Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by flyingember »

For the garage pay for parking with validation in the stores in the river market would be a good model. If you hop on the train and leave the neighborhood, tough.

Parking can be "free" as long as the neighborhood as a whole benefits. Even a 1% increase in sales is nothing to scoff at when that's the profit margin at some places.

Increasing sales is a key metric to drive more retail of course and jobs should follow. One new job at $20k is $2k in money spent downtown, easily.
That's equal to 400 cars at $5 each.

Do that enough times with enough jobs and validating could pay for itself over time, or enough to not be a huge loss.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

They'll probably figure it out at some point during the decade after which self-driving cars and third-generation hipsters have finally combined to turn downtown parking lanes into impromptu shuffle-board courts by day and nostaligic showcases for pimped out, unlicensed manual-drive minivans by night.
:lol: :lol: =D>
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

pash wrote:The River Market would be a great place to start putting an end to the expectation of free parking. Put in parking meters for all on-street spots, and start charging to park in the city- and ATA-owned lots. Use the proceeds to fund a garage.

There will never be enough parking spots so long as they're given away for free.
I figure the Plaza would have been the perfect place to start, the plaza has kind of ruined paid parking in this town. Even though its "a mall" most malls in urban settings still have you pay to park
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

pash wrote:It's difficult for prices to rise, and for the market otherwise to function sanely, when far and away the market's biggest supplier—the city—has zero profit motive and otherwise makes decisions as intelligently as a retarded kindergartner with a heroin habit up two hours past his bedtime.
As River Market parking has now become An Official Problem, the city is having a community forum about it on September 20th.

I'd love to see you (or anyone, for that matter) comment on the issue using (more or less) the verbiage quoted. :)
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

pash wrote:I will be out of town, but if anyone wants to borrow my dim-witted, sleep-deprived, drug-addled child of metaphor, please feel free.
It would be my honor.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Developer makes an Epoch purchase on Delaware along streetcar line
Epoch Developments LLC, a Denver-based firm that's become a preservation and placemaking leader in the downtown Kansas City area over the past couple of years, has closed on six more historic brick buildings on Delaware Street in the River Market.
http://tinyurl.com/hhuo38c
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The best part of this sale is Craig's focus on activating the ground floor of all of these buildings.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Sent that to a friend who lives in one of those neighboring stacks of white buildings... didn't seem too enthused.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I can only imagine the shit storm that would happen if someone proposed a competing farmers market.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It would serve the current one right. I love it, but they have completely missed a huge opportunity in making almost no substantial improvements and not having a year-round indoor market.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Can't argue with that, but the market is like the airport, loved by everyone who goes there once a year.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

A year-round indoor market a la Reading Terminal would be amazing. Also, I may not be madly in love with the "River Market Complex" renderings, but I don't really see how anyone would prefer the surface parking.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

mean wrote:A year-round indoor market a la Reading Terminal would be amazing. Also, I may not be madly in love with the "River Market Complex" renderings, but I don't really see how anyone would prefer the surface parking.
You'd be surprised. I've heard people complaining that the River Market is losing its "charm" and "character" with all this new development. I looked at them and asked if the surface parking lots were the charm and character they were referring to and they just stared at me blankly, completely missing the sarcasm.

In reality, the RM is more alive than it ever has been in my lifetime and is quickly becoming, if not already, the number one destination downtown and one of the best urban environments we have.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

mister816 wrote:this definitely has my attention.

http://baarchitecture.com/Client_Presen ... index.html
I'm curious, how did you come across that? it's an unlisted video on youtube and not accessible via the firm's website, from what I can tell.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:
mean wrote:I've heard people complaining that the River Market is losing its "charm" and "character" with all this new development.
ignore them. almost everything that's been added is new construction, and will thus never please people who insist on "charm" and "character". they're probably not even residents of the neighborhood (many of whom live in new construction).

agreed on the indoor market option. it leawood can have one...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mister816 wrote:this definitely has my attention.

http://baarchitecture.com/Client_Presen ... index.html
I like it....River Market could use a hotel....but I'd hate to be that one pair of existing condos on Wyandotte.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:...but I'd hate to be that one pair of existing condos on Wyandotte.

they could be bought out.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote:
kboish wrote:
mean wrote:I've heard people complaining that the River Market is losing its "charm" and "character" with all this new development.
ignore them. almost everything that's been added is new construction, and will thus never please people who insist on "charm" and "character". they're probably not even residents of the neighborhood (many of whom live in new construction).
They are always Northlanders worried about where they will park...