The Future of Crown Center

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: The Future of Crown Center

Postby nomadcowatbk » Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 pm

the hotel chains will probably just start things to compete with Airbnb

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu May 17, 2018 4:17 pm

nomadcowatbk wrote:the hotel chains will probably just start things to compete with Airbnb

one site I saw said 24,000 hotel rooms are on the service already.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Sat May 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Yeah AirBNB is just another type of product, and a great option to have. The nature of hotel/hospitality industry is that it shuffles around and morphs into different products over time. Downtown KC needs rooms no matter the current state of what's hot in the industry. KC metro currently has about 35K rooms but downtown is (well was) below average. What will happen is just a geo shift of more in city and less in burbs (especially overbuilt airport) while maintaining about 35K rooms metro wide (then growing as metro grows).

My bet is that unless KC metro can support a lot more rooms next few years, a few airport hotels will be first to shut down before downtown hotels do.

Gaining downtown HQs is a factor too but the last two places I have worked downtown were national branch offices and every week there have been people from other cities visiting KC office (whether vendors or employees from other offices). Sometimes they had to stay at airport hotel if an event downtown. You don't _need_ HQs to fill up hotel rooms but helps.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower

Postby brewcrew1000 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:59 pm

earthling wrote: You don't _need_ HQs to fill up hotel rooms but helps.

I kind of agree with this statment. Take a look at the Twin Cities. They have tons of huge powerful companies like 3M, General Mills, Cargill, Best Buy, Polaris, United Healthcare and they are all scatered in suburban areas all over the twin cities. There are only a few big companies actually located in downtown Minneapolis. Minneapolis also has to compete with St Paul for HQ office space.

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Sat May 19, 2018 7:33 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
earthling wrote: You don't _need_ HQs to fill up hotel rooms but helps.

I kind of agree with this statment. Take a look at the Twin Cities. They have tons of huge powerful companies like 3M, General Mills, Cargill, Best Buy, Polaris, United Healthcare and they are all scatered in suburban areas all over the twin cities. There are only a few big companies actually located in downtown Minneapolis. Minneapolis also has to compete with St Paul for HQ office space.

It makes a big difference - HQ vs branch office. If company has 30 branch offices and has a training seminar attended by 3 people from each office, that's 90 people coming to the HQ city. Conversely, the branch office city may only get a few people at a time visiting from the main office. That was the way my company in Houston worked. We did a good job when times were good at helping keep Houston's hotels fill. But only a few people ever ventured out at a time going to the outlying offices. Not much different than the hub and spoke airline system.

Return to “Downtown”