AMC and Ten Main Center

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: AMC and Ten Main Center

Post by KCPowercat »

well it's not like there is a lack of ground level retail spaces.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote:well it's not like there is a lack of ground level retail spaces.
There is an aching need for 10x, 20x, 100x the ground level retail space.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:well it's not like there is a lack of ground level retail spaces.
There is an aching need for 10x, 20x, 100x the ground level retail space.
Agreed--a lot of the existing vacant retail spaces aren't very well suited for many types of businesses, IMHO. They've been crammed with low ceilings into the bottom of parking garages, or they're the only retail bay on the block preventing any sort of synergy from happening. I think it is difficult for any business to succeed in those kinds of spaces. Fortunately we're beginning to see better retail bays in the bottom of new garages and apartment buildings.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

DaveKCMO wrote:per a tenant in the building, they're converting some additional floors to residential.
the whole building is going residential. They are just doing a few floors out a time so they didn't have to kick all the office tenants out at once.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dnweava wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:per a tenant in the building, they're converting some additional floors to residential.
the whole building is going residential. They are just doing a few floors out a time so they didn't have to kick all the office tenants out at once.
We were told that they were converting the top several floors--but keeping office in the lower half. This may have changed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I could walk Mildred's to 10 spaces within 2 blocks that would fit them fine.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:I could walk Mildred's to 10 spaces within 2 blocks that would fit them fine.
There are definitely a few places. I just think in general we have a dearth of good retail locations available.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Help me understand....Maybe a street view of urban retail in another city
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Help me understand....Maybe a street view of urban retail in another city
Think of any successful retail area in a city. Is there a single store on the block? Or are there multiple retailers? I submit that the new P&L apartments got this right in that they have a couple of retail bays along Baltimore--while not leased yet I predict those will do good business. I compare that to the single retail bay in the new Corrigan garage. I think it will be much more difficult for that space to succeed because it is lonely all by itself.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

I'd have to imagine that the proximity of the Main St. transit hub also plays a significant role in the difficulty of finding a commercial tenant for the southeast corner.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Brodees wrote:I'd have to imagine that the proximity of the Main St. transit hub also plays a significant role in the difficulty of finding a commercial tenant for the southeast corner.
Was that a Commerce branch at some point? Always seems like a weird space to me, though I'm sure the transit center doesn't help. OTOH In & Out has no trouble.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

another floor of residential has been added, this time above the retail spaces in the attached parking structure facing main street. here's the view of main street from the homes tour (floor to ceiling windows, quite the contrast to the main building):

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Plan showed up today on Compass for conversion of 15th-17th floors from office to residential. Assuming this would be another 30 units based on the earlier conversion of 18-20.

KCDowntown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:03 pm Plan showed up today on Compass for conversion of 15th-17th floors from office to residential. Assuming this would be another 30 units based on the earlier conversion of 18-20.

KCDowntown
Is the plan to convert the entire building to residential as space becomes available?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

normalthings wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:54 pm
KCDowntown wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:03 pm Plan showed up today on Compass for conversion of 15th-17th floors from office to residential. Assuming this would be another 30 units based on the earlier conversion of 18-20.

KCDowntown
Is the plan to convert the entire building to residential as space becomes available?
When I worked in the building they were actively relocating office tenants to lower floors. Given the amount of apartments already going into the building on the top floors and ground floor, I suspect the plan is to fully convert to residential.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The Price Brothers have purchased the building for $48 Million and plan to convert the remaining floors into 135 apartment units (total would then be 251). There are no plans to build on top of the neighboring parking garage (for now at least).
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... amily.html
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:38 pm The Price Brothers have purchased the building for $48 Million and plan to convert the remaining floors into 135 apartment units (total would then be 251). There are no plans to build on top of the neighboring parking garage (for now at least).
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... amily.html

Price Brothers popping up more and more…too bad most of their investments sit in a stall..maybe this one will be different
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

hartliss wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:32 pm Price Brothers popping up more and more…too bad most of their investments sit in a stall..maybe this one will be different
Curious how their plan to tear down the buildings at 31st and Main plays into any request for incentives on this project. You’d have to think councilpeople would want to connect the two in negotiations.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

With our luck they’ll empty out the building and then not touch it for 10+ years
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:20 pm
hartliss wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:32 pm Price Brothers popping up more and more…too bad most of their investments sit in a stall..maybe this one will be different
Curious how their plan to tear down the buildings at 31st and Main plays into any request for incentives on this project. You’d have to think councilpeople would want to connect the two in negotiations.
I don’t think it changes much since 31st and Main is Price Management, a separate company but same family members. Was formed from a family feud of sorts.