Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by hartliss »

flyingember wrote:They own only the lot right on the corner, at least right now. It's a little under 6500 square feet.

And it's inside the 2012 special streetcar zoning. So no commercial parking minimums.

Looks like they're leasing the top three floors at 5k usable space each.
So what's the bottom floor going to be?
I assume you are talking about Chris Sally's group? That is where the tax records point to anyways...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

taxi wrote:
flyingember wrote: So what's the bottom floor going to be?
I heard RD4L.
That's Zonkers!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Looks like they're leasing the top three floors at 5k usable space each.
So what's the bottom floor going to be?
Parking.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

River|City Market assessment and random thoughts....

Was in City Market this morning, usually hit it 2-3 weekends/month to shop. Am liking the direction they've been heading the last few years. First they got rid of the cheap trinket stands, allowing small antique/flea market things but recently it seems more focused on local stuff and now higher and higher quality local made things, whether objects/clothing/jewelry or foods/condiments like jams, specialty vinegars, salsas etc in additional to home grown/small farmer produce. Getting better every year, with fewer crap stands.

Some complain the produce to outer rings of market isn't local or small farmed, it's discounted commercial grade grocery produce. I think that's fine and has its place but they maybe need to find a clear way to note that - like signs that note 'discounted commercial produce' or something like that.

I kinda like the gritty edge to the market and wouldn't like to see it go too cutesy refined like some overly manicured and overpriced markets I've seen around country but they need to get rid of the car lot aspect to it while still allowing vendors to drive up to their slots. Instead of allowing weekday parking, the lot next to W of Minsky needs to be developed with a garage large enough to handle the parking it replaces in addition to parking in the square as well as for residential that should go on top.

That reminds me, do the NE 3rd/Grand lot development plans include public garage parking with same or more spots than lot it displaces? I realize at some point we need to think less parking downtown but we are at least a decade away until metro wide transit is improved with commuter rail etc. In the meantime, we need to get rid of surface lots but still have garage space with enough public spaces that are displacing the lots. For example if 3 surface parking lots nearby are developed, in one of the lots have enough garage spaces for the 3 lots lots in addition for the development on top of the garage - depending on the nature of the projects of course. I do support city funded/TIF garages if it means developing surface lots, but should include free or cheap public parking.

Overall River Market area is the IT place to live in KC IMO, especially for foodies who like to cook with all the Asian/world markets nearby in addition to access to local grown produce. Delaware street needs to transition into more of a pedestrian retail stretch. There's a handful but the lobbies of remaining buildings could partly become small retail spots and generate a nice pedestrian scale street vibe along the stretch, especially given a streetcar stop there. They are improving the landscaping by the streetcar stop but it really should become a pocket park with more benches.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I'd like to see some reconfiguration of the center but too much of an overhaul would mean higher rents, which would mean higher prices and/or vendors not showing up. I've been to some markets in other cities that are too cutesy manicured and the prices of goods are obnoxiously high. Keep City Market gritty real but get rid of the parking lot aspect.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:
earthling wrote:That reminds me, do the NE 3rd/Grand lot development plans include public garage parking with same or more spots than lot it displaces?
Yes, the ATA's RFP required that the same number of public parking spaces that are available now remain available in the new development. The city required the same in its RFP for its lot at Fifth & Main. ... That's probably one of the major reasons nothing has happened on these lots.

I still think the City Market needs a major, down-to-the-screws rehab. It's a complete mess of little-used and off-putting loading docks, of parking spaces smack in the middle of everything, of uneven raw concrete walkways, of no bathrooms, of something intended as a wholesale distribution facility that isn't, and of all around piss-poor mid-twentieth-century inutility, ugliness, and decrepitude. I really don't understand why so many people think it's such a great place. It has some good points, but it could be so, so much better.

And, yes, you could easily keep the historical structure while re-imagining it as something so, so much better.
Ain't you just a ray of fucking sunshine?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC streetcar, apartment boom create headache for City Market
The City Market is facing a parking crunch and noted a significant increase in parking issues when the streetcar launched. It's a two-fold problem. More residents are now living in the River Market area, and a number of nearby apartments only offer one parking space per unit. That leaves residents with street parking and nearby parking lots for their second vehicle. Residents also are using the streetcar to head to work, which means they're no longer parking Downtown during business hours.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... e-for.html

The lot to W of Minsky's need to be developed into a _very_ large public garage with residential on top and retail facing sidewalk. TIF financed garages are acceptable if it also provides free/cheap public parking. The garage would need to be big enough to offset spots is displaces, the residential on top and many extra to address the general RM parking constraints, with maybe one level that allows any resident in RM area to lease a spot on monthly basis.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^

Since Kansas City works like a 10 year old playing Sim City, they will just start tearing down whatever they can to create surface lots with free parking 7 days a week until the parking complaints stop.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

why don't they just downsize to one vehicle? I mean, they're using public transportation for their commute now anyways. Why should the city have to adapt to their entitlement?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:why don't they just downsize to one vehicle? I mean, they're using public transportation for their commute now anyways. Why should the city have to adapt to their entitlement?
You assume they're using public transportation for their commute.

Why should someone only be able to live downtown if they work downtown?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I have no idea what this article is talking about.

I ride the bus downtown probably about 2-3 days out of the week and drive the other 2-3 days. When I drive, I always park in the "park and ride" in the city market. I have NEVER seen the park and ride full during the work week.

None the less, the city owned parking lot at 5th and Main should certainly include public parking once it is developed. But portraying the existing work day demand as overwhelming the market? Come on...its simply not true.

The weekend on the other hand absolutely overwhelms the market, but that is totally different than what the article is discussing...in any case the city opened up FREE parking just south of the market where people can then take a FREE streetcar to their destination (of course you could always just walk a few blocks). Relax parking nuts.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't get it either,never had a problem finding a spot in this entire city like never ever. On the weekends If you park between 6th and 7th street you can find tons of street parking and less idiots trying to find parking.

Wonder how many people come down to the City market on a saturday then just flat out leave and get frustrated because they cannot find a spot right next to the city market.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

People will park way out east toward Columbus Park and west to under the Broadway Bridge, but the other side of the trench? NOPE!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grovester wrote:People will park way out east toward Columbus Park and west to under the Broadway Bridge, but the other side of the trench? NOPE!
It's already happening. People are crossing I-70 on foot to get to the city market and I saw this months before the train started operating.

With a well used parking lot gone for construction (5th/Indep) it's going to accelerate this more.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the city-owned lots for the market will no longer be free (at least when demand merits a charge). that line in the sand has been drawn, so it's just a matter of getting everyone else to that point (hence the "study"). when those 7th and main lots were first made public, they were charging for those but giving away the highest value spots for free. eventually, logic prevailed and 7th and main became free while the city figured out a timeline for flipping the equation.

the ATA has also alluded to charging for parking once the new 3rd and grand structure is completed.

when demand outstrips supply -- and the public parking supply is essentially fixed -- the price should rise. every parking study will recommend that, assuming the city isn't ready to go on a garage-building spree (they're not).
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

C'mon, I'm gonna say the conditions you are describing have been going for 5 years at most. Not an unexpected pace for KC, wish it were faster but not a deal killer.