Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by town cow »

Agree with Dave:

Whatever. I bet their sales double within a year.

"Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded."

Freestyle was packed all weekend.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm waiting for the day when a restaurant is quoted as to why they are relocating and the reason is "For more surface parking for our customers"
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

geeman68 wrote:
That's an awful move for KCSoda, less space so have to provide less product mix. Less exposure since you have to enter the City Market corridor (interior) to see it rather than the street location it is located. I love the counter idea, they could have vanilla ice cream and make all sorts of floats for counter service but that can't happen in that location. #sad
Have you been to the city market? On a Saturday the interior corridor is PACKED while there's very few people on the street.

It's an excellent move for them.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:
geeman68 wrote:
That's an awful move for KCSoda, less space so have to provide less product mix. Less exposure since you have to enter the City Market corridor (interior) to see it rather than the street location it is located. I love the counter idea, they could have vanilla ice cream and make all sorts of floats for counter service but that can't happen in that location. #sad
Have you been to the city market? On a Saturday the interior corridor is PACKED while there's very few people on the street.

It's an excellent move for them.
You forgot /s
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote:People are already mad about this move saying they will no longer go to Pigwich/Local Pig because of the parking. Freestyle Poke is also having parking issues. I guess people are parking in the lot intended for the building but its only for restaurant patrons till 4pm, after 4 its for residents only so I think some people eating have been getting towed.
Bring these people to us to discuss.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

smh wrote:
tower wrote:What happened to the city plan to build a giant garage with street level retail between the market and Delaware?

I believe it died. Hopefully--but what is dead can never truly die. Something like that anyway.
Seems you're right.
Right now, according to the city, there are no plans to add public garages in River Market
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/pa ... ts-working
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

tower wrote:
smh wrote:
tower wrote:What happened to the city plan to build a giant garage with street level retail between the market and Delaware?

I believe it died. Hopefully--but what is dead can never truly die. Something like that anyway.
Seems you're right.
Right now, according to the city, there are no plans to add public garages in River Market
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/pa ... ts-working
But remember, what is dead may never die. We must remain vigilant.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Local Pig Relocating to City Market, Taking Former Winslow BBQ Space
The Local Pig & Pigwich is leaving the East Bottoms for the former Winslow BBQ space at 20 E. Fifth St. in the City Market with an opening expected in mid-October.

To make way for Local Pig renovation, neighboring KC Soda Co. will close Monday, Aug. 27, and re-open Wednesday, Aug. 29, just steps away in a new permanent City Market space at 421 Main, according to the press release.

Once the renovation is complete, Local Pig & Pigwich will be an adjoined space with separate primary entrances on the Fifth Street side and the Market side respectively.

Unlike the current Pigwich operation housed in a walk-up trailer, the new location will have plenty of indoor seating to accommodate up to 75 guests with additional seasonal space on the large brick patio, according to the release.

Pigwich will still have counter service, and customers can look forward to a larger menu featuring all their mainstays, plus several additional sandwiches from the former daily specials lineup.

https://cityscenekc.com/local-pig-reloc ... bbq-space/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And I got no credit in the media for my breaking news
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

They are ruining River market with all these new buildings. Parking down there is getting to be a night mare. I don't do too good with parallel parking so I have to drive around until I find something. And before any body says something about parking garages I do not park in them. As a lady I do not feel safe walking through them.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Oh.

She's back.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

They are ruining RM with successful development and density? That is a new one.

Regardless, you can park anywhere east or west of Main Street from Union Station northward and just take the free streetcar if it's too hard to find a spot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is some insane story on fox 4 about how poke is making living down there a "nightmare"

Lol wtf
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

the poke place really needs to become a pokemon go gym, i feel like that completely justifiable misunderstanding is at the core of every complaint about that otherwise fine establishment

(, our hero typed during a very brief break from catching 'em all 2.5 streetcar stops south of poké)
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Did someone say "night mare"?

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Darlene wrote:They are ruining River market with all these new buildings. Parking down there is getting to be a night mare. I don't do too good with parallel parking so I have to drive around until I find something. And before any body says something about parking garages I do not park in them. As a lady I do not feel safe walking through them.
New buildings are better than no buildings at all lady. They bring new energy and life to an area along with making it more dense and safer. Storefronts that are bright and have security cameras push crime away.

If parking is getting to be a nightmare, I suggest a few things...
1. Learn to parallel park.
2. Park somewhere else and take the streetcar.
3. Have your friends and/or family pick you up and drop you off.

If parking is a nightmare, good! You know why? Because it shows progress towards developers and the city making the city a car optional environment. It's the way of the future and if you don't adapt, you may be left behind. Parking lots wont be around for ever and they shouldn't for obvious reasons. The biggest reasons are...
1. They are a waste of space.
2. They are god awful to look at.

As for the parking garage thing, I agree, I don't feel safe walking in them, so whenever I want to head down to river market, I'll have a friend or family member drop me off at the Union Station stop and I'll ride the streetcar down. What I really can't wait for id the extension to Country Club Plaza so whenever I visit family and friends here, I can just hop on at County Club Plaza after walking a few blocks. It is safe and fun, if not, why else would it be here?!?
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I have never felt safe in them there are just to many rapes for a lady to feel safe. Now what I like is angled parking on the street that is real easy. But the easiest is just find a good big parking lot and your all set. I do not agree with you Chris on the parking lots I think they are just fine. There are plenty in other places and they look fine to me.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Darlene, I heard they are calling for you over at Tony'sKC.