The Future of Crown Center

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: The Future of Crown Center

Post by kboish »

CC has a long term master plan that is similar to what you are talking about, but it is just a site plan- not really based on anything imminent. Unless you've heard something new?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Likely the case but a July release/update is mentioned. I don't recall previous master plans specifying 2M sqft office. But given no word from development media since July, maybe not much to it.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah, I'm not sure where the 2 million sqft comes from, but here is a link to their approved development plan.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... NjoDad7dUh

This is a relevant screen shot.

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

More from their approved master plan

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Good tidbits. I've pinged Kevin Collison, asking him to check into any actual movement with CC plan lately, particularly office space.

Downtown vacancy is just about at the point that it's possible CC might go for an office building w/out a major tenant signed. Plaza vacancy is really tight but they don't have anymore space to develop and Plaza potential candidate tenants seem to favor CC over CBD. Spec building might be possibly coming but I still have some doubts. Would be a great vote of confidence if CC makes a move.
Last edited by earthling on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

You can see that they had to sell off C3b, C3a, and C1b because time was up on incentives and it needed to get developed to receive the approved incentives.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

And the Gallerie development is taller and twice as many units as in the master plan.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

That master plan seems out of date. Remember the updated plan that was passed around a few years ago?

http://www.goodyclancy.com/projects/cro ... tion-plan/

Can't wait for them develop the rest of their land, especially if it stays close to the visioning images from the plan above.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I dunno. Go search the clerks website for yourself. Put in "crown center". The only (relevant) thing that comes up is the master plan i linked to and one amendment removing the parcels sold for the Gallerie development. While they may have floated new concept designs, they only have one approved plan. Of course, they can always amend it to meet current market needs...which i'm sure they will do.

And besides, that rendering is still the same basic concept.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

None of this matters without a major employer moving to downtown. A skyline full of empty spec buildings is without substance anyways.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

JBmidtown wrote:None of this matters without a major employer moving to downtown.
Very true
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The plan still refers to the Hyatt Regency, so overall out of date but maybe still the general ideas are the same for the surface lots.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

horizons82 wrote:That master plan seems out of date. Remember the updated plan that was passed around a few years ago?

http://www.goodyclancy.com/projects/cro ... tion-plan/

Can't wait for them develop the rest of their land, especially if it stays close to the visioning images from the plan above.
This master plan is dated from 2014 and I believe those renderings from Good Clancy have been around since at least 2013, so I'm guessing this master plan may be more up to date/relevant.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

ldai_phs mentioned a July update on last page, which spurred the discussion again. But no link on update found. Have pinged Kevin Collision about checking into it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

ldai_phs wrote:4 new office towers with a combined 2 million sqft of office space, additional retail, and residential buildings are all planned for Crown Center per a Crown Center release. Not sure what exactly the timeline would be on this considering their release from July is the first and only time I have heard of them expanding Crown Center(next 20 years was said). Anyone know more? Is this just another pipe dream from Crown Center or are they actually working on something?

https://www.crowncenter.com/Resource_/P ... y_2017.pdf
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There is a request for alley vacation at 2720 Walnut that just showed up in the KCMO Development Tracker map.

Walnut doesn't currently exist at that location (address may be a remanent of the past). There is no document or details available to see who applied for the vacation or what project this would be part of. The map shows this being on the wedged shaped parcel between Grand and Main, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is off and it is actually part of the Gallerie project.

If it is for the wedge lot, this could be related to the Crown Center condo tower that was mentioned in the Three Light article. From the master plan above, it looks like Hallmark doesn't currently have plans for that lot, so it may be another developer who has it under contract.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:There is a request for alley vacation at 2720 Walnut that just showed up in the KCMO Development Tracker map.

Walnut doesn't currently exist at that location (address may be a remanent of the past). There is no document or details available to see who applied for the vacation or what project this would be part of. The map shows this being on the wedged shaped parcel between Grand and Main, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is off and it is actually part of the Gallerie project.

If it is for the wedge lot, this could be related to the Crown Center condo tower that was mentioned in the Three Light article. From the master plan above, it looks like Hallmark doesn't currently have plans for that lot, so it may be another developer who has it under contract.
Project: 1761V
Company: Hallmark Cards
Filer: Corporate Realestate Manager @Hallmark
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

https://cityscenekc.com/crown-center-of ... partments/

Collison wrote an article regarding some of our previous discussion on the crown center sites and potential new high rise apartments. The site is directly west of where the 2nd phase of the Milhaus project is planned to go up. If Milhaus buys this land, plus the land they just bought north of the railroad trench, I hope they aren't just land banking property in order to protect their first investment. I know when they first moved into the market they talked about future opportunities in the city, so it is possible they will just keep building. It is a lot on one developers plate, though. And it will take them a long time to build out all those parcels. I'd rather see someone else get ahold of this property so we can keep things moving.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'd kind of like to see a new developer come in and build something, so as not to have too much similarity in design.