900 Baltimore Ave.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 900 Baltimore Ave.

Post by KC-wildcat »

Drove by today and noticed that some fairly substantial work was being done on the western exposure of the Cosby Hotel.

Looked like the western side had been opened up, framed out, and fresh sheathing attached. Don't know if this is just a short-term fix or if this is a new base layer against which a frick facade will be erected.

I'll try to take some pictures later.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Happiness. :)

I wish they could work out a situation where they rent parking from the Catholic Diocese, TenMain Center, or the parking lot up at 9th and Wyandotte, so that they could build a new wing on the west side of the building. I would love to see the street wall rebuilt on that side instead of that ugly gap being there.

If parking could be worked out, it would seem to me that the owner could make more money on that parcel by having rentable office or retail space than parking. He could almost double the rentable space with a wing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I walk past this building today, and they have the Tyvek up, and are starting to erect the new brick facade on the west side of the building.

The only thing about this building that makes me sad is that they aren't putting up a new wing on the west side to rebuild the street wall down the south side of W. 9th Street.

On another note, I notice the former Lane Printing Building has offices in it now on the ground floor. Like all WTF situations in KC, the entrance is off the alley and the front door isn't being used at all. Does anyone know what is in the former Lane Building? I didn't see any signage.

In addition, I noticed that there was what appeared to be a call center in the first floor windows of the Union Carbide Building. No signs there either. Does anyone know what is in that building?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

FangKC wrote: In addition, I noticed that there was what appeared to be a call center in the first floor windows of the Union Carbide Building. No signs there either. Does anyone know what is in that building?
Union Carbide is now lofts. Interiors by El Dorado I believe.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Midtownkid wrote:
FangKC wrote: In addition, I noticed that there was what appeared to be a call center in the first floor windows of the Union Carbide Building. No signs there either. Does anyone know what is in that building?

The first floor (or two) was purchased as office space for a business.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Awesome blog post about the former hotel. GREAT pictures. I really hope the details etc can be restored. It has some great surprises!

http://f-stop-etcetera.blogspot.com/201 ... hotel.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Wow, that is some big find. This building is literally a time capsule. With some of those elements inside, it would make a great restaurant space once it's restored. That ceiling is a real jewel.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Cosby Hotel owner will pitch plan to redevelop the historic Kansas City building

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... a=e_du_pub
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/cosby-h ... id=2762959
Architect Lon Booher and developer Jason Swords have teamed up to refurbish the three-story, 15,000-square-foot building at Ninth Street and Baltimore, two years after it was scheduled to be toppled and turned into a parking lot. They bought the building in July 2011 and began a $2.88 million mixed-use redevelopment of the historic site.

"The idea for the second floor is to restore it to how it was originally as a hotel but convert it to office space," Booher says. "And then the first floor — just commercial, maybe some retail."
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I feel like I'm playing Fallout.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Anyone remember what those original windows looked like? Designed by FLW?? Really? That's awesome. SO glad they were able to get them back.
"Booher says he and Swords are now in discussions with the National Park Service about reinstalling the building's windows. Sometime in the past 15 years, when the Cosby seemed destined to come down, the building's owner called Architectural Salvage, which saved the original windows and doors.

"We went down to Architectural Salvage and actually bought them back," Moberly says. "All of the windows, they have little prisms in the windowpanes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The design was his original." The windows now sit in the Sunflower Development Group's offices at 1520 Grand, waiting to be returned. "We're going to put them back in there," Moberly says."
Can't believe they expect to be open by Fall. Wonder what restaurants will open there. I could see Axios fitting in better there.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

pash wrote:Ninth & Baltimore could turn into a nice little corner. Is the Union Carbide building finished and filling up?

Union Carbide has been finished for nearly two years and has been fully (100%) occupied for about a year.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:
Midtownkid wrote:

The first floor (or two) was purchased as office space for a business.
three
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:
pash wrote:Ninth & Baltimore could turn into a nice little corner. Is the Union Carbide building finished and filling up?

Union Carbide has been finished for nearly two years and has been fully (100%) occupied for about a year.
wrong. it still isn't 100% occupied.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/05/39 ... cosby.html

Collison article on new deli to be opening on the first floor of the old Cosby Hotel.

Jon Gerner, whose many trades include bartender, draftsman and cognoscenti of all things restaurant, is teaming with Jason Pryor, founder of Pizza 51, to take the prime corner of the building at Ninth and Baltimore and bring back the Milwaukee Delicatessen Co. The deli was a fixture at the Cosby during the mid-20th Century.

Their plan is to open not only a great deli, but serve Pizza 51 pizza as well and offer a full-service bar.

The use seems perfect. That corner, with its big plate glass windows and the wonderful old brick facade, always reminded me of the famous Edward Hopper painting from the 1940s, “Nighthawks.”

Now, some 21st Century diners from all the renovated apartment buildings and other businesses in the area should soon be able to gather for a late night snack.
Developer Jason Swords said a full-service bakery called Sasha’s will occupy the remainder of the first level.

Swords also has lined up office tenants for the second floor which he declined to identify, and leased parking will be provided in a nearby garage owned by Powell. Swords’ partner in Sunflower is Lon Booher.

“That building has been tough from a financing aspect and a historic aspect, and we’re excited to get construction underway,” Swords said.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Unreal. This is perfect for that spot. I cannot wait to check it out!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Great news. I really hope the deli is not one that just slices up Boar's Head. A deli will really add to the neighborhood-ness of the downtown core.

Side note - How many delis in KC make their own pastrami or have custom cured meats? I'm not sure what New York Deli used to do, but it was easily my favorite deli in KC before it closed. I've still never been to La Salla's, so I haven't exactly been scouring the town for a good deli sandwich.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Italian deli or Jewish deli?