Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by smh »

kboish wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:07 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:41 am Hey I get noticed on certain posts...happy to answer questions.
We pulled the townhomes sign (ugly) b/c of lingering uncertainty with the master plan. 50/50 says it might be back. Certainly have demand.
the corner lot sign was Chris Sally - office bldg - and too small of parcel really for that. Unclear what it might become.
And hear the Pacific, Askew, Volker might be close to under contract by someone....
I see there is an ordinance for the council to remove the restrictions on the number of alcohol sales by glass establishments (taverns) in the River Market area. Any chance you are bringing on some new bars for the area?
There are some local guys who'd like to open a spot in RM but they can't because of the density requirements. Crazily enough, though there are no density limits in the loop, Reg Industries (OF COURSE) counts those licenses against RM because they're within the radius. So it sort of fucks RM, so to speak.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:41 am Hey I get noticed on certain posts...happy to answer questions.
We pulled the townhomes sign (ugly) b/c of lingering uncertainty with the master plan. 50/50 says it might be back. Certainly have demand.
the corner lot sign was Chris Sally - office bldg - and too small of parcel really for that. Unclear what it might become.
And hear the Pacific, Askew, Volker might be close to under contract by someone....
I see there is an ordinance for the council to remove the restrictions on the number of alcohol sales by glass establishments (taverns) in the River Market area. Any chance you are bringing on some new bars for the area?
There are some local guys who'd like to open a spot in RM but they can't because of the density requirements. Crazily enough, though there are no density limits in the loop, Reg Industries (OF COURSE) counts those licenses against RM because they're within the radius. So it sort of fucks RM, so to speak.
Yeah, that doens't make a lot of sense. RM seems like an area that shouldn't be constrained by density requirements anyway. Glad this will likely change
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

Yes, I'll scope those out. have really already designed these next 7 units along Wyandotte so we have a motivation to bring in that diversity. May know within 2-3 months. Just didnt want to drag anyone out any longer on anticipation. Messy infill due to parking requirements - of course. We are opposed to a garage - of course.

As to the liquor thing...yes, that is us. stay tuned.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The parking requirements are in the way of the master plan I assume since the rowhouses have their own parking. Did we not get rid of parking minimums in RM?

Any help the public can bring (calls, emails, etc) to whomever....let us know.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

smh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm ...because of the density requirements. Crazily enough, though there are no density limits in the loop, Reg Industries (OF COURSE) counts those licenses against RM because they're within the radius. So it sort of fucks RM, so to speak.
They do count those, but they are expressly exempt from both in the loop and counting for anything outside of it. It says so in the ordinance. The problem is, they won't listen to reason and very few of them have ever read the actual ordinance. I went through this and the incompetence and stupidity is astounding. Ultimately, I had to hire a consultant (AKA someone who used to work there) to tell them the exact same thing that I did.

If anyone on here needs advice regarding this issue, feel free to message me.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is strange seeing that the River Market used to be almost completely an entertainment district with numerous bars and strip clubs. Did this ordinance happen after River Quay?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

ToDactivist wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 pm Yes, I'll scope those out. have really already designed these next 7 units along Wyandotte so we have a motivation to bring in that diversity. May know within 2-3 months. Just didnt want to drag anyone out any longer on anticipation. Messy infill due to parking requirements - of course. We are opposed to a garage - of course.

Are the townhouses considered condos when it comes to mortgage lending, or are they considered single family housing?

Is that distinction also made on whether there are common homeowner association fees where taxes, insurance, trash, maintenance are all collected?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

taxi wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:38 pm
smh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:26 pm ...because of the density requirements. Crazily enough, though there are no density limits in the loop, Reg Industries (OF COURSE) counts those licenses against RM because they're within the radius. So it sort of fucks RM, so to speak.
They do count those, but they are expressly exempt from both in the loop and counting for anything outside of it. It says so in the ordinance. The problem is, they won't listen to reason and very few of them have ever read the actual ordinance. I went through this and the incompetence and stupidity is astounding. Ultimately, I had to hire a consultant (AKA someone who used to work there) to tell them the exact same thing that I did.

If anyone on here needs advice regarding this issue, feel free to message me.
Our client had to petition Jolie to intervene.
Correct, the count included a couple private clubs in Downtown...how is that legit?
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:30 pm The parking requirements are in the way of the master plan I assume since the rowhouses have their own parking. Did we not get rid of parking minimums in RM?

Kudos and very apprecriated. Oddly it is not the public nor city ordinance (none), it is the banks and appraisers....OMG, no parking!!! The sky is falling.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:10 pm
ToDactivist wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:26 pm Yes, I'll scope those out. have really already designed these next 7 units along Wyandotte so we have a motivation to bring in that diversity. May know within 2-3 months. Just didnt want to drag anyone out any longer on anticipation. Messy infill due to parking requirements - of course. We are opposed to a garage - of course.

Are the townhouses considered condos when it comes to mortgage lending, or are they considered single family housing?

Is that distinction also made on whether there are common homeowner association fees where taxes, insurance, trash, maintenance are all collected?
Townhomes are uniquely different from Condos, no HOA, common, etc. Just party-wall agreements. Easy. HOWEVER, I do believe KC "vibrant" core is ready for more "for sale" residences aka condos. Plenty of demand, plenty of nervousness from banks, contractors, architects, everyone but optimists.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Banks aren't stopping the condos are they? They have parking.

Like you said seems like townhomes would be super easy and lots of small lots would be perfect for them
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Most of the townhouses in Kansas City seem to have homeowner association fees, and common exterior maintenance. Can anyone provide examples of exceptions?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The HOA I know of in townhomes are very minimal...like just to help upkeep the common landscaping etc.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

ToDactivist wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:30 pm The parking requirements are in the way of the master plan I assume since the rowhouses have their own parking. Did we not get rid of parking minimums in RM?

Kudos and very apprecriated. Oddly it is not the public nor city ordinance (none), it is the banks and appraisers....OMG, no parking!!! The sky is falling.
Get the city to provide security to you in your loan. Its time for incentives to roll the other way on parking.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:09 pm The HOA I know of in townhomes are very minimal...like just to help upkeep the common landscaping etc.
What about the townhouses on Quality Hill. Don't homeowners have to pay into a maintenance fund to keep up the exteriors, roof, parking garage?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:09 pm The HOA I know of in townhomes are very minimal...like just to help upkeep the common landscaping etc.
What about the townhouses on Quality Hill. Don't homeowners have to pay into a maintenance fund to keep up the exteriors, roof, parking garage?
yes but those are built on top of each other nut just straight verticals...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

the 27th and Mcgee townhomes will have small HOA fees to cover exterior maintenance and landscaping, etc.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:51 am the 27th and Mcgee townhomes will have small HOA fees to cover exterior maintenance and landscaping, etc.
Looking at condo vs townhome bylaws must be quite different given the cost difference.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Can anyone think of a place where this painted sign could be placed? I'd like to figure out a method to lobby for its' recreation somewhere downtown where it wouldn't end up being obstructed by a future building.

Why was the River Market once referred to as River Quay? We answer your KCQ.

https://tinyurl.com/y9txfduy

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Are the buildings in the picture some of the ones torn down for P&L?