Remodeling Town Pavillion

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Remodeling Town Pavillion

Post by moderne »

I rather liked that deco-esque figure holding the jewel symblizing the diamond block of dt.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i suppose it might return... but i was also rather taken back to see it gone. not sure if it was mentioned here before, but 360 architects is doing the remodel.
simplyklb
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by simplyklb »

I used to work in Town Pavilion.  I worked there until Transamerica started moving its operations to Cedar Rapids.  I recently read in the business section of the paper that Transamerica was one of the biggest tenants.  I was like "Everyone from Transamerica has pretty much left."  The only people left are those that are shipping stuff out.

When I first started working there in '99, Town Pavilion started remodeling the food court.  After that, tenants in the food court started leaving.  I liked eating at Flamers and the pizza place (not the Pizza Hut/KFC Express).  By the time I left at the end of June, all the retail was on the first floor and the third floor was being remodeled.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooters coffeehouse "coming soon", right next to planet sub on the first level.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote: scooters coffeehouse "coming soon", right next to planet sub on the first level.
What?!  Another one?  More info!
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Not another one! That place is way below par!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: What?!  Another one?  More info!
you don't have to sneak in to see the banner for yourself! :)
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I can wear bright colors and go during the daytime?!

Weird, that's close proximity to the other.  But on that note, I've never quite understood the two latte lands on the Plaza either.  I wish we had a good coffee shop in CC.  Panera, eh.  Einstein Bros, eh, the "Starbucks" inside my corporate is the worst.  They presteam whole gallons of milk in order to keep up with demand and by the time they pour yours, it's cold every time.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Weird, that's close proximity to the other.  But on that note, I've never quite understood the two latte lands on the Plaza either.
i can explain it, at least from my perspective... i go to the scooter's downtown because it's right next to my office, even though i don't think their coffee is all that great. i would never get coffee at the TP location because it's not directly on my way to the office.

i think the two starbucks downtown and the two lattelands on the plaza are far enough apart and have obviously maintained a following despite the close proximity.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

I miss the days of working in downtown Chicago and having four starbucks within a two block radius..let alone all the other coffee shops.  Gotta say I'm looking forward to moving downtown and being able to walk to get coffee!
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Mhudson wrote: I miss the days of working in downtown Chicago and having four starbucks within a two block radius..let alone all the other coffee shops.  Gotta say I'm looking forward to moving downtown and being able to walk to get coffee!
In Houston there is a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

KansasCityCraka wrote: In Houston there is a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks.
Doesn't surprise me.  The amount of starbucks won't surprise me until I see a Starbucks inside a Starbucks.
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Mhudson wrote: I miss the days of working in downtown Chicago and having four starbucks within a two block radius..let alone all the other coffee shops.  Gotta say I'm looking forward to moving downtown and being able to walk to get coffee!
That's what I liked about Chicago. In Lincoln Park, where I stayed, I didn't have to search for a Starbucks. They were everywhere, but they were on different walking, driving, and bus routes, so they actually made sense.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Yeah, I lived in Lincoln Park, and whichever train station I walked to, there'd always be atleast one on the walk.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

"Starbucks is what I like about Chicago"
                                            - America
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

chingon wrote: "Starbucks is what I like about Chicago"
                                             - America
Not so much the starbucks as the McDonalds!  :D
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

Mhudson wrote: The amount of starbucks won't surprise me until I see a Starbucks inside a Starbucks.
:lol: :lol:
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
Sussudio

Post by Sussudio »

Amen!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Mhudson wrote: Doesn't surprise me.  The amount of starbucks won't surprise me until I see a Starbucks inside a Starbucks.
There was a great Onion article about that a while ago.  I'll try to look for the link..

[edit]

Found it: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29030
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"Town News" is "coming soon", according to a sign inside the lobby. i assume it will be next to fedex/kinko's.