Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:
earthling wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: something is coming in the crossroads that would gobble up quite a few lots, with the first shot being the hotel at 16th & main.
Like the sound of that!
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Why are they putting the garage in an area that only has access that interferes with the streetcar line? Why not put it in the lot to the south and have an entrance/exit on Independence and another on Main which can access Walnut from Missouri Ave.
mykn

Post by mykn »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Why are they putting the garage in an area that only has access that interferes with the streetcar line? Why not put it in the lot to the south and have an entrance/exit on Independence and another on Main which can access Walnut from Missouri Ave.
I was wondering the same.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I've heard they're still working on the garage, but I'm nervous too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mykn wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Why are they putting the garage in an area that only has access that interferes with the streetcar line? Why not put it in the lot to the south and have an entrance/exit on Independence and another on Main which can access Walnut from Missouri Ave.
I was wondering the same.
Yeah I think we're all wondering that. Indy Ave. would be a much better experience for parkers too.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

Putting a new garage on 5th street is going to cause headache traffic congestion and eliminate a vital spot for residential/retail.
It doesn't need to be right next to the City Market, it needs to serve the City Market.
This would be the best block to build a new parking garage serving the City Market.
It's a 2 block walk to the Market and serves the streetcar line at the same time.
Large garage signage visible from the highway would comfort suburbanites and coach them into the cozy confines.
Just look at that quick on/off ramp access! It's win/win/win/win/win.
It would just keep winning until you're sick of the winning, eventually leading to America being great again

aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

NorthOak wrote:Putting a new garage on 5th street is going to cause headache traffic congestion and eliminate a vital spot for residential/retail.
It doesn't need to be right next to the City Market, it needs to serve the City Market.
This would be the best block to build a new parking garage serving the City Market.
It's a 2 block walk to the Market and serves the streetcar line at the same time.
Large garage signage visible from the highway would comfort suburbanites and coach them into the cozy confines.
It would just keep winning until you're sick of the winning, eventually leading to America being great again

Yes
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Who owns that lot?
mykn

Post by mykn »

NorthOak wrote:Putting a new garage on 5th street is going to cause headache traffic congestion and eliminate a vital spot for residential/retail.

I don't really care where they put it as long as it's tucked away and not taking valuable space near the market and causing traffic issues on the streetcar line or making it harder for pedestrians in the market. If anything, 5th street (and really, probably all the streets around the market) should be limited auto traffic, mostly streetcar and pedestrian. I do like smushing parking garage next to the interstate, if the interstate has to be there, then it can deal with the ugly garage.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Yet again, the city can not make someone build something specific on their private land to meet any specific standard.

Why is placement at one streetcar stop more desirable for car parking than another?

You pointed out two larger parcels meaning a larger and more valuable use can go on it. The very freeway you mention provides value in terms of outstanding delivery access for a business without needing to worry about parking on the streetcar tracks. There's more chances to build something of note on your highlighted spots than next to the city market.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Who owns that lot?
Commerce Bank has the west half and the company that owns the building on the NE corner of 7th/Walnut has the east half
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kauffman stadium II
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

pash wrote:
flyingember wrote:There's more chances to build something of note on your highlighted spots than next to the city market.
No, there's not. Maybe in the bright shining future in your head, but absolutely not right now, and not any time soon.
I agree as there are several lots abutting just like it that have sat empty for decades (40+ years).
KCPowercat wrote:Kauffman stadium II
If there was anything close to a sincere plan yeah leave the lot alone ...but there's not anything at all other than a rendering.
No one is doing anything on that. And I still think the north loop would be a disaster for a baseball stadium.
Kauffman II in the north loop also destroys the idea of taking down the north loop of the Interstate.
The Interstate access in the north loop is one of the things required to make baseball work in the north loop.
It's lose/lose/lose.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

flyingember wrote:Yet again, the city can not make someone build something specific on their private land to meet any specific standard.
The can't force, but the city can work with a developer to make it happen, just like the 5th street location is doing.
flyingember wrote:Why is placement at one streetcar stop more desirable for car parking than another?
Are you serious? You don't see the difference between:

a large garage right on crowded, already commercialized 5th St in the heart of the Market that would cluster-clog one of only 2 existing east-west roads and eliminate a lot that could be better used for residents/retail.

and

a large garage against and visible to the Interstate in a deader-than-dead zone that would fully service the streetcar's busiest stop and also service the City Market just 2 blocks away?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WoodDraw wrote:I've heard they're still working on the garage, but I'm nervous too.
you should be.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

NorthOak wrote:
Are you serious? You don't see the difference between:

a large garage right on crowded, already commercialized 5th St in the heart of the Market that would cluster-clog one of only 2 existing east-west roads and eliminate a lot that could be better used for residents/retail.

and

a large garage against and visible to the Interstate in a deader-than-dead zone that would fully service the streetcar's busiest stop and also service the City Market just 2 blocks away?
We're not building for today's environment, we're building for 50 years from now.

A large garage surrounded by buildings today
and
A large garage that will be surrounded by even more buildings in the future.

Neither place is a place for a huge parking garage, especially when we have in excess of 100,000 parking spots downtown. We haven't even scratched the surface to need new parking.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

NorthOak wrote:
Neither place is a place for a huge parking garage, especially when we have in excess of 100,000 parking spots downtown. We haven't even scratched the surface to need new parking.
[/quote]

And yet according to the Downtown Summit, companies looking to relocate don't think that's entirely true.
Last edited by kcjak on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Spent the day around downtown today (often take bus down weekdays) and is impressive to see City Market somewhat busy at 1:30pm on a weekday. It used to be nearly dead even at lunch time. Pretty obvious streetcar is the reason given how many get on/off at all 3 stops - many!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

NorthOak wrote:
pash wrote:
flyingember wrote:There's more chances to build something of note on your highlighted spots than next to the city market.
No, there's not. Maybe in the bright shining future in your head, but absolutely not right now, and not any time soon.
I agree as there are several lots abutting just like it that have sat empty for decades (40+ years).
KCPowercat wrote:Kauffman stadium II
If there was anything close to a sincere plan yeah leave the lot alone ...but there's not anything at all other than a rendering.
No one is doing anything on that. And I still think the north loop would be a disaster for a baseball stadium.
Kauffman II in the north loop also destroys the idea of taking down the north loop of the Interstate.
The Interstate access in the north loop is one of the things required to make baseball work in the north loop.
It's lose/lose/lose.
Actually the north loop going down would be required for Kauffman II and would still have I-35 access from the west and 69 access from the north and would build in parking needed in the current cavern.

I don't think it's the best spot for it but I wouldn't be against it.