Quality Hill Playhouse Expansion

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Quality Hill Playhouse Expansion

Post by jimb »

I searched to see if there was already a thread on this, but didn't see one.  This article was in the Star a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 42785.html

Short version is that QHP is taking over all non-garage space in the 10 Central Garage, expanding their theatre operation and opening a restaurant in the space Channel 29 used to take up.  They will also move their entrance to the corner, making it much more visible.

I was surprised to read that they bring in 30,000 people a year downtown.

I was at the theatre last night and looked at the renderings Helix did mounted on the wall.  When done, this is really going to liven up this stretch of Central.

Congratulations to Kent, Rick, and the rest of the team there.  And btw - the Christmas show is really good this year.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Quality Hill Playhouse Expansion

Post by AllThingsKC »

jimb wrote: I was surprised to read that they bring in 30,000 people a year downtown.
This could be an inflated number.  But, yeah, they do bring much more people in that we realize.  They're underrated.  They are kind of big deal downtown. 

Glad to see that they're making a good thing even better.
KC is the way to be!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The renderings look great. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to a show here.

Sienna is currently in the garage as well, right? Are they connected to the theater? Is this new design going to displace them?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Sound like really good improvements. I've always been surprised there aren't more bistros in the Theater District.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They do bing a lot of regular patrons to the neighborhood. I wish that QHP would continue to grow in popularity to the point where they can move into the Lyric Theater and give it a new purpose.
There is no fifth destination.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

FangKC wrote: I wish that QHP would continue to grow in popularity to the point where they can move into the Lyric Theater and give it a new purpose.
That would be nice, to ensure it stays around for all to enjoy. 
staubio wrote: The renderings look great. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to a show here.

Sienna is currently in the garage as well, right? Are they connected to the theater? Is this new design going to displace them?
I too, am ashamed I have not been here.  I haven't even been to Sienna Bistro, but I've yet to hear a bad review about it.  I should prioritize this place and check it out. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

staubio wrote:
From the presentation I attended, it looks like Sienna is to be replaced with a much larger restaurant/bar that will take up the length of the storefront along Central.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

staubio wrote: The renderings look great. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to a show here.

Sienna and QHP share a lobby and entrance onto 10th.  Yes, Sienna will be displaced (the QHP offices will be in that space - currently the offices are several blocks away).  I thought I heard Sienna is moving, but I can't find anything to confirm that.

I don't think QHP will ever grow to fit the Lyric.  Part of the charm there is the "intimate" surroundings (the entire theatre is about 2000 sq ft).  Being right there with the performers, no microphones, etc.  Since they do cabaret shows almost exclusively, I think they would be swallowed up in the Lyric.  The Lyric seats like 8x what QHP does, not to mention that huge proscenium.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps someday the QHP can mount two shows, the intimate cabaret, and a larger off Broadway-type show in the Lyric.  DST should look upon them as a potential tenant in the Lyric.  A use has to be found for that theater to save it from demolition.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

FangKC wrote: Perhaps someday the QHP can mount two shows, the intimate cabaret, and a larger off Broadway-type show in the Lyric.  DST should look upon them as a potential tenant in the Lyric.  A use has to be found for that theater to save it from demolition.
Agreed - there needs to be a use for the Lyric once the opera moves out.  For all its problems, we'll never get a space like that back if it gets torn down.  Maybe since Cordish seems intent on turning the Midland into a big-ass nightclub, the groups bemoaning the loss of permanent floor seating at the Midland could look to the Lyric as a possible new venue.
mildweed
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mildweed »

I'm excited for this.  We need more quality, small stages in that area.  Improv troupes are gunning for more places to play, particularly in that area.
Last edited by mildweed on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I hope some of those improv groups end up working out of the Lyric, and it doesn't get demolished.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Sienna has closed and the renovation and expansion appears to be underway.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

FangKC wrote: Sienna has closed and the renovation and expansion appears to be underway.

Yeah - I was down at the playhouse last night (If you are a musical theatre nerd, go see "Musical of Musicals."  Its kind of in the "Forbidden Broadway" vein but, IMHO, a lot more clever and funnier).  Work has been going for a while now.

They got hammered by the incredible rise in construction costs between the time they conceived the project and the time they got the lease on the rest of the space.  They've got some nice renderings and a floor plan of the new space up in the hallway that serves as a lobby for them right now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Quality Hill Playhouse Opens ‘The Q,’ Adds Full Bar and Quadruples Lobby
The Quality Hill Playhouse has expanded into long-dormant space at 10th and Central streets, dramatically expanding the size of its lobby and adding a full-service bar for patrons.

The Q now has a lobby and bar area that can accommodate more than 50 people, and an event space with room for up to 40. It’s open 90 minutes before and after productions, and can finally allow the Playhouse to serve theater patrons comfortably.

Previously, the theater could only serve beer and wine, and it now can offer a full selection of cocktails. The plan also calls for light food offerings, but the original plan for a full restaurant had to be dropped.

Truman said the Playhouse hopes to launch the food service early next year.

https://tinyurl.com/y8nuef94
Last edited by FangKC on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

what's with those chairs?