Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by butter_breath »

In Columbus Park there is a wine bar, Soredux built a small wine bar they have full liquor and maybe 20 types of beer. The bar area seats about 10 people. I know they dropped their menu pricing to $25 a person for three courses, and now allow walkins except for Sat. night then it's reservation only I think it's a ten course menu then. The owners live a half block from the restaurant next door to me. It's a true hidden gem. Beware if you go there because everyone in the area never cleans up after their dogs! And the hookers still make their way down from the ave. one night there was one flashing the restaurant.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Hey Butter, thanks for the reminder of So redeux.  Didn't realize they had adjusted prices either.  That, coupled with the local flavor, is going to get me back to visit.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

butter_breath wrote: one night there was one flashing the restaurant.
Was that included for that low price?  :lol:
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

butter_breath wrote: In Columbus Park there is a wine bar, Soredux built a small wine bar they have full liquor and maybe 20 types of beer. The bar area seats about 10 people. I know they dropped their menu pricing to $25 a person for three courses, and now allow walkins except for Sat. night then it's reservation only I think it's a ten course menu then. The owners live a half block from the restaurant next door to me. It's a true hidden gem. Beware if you go there because everyone in the area never cleans up after their dogs! And the hookers still make their way down from the ave. one night there was one flashing the restaurant.
SoRedux is a nice place and it adds to the area, but lets not even pretend that it fills this void we are talking about.  If SoRedux is the undiscovered lounge that the RM already has (and now the RM no longer needs something like this) then Le Fou Frog is the equivalent of O'Dowds on the plaza....we both know these are false.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

if someone opens a swanky lounge in the RM and it is successful, then great, but i don't think there has to be such a place in every possible corner of the city.  in fact, i think KC has more than enough "upscale" places to drink.  whether you like those particular places is another story (i certainly don't like many of them), but i don't think the RM is deficient because it doesn't have such a place. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

That's funny, for me Harry's CC (my favorite bar) is about as upscale and swanky as I can stand, I haven't liked any "trendy" bar I've ever been to.

Your friend is upset because tables are made of wood?  Sounds pretty pretentious to me, no offense.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

scooterj wrote: That's funny, for me Harry's CC (my favorite bar) is about as upscale and swanky as I can stand, I haven't liked any "trendy" bar I've ever been to.

Your friend is upset because tables are made of wood?   Sounds pretty pretentious to me, no offense.
I said think of it as you wish, implying it isn't a very serious issue what so ever.  More a quirky way of showing IMO the lack of diversity in the River Market.  And trendy isn't synonymous with pretentious.  San Francisco, Chicago, Portland, New York are all very trendy cities and I would not put them in the disingenuous/pretentious category.
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

all of those cities have large amounts of pretentious nightlife options.

i think it would be cool if the RM had a trendy nightlife option, but the fact that it doesn't right now isn't really a problem for me.  there are at least a dozen places that fit that bill in KCMO right now - all of them on the MAX line.  if anything, i think that the RM is more of a "neighborhood bar" sort of place than a "trendy" place. 
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

I was simply saying that if you were looking for a wine lounge to hang out and drink some nice vino off the beaten path then soredux fits the bill. No, it's not a bonafide "wine bar" and it doesn't draw the crowds in, but it has more neighborhood feel than most places in the area. It is what it is, a nice place to sip vino it's not a bar but they have a laid back one. I love the bar at Le Fou Frog, I love going to Harry's also. Will the market ever have a JP's or Lava lounge I doubt that, simply because of the lack of foot traffic after dark. The Cup and Saucer before the expansion fit that bill and with the rent in the market area it's going to be a hard push there's more money to be made in bottled and draft beer than wine that's why the Caddy Shac doesn't carry vino or Harry's switched to half bottles verus full bottles. Wine drinkers sip beer drinkers gulp.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

chrizow wrote: all of those cities have large amounts of pretentious nightlife options.

i think it would be cool if the RM had a trendy nightlife option, but the fact that it doesn't right now isn't really a problem for me.  there are at least a dozen places that fit that bill in KCMO right now - all of them on the MAX line.  if anything, i think that the RM is more of a "neighborhood bar" sort of place than a "trendy" place. 
I think we are talking over each other.  I'm totally down with the neighborhood bar thing, rather than the XO's or O'dowds import and tourist bar.  But why can't a more swanky place be that neighborhood place?  The Cup and Saucer absolutely filled this role.  It was a very down to earth place with a much more creative and eclectic crowd. 
My argument is more that the bars in the Rivermarket seem to cater more to the DT worker who does happy hour and lives in Overland Park than the graphic designer, architect, lawyer living in a loft or condo in the RM
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

the rivmar needs a good 'dave's stagecoach'

but i understand there can only be one.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i agree that a swanky place COULD be that neighborhood place...but right now it isn't...luckily for those seeking such a place, there are comfortable yet upscale bars and lounges downtown, in the crossroads, martini corner, westport, w.39th, midtown, the plaza, etc.  

i guess i just don't see there being a real "hole" to fill in the RM.  besides, doesn't Vivace sort of fill the niche you are talking about?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

warwickland wrote: the rivmar needs a good 'dave's stagecoach'

but i understand there can only be one.
Are there any real dives in the RM?  The Stables is the nearest I can think of.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Well if you follow the recent trends the RM would be a good fit for a Rusty's Last Chance just with out all the people when you put it up against Minsky's, Windslows, The Brewery and Dos Hombres.

Oh well, not trying to come across as negative at all, just more stifled by the lack of diversity in the nightlife.  And this isn't coming just from me... I have talked with many people who have noticed this.  I have a friend moved into the crossroads just because of this alarming lack (despite the population core existing) and right away noticed that the area was moving forward tons more rapidly.  You also witness the nightlife drain from how many people that live in the RM go to other places to throw down.  Like Stabio, myself and others have noticed...you don't see very many locals in the area bars.  Almost like it appeals more to those stopping by off the highway for a drink before they drink and drive back home to the northland.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Kard wrote: Are there any real dives in the RM?  The Stables is the nearest I can think of.
this is the niche.

i can't think of any, other than the red front (not quite in the rivmar but very close).
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

This thread has become both ponderous and tedious. Talking back and forth about the lack of some supposedly upscale establishment that would just make the River Market fulfill the ideal of the vaunted urban neighborhood panacea.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Does anybody know the status of the building just west of HOK, the one advertising "bar, restaurant and grille".  That is very neat space with huge potential for mixed use.  Also is the Peanut's brother The Acorn Bar (I believe that is the name) a dead deal?  They discussed the ground level southeast corner of the HOK building.  I'm excited for something to open up on that end to spread the district out a little.  If you are going for a "non-shady" walk you are somewhat limited to the 3-4 block circle from Wyandotte to Walnut, up to where Harrys is, down to 3rd and grand and back up 3rd street to Scotts fitness.  

Does anybody know what is going on in the building (old stag house I believe) on the northwest corner of 3rd and Wyandotte?  I think it is currently a stain glass window distributor but I have NEVER seen signs of activity there in years.

And one more, what about the brewery on Independence avenue and oak?  The one that fronts onto the I70 on ramp from the Heart of America bridge.  That is a very neat building.  Somebody could put a club or a brewery in their and never have to worry about noise getting to people.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Kard wrote: Are there any real dives in the RM?  The Stables is the nearest I can think of.
Caddyshack.  Technically Columbus Park but just barely outside the RM.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

scooterj wrote: Caddyshack.   Technically Columbus Park but just barely outside the RM.

...hrm? what street is this on!
ralfonso
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ralfonso »

warwickland wrote:
...hrm? what street is this on!
700 E. 3rd.

The wintertime is the BEST for the c-shack.  It's about 80 degrees in there and they have free popcorn with a ridiculous amount of fake butter.  They do tend to "burn" the mixed drinks, so beware if that's not your thing :)