900 Baltimore Ave.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 900 Baltimore Ave.

Post by staubio »

ignatius wrote: glad to see this building saved but even better is that there is a momentum of downtown residents who are now impacting things that happen downtown.  that's the much bigger deal here.  downtown as a community is maturing.
Agreed. I think even 5 years ago, this would have come down with a few whimpers of old school preservationists not rising above the sound of falling brick. Now, downtowners and the preservation community responded swiftly, the city responded and we've got a workable plan. This is a different downtown.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote: Infuriating that the city was all, "Whoop, it's dangerous, spend > $10,000 to tear it down!" instead of, "Spend the $4,000 to fix it."
Ridiculous. Hope this is a lesson learned going forward.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The thing that encouraged me about this whole thing was reading that the Downtown Council got so involved finding a new owner, and that the City Manager, Troy Schulte, was also involved in finding a solution.

When it's a historic building of this type and vintage that contributes to a streetscape and historic district (preserving an architectural place in time for a whole block), the City should side on preservation when there is a failure in the structure.

It's right to point out that it was cheaper to stabilize the building than demolish it, and that should be a lesson going forward.

Just because some bricks fall off a building doesn't mean that it automatically should be demolished. In that case, the City should have a rescue plan instead of a demolition plan.  Barricade the sidewalk and part of the street if necessary.

The other thing I think needs to be done is that the City's Landmarks Commission should identify significant buildings that should be preserved (even if they aren't on the Historic Register), and work with the city inspections department and City Council (through new ordinances) to increase the number of inspections on these empty buildings to make sure the roof is maintained and they are developing water damage in the walls that could prove perilous in the future.

Literally millions in taxpayer money (historic tax credits, or TIF) could have been saved with the Mainstreet Theater renovation had the roof just been maintained in past years and all that water damage prevented. I'm sure there had to be mold remediation removing debris as well as stabilizing the walls that had been damaged by water.  So many interior details in the theater were completely lost.
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC-wildcat wrote: First floor retail, second floor office. 

What retail do people want to see in there?  What would do well in that part of town? 

Catholic bookstore? 

I've always thought a little indie coffee shop that also sold snacks would be great there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Absolutely no foot traffic in that immediate area. Not sure what would work there.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It might work if they focused on evenings when the other coffee places are closed and have live performances, readings, WiFi, etc.  A lot of people leaving the downtown library have nowhere to hang out after it closes.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

An old school deli. If done right this could be really popular with more discerning downtown lunch customers.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A used bookstore would be cool downtown but I see that in a higher traffic area like crossroads or city market.

taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Used bookstores make tons of money! Especially when they rent at retail prices in the CBD. Sign me up.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

taxi wrote: Used bookstores make tons of money! Especially when they rent at retail prices in the CBD. Sign me up.
maybe it could also sell blank VHS tapes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Used bookstores in places like downtown almost always have to have owned their building outright for years to stay open.  Many used book stores these days make a good portion of their money selling books through online services like Ebay and Amazon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ill shut up with my dumb ideas. :)

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

the downtown council needs to put out another survey to residents on what they want.  so far they got the market and it's a success.

if they do another survey, someone may jump for the number one item if that's what downtowner's want. is likely to easier to find what can succeed with this method than just trying different things and hope for the best.

even if a major retailer came in number one, the retailer would probably like to know that.  could make a difference and they go for it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I would love to have an urban electronics retailer (Best Buy). Though the Cosby is obviously not the appropriate spot for that. Perhaps the ground floor of the new Polsinelli tower...
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wonder what happened to the staples talk....that seemed pretty serious a while back.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

How about... The Cosby Hotel? Get Bill Cosby to endorse it or something. "You know what I like better than Jello Pudding Pops? Flying into Kansas City to catching a performance of the KC Symphony. And when I do, I stay at the Cosby Hotel, because Cosby knows quality. Free chocolate cake for the kids."
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if the Cosby would be more marketable if they were able to add new space on the parking lot to the west?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I'm pretty sure that parking lot is for the Union Carbide lofts.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm not talking about the parking garage to the west. I'm talking about the small space where the west wing of the Cosby Hotel used to be. The part that was demolished.

I think there is only room for six or seven cars there. I can't imagine the new buyers would purchase the property without that parcel.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ross Dress for Less?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag