New Townhomes in west River Market? (along Wyandotte)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

New Townhomes in west River Market? (along Wyandotte)

Post by ComandanteCero »

from El Dorado's upcoming projects section:
Rivermarket Townhomes

In response to the number of loft/condos in the market, the client desired to experiment with a shotgun-like townhouse approach to urban living.  Located on the west side of the River Market neighborhoods, the site is currently a parking lot.  Lined along Wyandotte Street, the housing maintains the existing number of parking spaces, meeting the neighborhood zoning laws.  Constructed of concrete foundations and exposed glue-laminated beams, the project offers a combination of one and two-bedroom townhomes with full height basements, living, dining, kitchens, at least two full bathrooms, and roof decks/gardens for outdoor living.  New street trees and ten foot deep yards provide a relief from heat gain and a buffer from the city street.
the images look decent, although i would like to see greater density in that area

www.eldoradoarchitects.com
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: New Townhomes in west River Market? (along Wyandotte)

Post by zonk »

i think this is located on the surface parking lot across from HOK SVE.  I think Tom Trabon is the owner/developer.  His son is taking over the Delaware Cafe at 3rd & Delaware.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

They look cool.  I love the trademark wood slats that El Dorado always employs.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

So, is this a done deal or just a concept?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I don't mind shotgun low-rise smaller structures, but lets put more than one unit in them. I don't want to turn the River Market into a place of New Urbanist McMansions. We need density to make this neighborhood great.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

Other than they aren't tall, the rendering on the website looked "dense" to me for this kind of development.  Shoulder-to-shoulder townhomes seem a nice option.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: I don't mind shotgun low-rise smaller structures, but lets put more than one unit in them. I don't want to turn the River Market into a place of New Urbanist McMansions. We need density to make this neighborhood great.
That's quite a jump to say this encourages new urbanist mcmansions...

I think great cities mix densities. I don't see a problem with building single family houses that respect the pedestrian and street in the River Market. It's not like this is going in at 13th and Main. RM has the potential to be the premier urban housing destination and projects like this from el dorado push them towards that goal.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When is construction set to start?
There is no fifth destination.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

trailerkid wrote: That's quite a jump to say this encourages new urbanist mcmansions...
See also City Homes. You aren't going to achieve residential density giving everyone 1500 square feet in a free-standing unit. I guess this is better than the parking lot, by far, however.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

*Not saying this is a fact but,*  Maybe you can't attract residents without giving everyone 1500 sqft in a free standing unit.  At least for that price...
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

I just spent a good ten minutes cruising the site without finding anything specific about this.  Would someone mind enlightening me, or providing a more direct link?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's under "Projects," then "On the Boards," then "River Market Townhouses."
There is no fifth destination.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Midtownkid wrote: *Not saying this is a fact but,*  Maybe you can't attract residents without giving everyone 1500 sqft in a free standing unit.  At least for that price...
I understand that we've got a fickle market. My point is that the paradigm shift and the product at least have to meet in the middle. It rubs me the wrong way to see low-density row home McMansions in my neighborhood.

I'm really reacting more to City Homes. At least these could be built with some quality.

I just don't want to see this become the trend. The only new product we're getting in the River Market is single family. It is a small area. We don't have an unlimited amount of space to put up homes to gain 20-30 new residents. We'll kill ourselves with a "take what we can get" attitude.
Last edited by staubio on Wed May 21, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

staubio wrote: I understand that we've got a fickle market. My point is that the paradigm shift and the product at least have to meet in the middle. It rubs me the wrong way to see low-density row home McMansions in my neighborhood.

I'm really reacting more to City Homes. At least these could be built with some quality.

I just don't want to see this become the trend. The only new product we're getting in the River Market is single family. It is a small area. We don't have an unlimited amount of space to put up homes to gain 20-30 new residents. We'll kill ourselves with a "take what we can get" attitude.
I hate to bring this up, but the new stuff in the Pearl District in Portland is like tower, midrise, single fam, tower, single fam, mid-rise, tower. The single family stuff is quite appealing and interactive at street level. A tourist could probably spit on someone's front door. It's basically recreating the old, "Eastern style " urban residential in a Pacific Northwest, modern interpretation. Adding urban, single family homes in the center of the city belongs as long as its done to match its environment.
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

staubio wrote: I'm really reacting more to City Homes. At least these could be built with some quality.
What is wrong with the quality of City Homes.  I went through them and they looked very nice.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

The 100 year old brick homes in the area will be around for another hundred years...

Those new homes will look like crap in 5-10 years. Waferboard does not hold up to moisture very well.
Valdoro
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Valdoro »

Waferboard??  It's callled brick and stucco---real portland cement stucco; OMG not another armchair architect!
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Valdoro wrote: Waferboard??  It's callled brick and stucco---real portland cement stucco; OMG not another armchair architect!
OMG!?!!? OMG?!?! IS IT REALLY PORTLAND STUCCO?!?!? WOW!!!! I'm guessing you have something to do with the project? Which townhomes are we talking about? The ones I'm thinking of are a bunch of Stucco covered waferboard homes...
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

This is opposite of what I've seen at City Homes....on all my tours the quality there is probably the best i've seen of all downtown/plaza condo projects. 

I'm not sure about this "waferboard" discussion.....?  LiLo....you off the wagon again?  :lol:
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

- I've never heard of waferboard (plywood made with random chips instead of laminated into sheets) as having a particular problem with moisture, any more so than any other wood product.  I think you may be thinking of masonite, but I'm not sure.
- The inner portion of the building envelope where the waferboard is, shouldn't be coming into contact with water anyway.  It would only happen if the overall workmanship were poor--roof, window openings not flashed / caulked correctly, or maintenance neglected.