't put the page.
There's no checkbox for being in a bike box, there's no trail crossing checkbox, there's nothing about cycle tracks. Many of these things have been around for decades. There's nothing about being at a bus stop
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Got it, no other details. Recording if a pedestrian was in a bike box? Wtf.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

https://twitter.com/kclightrail/status/ ... 80736?s=21

Good example that what we report matters. It’s all part of the same problem
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That has zero to do with that form is my point.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Rainbow crosswalk movement met with resistance in KC

https://www.startlandnews.com/2019/06/r ... dium=email

Here is what San Antonio did - Can't believe they are more progressive than KC
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think this might be a little overblown. My read of it is that it's an unclear project with regulatory issues and no funding.

I don't think any of it has too much to do with rejecting the advocacy.

Tbh I read the whole article and couldn't figure out what he wanted. Pride has too much sex and drinking (you all are on a different streetcar than me), so he wants to paint a random sidewalk somewhere downtown.

No plan, no regulatory thought, no money. And now we're supposed to get upset?

I'm not feeling the outrage.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Would it be cool? Sure! Is it an insult to the LGBTQ community and a wholesale rejection that they are normal humans deserving of love and respect if we don't immediately do it? Kinda, no.

These are hills I would never die on, but I do hope we manage to reach some place of sanity around these issues in my lifetime.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It honestly annoys me that he trashes kcpride, and then is like on the alternative I nominate that street to be decided later the center of all sober, lgbtq.

A lot of people put real time and effort into that.

Not going to lose too much sleep here
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Those crosswalks belong on Broadway between Armour and 39th!

Always thought that little stretch could develop nicely into the city's 'Gay District'. It's got a start, but more gay bars, shops and maybe a small boutique hotel could really push it into a real district. Maybe the crosswalks could help push it that direction.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I personally tell people all the time that KC doesn't have a "gay district" that Kc in general is the gayborhood. Gays everywhere!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No one asked the Crossroads, as far as I know. Not saying it wouldn't be supported (we've tried repeatedly to get new crosswalks and been rebuffed), but it would be nice to have formal neighborhood support that the city pretty much requires anyway.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

nickyrosstheboss wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm I personally tell people all the time that KC doesn't have a "gay district" that Kc in general is the gayborhood. Gays everywhere!
Not that I agree, but according to Zillow - KC's gayborhood is Longfellow which they say has 5.7% same-sex couples

https://www.zillow.com/research/afforda ... ods-24335/

http://zillow.mediaroom.com/2019-05-23- ... Gayborhood