Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by smh »

heatherkay wrote:OK, guys. Help take care of them.

Burrito Bros. is open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. It plans to expand its hours in the spring, staying open until 8 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and until 5 p.m. Sundays.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/06/47 ... rylink=cpy
Looking forward to this! Hopefully they will keep it up until some of the new apartment buildings open.

Does anyone know if Habashi House is maintaining their evening hours?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

As of about a month ago (at least that I saw), Habashi House had abandoned their evening hours. :(
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Eon Blue wrote:As of about a month ago (at least that I saw), Habashi House had abandoned their evening hours. :(
Too bad, but not surprising. I wish all of the restaurants could get on board with evening hours at the same time. I think there is a greater likelihood of success if more than one or two places open at a time.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Eon Blue wrote:As of about a month ago (at least that I saw), Habashi House had abandoned their evening hours. :(
When they abandoned the evening hours they put up a sign saying they were switching to winter hours. I haven't asked them about it but I took that to mean that evening hours might return in the spring.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

smh wrote:Too bad, but not surprising. I wish all of the restaurants could get on board with evening hours at the same time. I think there is a greater likelihood of success if more than one or two places open at a time.
Yeah, a critical mass might help people get into the mindset of treating City Market as a dinner destination instead of zeroing in on Bo Ling's or Blue Nile.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/06/47 ... ng-up.html

Per this Star article of today, it looks like at least Burrito Bros. is stepping up to later hours.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Tenant finishes in progress for store fronts at 5th and Grand. Based on what I can find with the City, it looks like the corner is going to be a hair salon, the next storefront over (to the west) is going to be a law firm.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

heatherkay wrote:Tenant finishes in progress for store fronts at 5th and Grand. Based on what I can find with the City, it looks like the corner is going to be a hair salon, the next storefront over (to the west) is going to be a law firm.
nice! this corner is really shaping up, especially with the proposal to build on the SE corner!
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

This article said it was a Vietnamese restaurant going into 500 Grand:
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/29/46 ... rries.html
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

There was a occupant change on the list of permits, from the resto to the hair salon
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Dang, was looking forward to the restaurant. Suppose a salon would do better here, there is already abundance of Vietnamese in the area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mgh7676 wrote:Dang, was looking forward to the restaurant. Suppose a salon would do better here, there is already abundance of Vietnamese in the area.
Differing perspective: there can never be too much Vietnamese food available...
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Just saw a bobcat at Second and Delaware.

It ran for cover when it saw a young woman who was walking her dog. The woman walked within 20 feet of the car that it ran under, even though she saw the damn thing.

The cat is big enough to take her and the dog out. Not one of our brighter River Market dog owners....
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Bobcats almost never attack humans, though her dog might be tasty. Depends on the breed, I suppose.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Something called Kaldi's Coffee Roasting just put a sign up on the former moving company location on 5th Street (between Walnut and Grand, north side, next to where Scrape the Plate used to be). Quick Google search shows that they're a local chain in St. Louis and somehow affiliated with LatteLand. Didn't look like they were open for business yet.

http://kaldiscoffee.com/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

heatherkay wrote:Something called Kaldi's Coffee Roasting just put a sign up on the former moving company location on 5th Street (between Walnut and Grand, north side, next to where Scrape the Plate used to be). Quick Google search shows that they're a local chain in St. Louis and somehow affiliated with LatteLand. Didn't look like they were open for business yet.

That's a big development. Glad to see that Kaldi's thinks so highly of River Market.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Especially when there are already at least 3 coffee places within a couple blocks. Given the name, maybe a roasting facility?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Yeah, it's not very big, and the quick glimpse I got while driving past looked more like a storefront and roaster than a café. I couldn't figure out why they had the Latteland locations on the Kaldi's website. Same ownership group? They are the actual roaster for Latteland? Latteland website implies they roast their own beans.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

heatherkay wrote:Something called Kaldi's Coffee Roasting just put a sign up on the former moving company location on 5th Street (between Walnut and Grand, north side, next to where Scrape the Plate used to be). Quick Google search shows that they're a local chain in St. Louis and somehow affiliated with LatteLand. Didn't look like they were open for business yet.

I've enjoyed their stuff at LatteLand (who I think exclusively uses their stuff). I think they also sell tea.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the LatteLand in the P&L. With all of the places that have fizzled out, they seem to have established a solid foothold in the area. The staff is awesome there, and the breakfast sandwiches are pretty terrific compared to the other quick breakfast options in the area.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »