Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:
They are always Northlanders worried about where they will park...
they'll get a nice big park and ride on the riverfront next to I-35/29.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCPowercat wrote:
mister816 wrote:this definitely has my attention.

http://baarchitecture.com/Client_Presen ... index.html
I like it....River Market could use a hotel....but I'd hate to be that one pair of existing condos on Wyandotte.
I love the 4th Street pedestrian axis through the entire block which extends the small stretch on the east side of Delaware. Great connection leading to/from the city market which could become another pedestrian activated corridor.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

This company owns quite a bit of property in the river market, yeah? Anyone have any experience with them?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:...but I'd hate to be that one pair of existing condos on Wyandotte.

they could be bought out.
I'd beg for it if I were them...and can someone build a ton of those things somewhere else downtown....I'll buy one.
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

That project looks amazing, though I don't like the idea of a tower that tall in the city market area.

Also, the design of the tower leaves a lot to be desired.

But the idea of an open market is great.

Honestly, I think they should do a big renovation of the current City Market. On the property between these two markets, add some more market space as well.

Thinking of making it a bit more expanded and grand, a la the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, or any traditional Middle Eastern bazaar, as well as Ancient Greek agoras and Roman forums.

Don't overbuild the market, but it should be more expanded and extensive than it currently is, with better hours. It burns me up that it's always closed by the time most of us get off work.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

UrbanKC wrote:That project looks amazing, though I don't like the idea of a tower that tall in the city market area.
You won't care after about 2 months. It will just be tall.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I like everything about this project, but would like to see it moved east and built on the current parking lot west of the market. That would provide more of a connection between an enclosed year-round market and the current outdoor stalls. One thing that's still missing from the city market/north loop is a hotel - 21c and the Hampton Inn are about it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Why did they make the hotel in the shape of a butt? And that music, ugh.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Interesting mix of uses, though designing a new building to look like an old building with a new building on top is a bit mannerist.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... posal.html
"I didn't really endorse that, nor did I know they were doing it," Slawson said of Kansas City-based B+A Architecture's presentation. "But it is based on my vision."
Slawson said the idea for the hotel, which would be the first in the River Market's recent history, was sparked by his personal preferences and frequent travels between Denver and Kansas City.
"What we want to do is add a nice, big indoor market to complement what's already down here from a market standpoint," he said.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Does the River Market have a height ordinance?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Riverite wrote:Does the River Market have a height ordinance?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9zDSfrUwAATWNv.jpg

I don't think there is anything binding in this area, and I think people are over thinking the hotel and height. I hope they start to reach out more and put a solid proposal together.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Riverite wrote:Does the River Market have a height ordinance?
The Greater Downtown Area Plan "recommends" a 75' maximum for the whole River Market (and dense mixed use). The parcels are already zoned UR.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The key word is "recommends"

If a height maximum is super important to the community it should get the council to set a stronger restriction much like parking requirements, setbacks, land use and the like.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

An indoor market would be awesome. Cleveland comes to mind with an awesome version.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I am fond of buildings that are four stories or less, but I'm curious why some are concerned about buildings being too tall?

What's the issue for you?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's an urbanized area so height shouldn't be a concern, especially with a hotel along a streetcar line that won't have as many visitors creating car traffic. The hotel should maybe artificially limit parking (with a premium daily cost) in order to encourage not renting a car (and should appease the immediate neighborhood). The hotel should highly promote it's along a free streetcar line.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:I am fond of buildings that are four stories or less, but I'm curious why some are concerned about buildings being too tall?

The best example of height controls is NYC. They didn't let number of people in an area determine the style, it was over sunlight getting to ground level. Their newest style is a base that goes to the street and the tower itself takes up part of the block.

http://untappedcities.com/2011/12/07/ho ... k-skyline/

I don't have a problem with the design, but this is one concern people will have.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:I am fond of buildings that are four stories or less, but I'm curious why some are concerned about buildings being too tall?

Agreed. But, I like this concept b/c the taller buildings are pushed to the corners of the site where they strike me as more appropriate. That said, I really doubt he'll ask for 20 stories here. I'd guess 10.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I heard something might go in at the surface parking lot directly west of the market and south of the dog pArk. Is there any confirmation on this or is it just hearsay