Remodeling Town Pavillion

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
sokkerdewd
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Remodeling Town Pavillion

Post by sokkerdewd »

From the proprietor of the Pizza Hut in the Food Court @ Town Pavilion:  The food court will be closing as of December 31 w/restaurants relocating to spaces on the first floor of the building or to City Center's Food Court.  The existing food court will be converted to more office space...not sure for whom though.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Remodeling Town Pavillion

Post by lock+load »

sokkerdewd wrote: From the proprietor of the Pizza Hut in the Food Court @ Town Pavilion:  The food court will be closing as of December 31 w/restaurants relocating to spaces on the first floor of the building or to City Center's Food Court.  The existing food court will be converted to more office space...not sure for whom though.
The final death of the Town Pavilion shopping mall.  I'd love to see some pictures of the are when it first opened.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

This is probably for the conversion of the bottom 3 floors for the bank that's relocating from City Center Square.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

is planet sub affected?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Will these inside on the first floor or  accessible from the sidewalk?
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Damn, hopefully there is much more retail space in the Town Pavilion, and if there isn't, this is a bad move.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ShowMeKC wrote: Damn, hopefully there is much more retail space in the Town Pavilion, and if there isn't, this is a bad move.
Personally I would rather see them sell out all of the streetfront spaces than worry about preserving a big empty indoor mall space that may or may not ever come back.  I am sick of seeing empty streetfront retail.  Lets start filling it up!
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

I hope that tearing out the downtown skywalks is KC's next "bad move".
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

49r wrote: I hope that tearing out the downtown skywalks is KC's next "bad move".
I wouldn't hold my breath - the fact that town center has preservered their skywalk to nowhere for the last year in anticipation that it will ultimately link back up to whatever replaces the Jones Store surely isn't a good sign. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I wouldn't hold my breath - the fact that town center has preservered their skywalk to nowhere for the last year in anticipation that it will ultimately link back up to whatever replaces the Jones Store surely isn't a good sign. 
i guess if they don't tear it down then it becomes grandfathered? that monstrosity over main street at petticoat lane is also something i've personally considered taking a sledgehammer to.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The vista up and down Petticoat Lane was a grand urban one until that hulking monstrosity began hovering over the intersection 20 years ago.  The department store-Macy's-Dillards is long gone and so the raison d'etre for the sky darkening bridge.  The link to a parking garage does not justify it. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Panda is already closed...heard they weren't coming back but that was just through the grapevine....this building has a ton of space to put twice as many tenants on the exterior facing first floor....that food court eating space is a good place to check out construction but a complete waste of space overall.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

When the (AT&T) Town Pavilion opened it was a very busy place.  More than 8 food places (hamburgers, sandwich, cookies, chicken, Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Greek, and more) in the food court and seating on two levels.  And there were two other full service restaurants on the first floor.  Would go there every two weeks for lunch (on payday after going to the bank on my one hour lunch time).  The other days I was a brown bagger.  Always tried to get a window table on the upper floor.  Many times that was hard because that place was packed.
Got a few Xmas presents for my wife at the jewelry store on the second floor.  Other stores were busy but like other retail dt they closed anywhere between 4:00 to 6:00 in the afternoon and were mostly closed on the weekends.
Many felt what doomed that food court was its location.  The third floor might have benefited the retailers but after AT&T moved out it started dying since the CC Square food court was more accessible.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Panda is already closed...heard they weren't coming back but that was just through the grapevine....this building has a ton of space to put twice as many tenants on the exterior facing first floor....that food court eating space is a good place to check out construction but a complete waste of space overall.

Panda isn't coming back?  That makes no sense at all.  It's one of the most popular fast-food lunch spots downtown.  The line is often 20 people or more deep during the noon hour.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I just spoke to one of the proprieters of the Pizza Hut/KFC that was affected by the remodeling.  The new location (between Fred P Ott's and Curves) will open next week.  It's larger than the old shop and has its own seating area.  It also has a more expanded menu.

Unfortunately due to its location in the building it doesn't have a street-side entrance. :(
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote: I just spoke to one of the proprieters of the Pizza Hut/KFC that was affected by the remodeling.   The new location (between Fred P Ott's and Curves) will open next week.   It's larger than the old shop and has its own seating area.   It also has a more expanded menu.

Unfortunately due to its location in the building it doesn't have a street-side entrance. :(
you'd think they'd use this opportunity to give the entire building more street appeal...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: you'd think they'd use this opportunity to give the entire building more street appeal...
The owners turned down the concept of adding street entry in this space as it "was not historically accurate".
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

H&R Block to lease space in Town Pavilion for seasonal employees
H&R Block is leasing two floors in the Town Pavilion office tower to accommodate up to 400 seasonal employees in its expanding customer care operation.

The three-year lease is for 45,000 square feet on the ninth and tenth floors, said Nick Iammartino, H&R Block director of corporate communications. The seasonal employees generally work from about November to April, and the new space is needed to handle growth in the operation. Last year there were 175 seasonal employees.
Parking will be provided in the new garage beneath the Kansas City Live block at 13th and Walnut streets, part of the Power & Light District. H&R Block has an agreement with the city to use part of the public garage for employee parking.

The 38-story Town Pavilion building at 1100 Walnut St. will be 75 percent occupied with the H&R Block lease, said Ryan Biery who handles leasing for Copaken White & Blitt.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

main street signage has been removed...

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: main street signage has been removed...
:(
KC is the way to be!