OFFICIAL - Embassy Suites (former Federal Reserve)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Old Federal Reserve (925 Grand)

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Now we just have to hope they actually follow through
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I wonder if that's the reason for the name change. A different LLC for each part.

Just start on construction and I'll forgive everything.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Embassy Suites Anticipates Mid-2020 Opening in Old Federal Reserve
The long-awaited redevelopment of the historic Federal Reserve Bank building into a 321-room Embassy Suites hotel is back on track and is expected to start interior remediation soon, according to its Colorado-based developer.

Interior demolition work should begin in about two months after asbestos, mold and other contaminants are removed, and if all goes according to plan, the $120 million hotel should be ready to begin accepting guests by June 2020.

The planned Embassy Suites will include 12,000 square feet of ballroom and meeting space, a third-party restaurant, a complimentary dining and cocktail area for hotel guests on the mezzanine level and a rooftop venue.

The old Federal Reserve building also has a 450-space garage that’s in good shape, the developer said. The top floor of the garage is expected to be used to accommodate data center equipment, but it will still leave 400 spaces available for parking.

https://cityscenekc.com/embassy-suites- ... l-reserve/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Any plan for the additional building still?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

WoodDraw wrote:Any plan for the additional building still?
From what I read, they intend to fold that additional building into the Embassy property.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

In the renderings the emblems on the parking garage are back. Not quite the full recladding I was hoping for, but it should help soften it. Maybe the garage was old enough that it became a historic element? I mean, if the flashcube can be considered historic, anything can.

Also, you can barely see that there's a glassy structure between the tower and the small building directly north of it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The lobby and exterior clearly say "Grand Hotel." Wonder what it would cost to build a new hotel and cover it in limestone? Even such costly and monumental buildings as the Whitaker Courthouse and the Kauffman Center PA use cast stone. The only building to use real stone lately is the new Fed Reserve where they literally make money(not currency).
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Has anyone been in the Embassy Suites on the Plaza recently? Wondering what kind of shape it is in - the last I heard it was in pretty bad shape, but that was years ago. Hilton seems to be eager to keep a presence in the area and wondering if they'll keep two Embassy Suites in such close proximity when the Fed location opens.
KCCat
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCCat »

kcjack, the Embassy Suites were very nice when I was there in January 2017.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I don't want to go too off topic, but I'd love to get inside the Hyatt and see what they have planned. They need to be downtown, yeah?

Maybe we should start a separate Hyatt thread.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:I don't want to go too off topic, but I'd love to get inside the Hyatt and see what they have planned. They need to be downtown, yeah?

They need a developer to step up. I agree we should start a speculation thread. Is The Hilton President the only Hilton in downtown?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

ldai_phs wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:I don't want to go too off topic, but I'd love to get inside the Hyatt and see what they have planned. They need to be downtown, yeah?

They need a developer to step up. I agree we should start a speculation thread. Is The Hilton President the only Hilton in downtown?
Hampton Inn and Home2 Suites are both Hilton flags, if that counts.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:

Hampton Inn and Home2 Suites are both Hilton flags, if that counts.
I was referring to an actual Hilton.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Yes, it is the only "Hilton" tier. However, Hilton brands includes Curio (Hotel Phillips), Embassy Suites (Fed Reserve), Hampton Inn, and many others. So they are fairly saturated in the downtown market unless they want a convention size hotel.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hiltons are trash.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Not sure what Hilton's you've stayed in recently, but as compared to Marriott or Sheraton, I'd stay in a Hilton property anytime.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hilton has a horrible problem with quality control in my experience..some are great...others are junk....Marriott seems to do the best with quality control of their flags. Sheraton not so much.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Maybe we should start a hotel thread. Living downtown, I rarely get to go to many of them outside of the odd event or wedding.

I'd actually be interested in knowing the reputation of them all.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, I'm clueless to the differences between them, and even among the sub-brands of the major flags.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I will agree that about 4-6 years ago there were some definite quality control issues, but in the past 3 years I've had nothing but clean and high quality stays with great service. My issue with Marriott isn't the main level brand, it is all the sub-brands that are extremely cheap and lacking.