Andrews McMeel Publishing to Boley Bldg.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Andrews McMeel Publishing to Boley Bldg.

Post by KCTigerFan »

All that has to happen is for the District to lose its accreditation.  Then the State will take it over and the Board will lose all of its actual power.  That is what just happened in the 'Lou. 
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Ok . . . lets go back to the topic. In the economic development world is not enough to just do a few things right . . . you have to do everything right.  If not, you pay.  Your city loses jobs or you have to provide incentives to make yourself competitive with other cities.  It's that simple. 
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by K.C.Highrise »

Yes, I agree. Just make the net gain of bringing in those jobs into a specific area, greater than the cost of the incentive. Than the city will benifit. KCMO needs to do this on a massive scale.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

GRID wrote: Well, StL was in worse shape than KC and now look:

Its the DT ballpark.  No, wait... it's... what? 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Its the DT ballpark.  No, wait... it's... what? 
This is nowhere near the ballpark.
doc
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by doc »

GRID wrote: This is nowhere near the ballpark.
It's been a while since I've been over there, but I thought this tower was going in only about six blocks from the ballpark.  Am I way off?
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

it is about 6 blocks north of the ballpark, but in the old post office area, going on the parking lot on the block directly north of the OPO. thats the convention center in the background to the north on washington.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?client=f ... 113048138d
Last edited by warwickland on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

warwickland wrote: it is about 6 blocks north of the ballpark, but in the old post office area, going on the parking lot on the block directly north of the OPO. thats the convention center in the background to the north on washington.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?client=f ... 113048138d
Thanks for a link to a great map, WWL.  Helps with an understanding of this bldg: A condominium is being built on a surface lot and a landmark demolished for the condominum's parking lot in 2009. 
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

FangKC wrote: If city and business leaders think the KCMO school district is such a drag on the city's fortunes, I wonder why the ones that live in KCMO don't run for the school board, and use their intelligence and leadership to make the needed changes?
Because they're smart enough to know that trying to help would be as futile as trying to piss up a rope.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from this week's biz journal:
Funkhouser, who said "there's a reasonable chance" he'll support incentives for AMU after a policy is enacted, said the city needs to be able to measure its return on those investments. He dismissed calls to do business as usual until the new rules are in place.
and this brief from today:

KC School District agrees to Andrews TIF request
In a release Friday, the district said that terms of the agreement include an estimated $700,000 to $1.2 million in increased property taxes and payments from Kansas City-based Andrews McMeel to the district during the 23 years of TIF the company is requesting from the city.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

"The first TIF request to pass my desk better damn well be from the East Side." 

Posturing.  Yuk!
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

DaveKCMO wrote: from this week's biz journal:

and this brief from today:

KC School District agrees to Andrews TIF request
This should guarantee passage of the TIF, even MARKY MARK and the FUNKY BUNCH couldnt block a project that is going to provide a boat load of trash to the School District.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

While I am still skeptical about this TIFs merits, I have to agree that it would politically retarded to oppose it now.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Czar
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Czar »

Czar wrote: This should guarantee passage of the TIF, even MARKY MARK and the FUNKY BUNCH couldnt block a project that is going to provide a boat load of trash to the School District.
meant "cash"
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

TIF commision gives nod to TIF proposal per bizjournals:

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... rround=lfn
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Andrews McMeel redevelopment plan is headed to City Hall

The TIF Commission recommendation arrives at City Hall at a time when a sweeping review of tax incentive policies is under way. Andrews McMeel officials say they need a decision by mid-October to achieve their goal of being in the Boley building by May. The company’s lease at the American Century Tower II expires in October 2008.

“We’re encouraged by this TIF recommendation, obviously,” said Les Hinmon, Andrews McMeel chief financial officer. “We’re anxious to see how this schedule plays out with the new policy and the council. It’s a schedule we need to stay on.”

Deb Hermann, chairman of the Council Finance Committee, said a mid-October goal should be realistic. Her panel will review the plan and make a recommendation to the full council. Hermann agrees with Mayor Mark Funkhouser that consideration of any fresh tax incentive requests should wait until after a new economic development policy is adopted. But she added that the task force appointed by the mayor to recommend reforms should have its work completed by early September
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

should we start taking bets on whether it gets approved this week? i think that it will.

Committee will consider Andrews McMeel TIF request
Kansas City's first tax increment financing request following the City Council's adoption Thursday of an economic development and incentives policy is scheduled to go before a council committee Wednesday.
Councilwoman Deb Hermann, who chairs the Finance and Audit Committee that will review the request, called it reasonable. Even with public assistance, Hermann said, AMU projects its investment will return just 4 percent, well below what comparable projects generate. Without TIF, Hermann said, the return would be virtually nothing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Committee endorses Andrews McMeel's TIF request
A Kansas City Council committee on Wednesday endorsed Andrews McMeel Universal's public financing request to move Downtown.

The Finance and Audit Committee's review of the newspaper content provider's tax increment financing application was the first to come under the city's new economic development and incentive policy. The policy had been urged by Mayor Mark Funkhouser, who wants to improve the city's accountability for how it uses public money.

The committee's recommendation will go the City Council on Thursday for final consideration.
The agreement contains a clawback provision, which would force AMU to give up redirected earnings taxes in years when its employment falls 10 percent or more below projections.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm glad to see some tenant finally go into the Boley Building.
There is no fifth destination.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I agree.  That building is in such a prominent position DT and the facade is so attractive and unique that it would truly be a shame to allow it to sit empty.  Especially because everything around it is beginning to bustle and come to life.