900 Baltimore Ave.

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 900 Baltimore Ave.

Post by dangerboy »

A big part of the problem is that the Historic Kansas City Foundation has yet to recover from the loss of Jane Flynn, who apparently did the work of 10 people.  They don't seem to have the capacity to monitor at-risk buildings nor respond swiftly and forcefully when an emergency like the Cosby arises.

Right now there really isn't a good watchdog for the city's historic buildings.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Except the kcrag forum, apparently... heh.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

mean wrote: Except the kcrag forum, apparently... heh.
But it's a pretty selective watchdog.  We haven't done a good job watching out for buildings in Midtown or the East Side, or Old Northeast that haven't been as lucky as the Cosby.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Again, I will suggest that Historic Kansas City Foundation isn't effective partly because it doesn't encourage its' membership to be active, but passive observers.

When I contacted them about joining, I was told that members weren't allowed to attend monthly board meetings. Just the board. Members were only allowed to attend one general meeting annually. How can any group be activist when that is their policy?

Basically, as a member, you get a quarterly newsletter.

When was the last time one ever saw the membership of the Historic Kansas City Foundation do a public protest?

How can a group garner public sympathy and action if the group is unwilling to be vocal and visible?

http://historickansascity.org/index.php ... &Itemid=70

Yes, Jane Flynn was great and appreciated. However, such a group should never have to depend on one person like that.
There is no fifth destination.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sounds like the foundation may have been co-opted! :P
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

I noticed that all of the windows have been removed from the building.  I hope this is a prelude to imminent replacement, does anyone know?  (I have this disturbing vision of the owner leaving the structure open to the elements for a few months then once again acting as if he's a passive and surprised bystander as the building condition deteriorates a bit further and we rehash this whole crisis yet again).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Reminds me of the Hawthorne Plaza Apartment building at 39th and Main. It has so many open windows.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

HalcyonKC wrote: I noticed that all of the windows have been removed from the building.  I hope this is a prelude to imminent replacement, does anyone know?  (I have this disturbing vision of the owner leaving the structure open to the elements for a few months then once again acting as if he's a passive and surprised bystander as the building condition deteriorates a bit further and we rehash this whole crisis yet again).
the windows were removed as soon as the original demo permit was issued (and that demo has since been postponed). i assume the window glass will have to be replaced at some point if the building is to be stabilized.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Or they will board them up.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

YIKES!

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/27/21 ... lding.html
Owner Rick Powell said Friday that he had hired Industrial Wrecking, a demolition company, and expected work to begin in a ?week or so.?
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

What a dick! There are always options. What can be done?
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

This completely unmasks any pretense whatsoever about the owner wanting to save the building.  He wants the lot for parking and that's it.  Asshole.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

When I am mayor I am putting an additional huge tax on unused buildings and surface parking lots. Make these owners use their land.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So, what are the options?  Can the council do anything?  Could the city not issue a demo permit?  Can this guy be shamed publically?  Does he have clients or partners that would rather not be associated with this sort of thing?  How much money does he need to go away?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote: So, what are the options?  Can the council do anything?  Could the city not issue a demo permit?  Can this guy be shamed publically?  Does he have clients or partners that would rather not be associated with this sort of thing?  How much money does he need to go away?
Perhaps someone should point out to him that with Key Bank leaving and AMC considering a Plaza location, the demand for parking downtown could be dropping significantly in the coming months. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I fear our only recourse is to tickle him until he agrees to not demo.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I believe public humiliation may be the best and only option. However, it will likely only happen after the fact, which is too late and amounts only to revenge, making it kinda worthless, but fun, nonetheless.

I, of course, will deny knowing anything.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

taxi wrote: I believe public humiliation may be the best and only option. However, it will likely only happen after the fact, which is too late and amounts only to revenge, making it kinda worthless, but fun, nonetheless.

I, of course, will deny knowing anything.
Unfortunately, unless it is a cherished and well-known building like the P&L building or Union Station, the public at large is going to see the demolition as progress and the owner as a hero.  Public humiliation is not going to be a factor. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Highlander wrote: Unfortunately, unless it is a cherished and well-known building like the P&L building or Union Station the Balcony Building, the public at large is going to see the demolition as progress and the owner as a hero.  Public humiliation is not going to be a factor.   
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

Rick Powell states that no solid proposal has emerged to acquire the building.  Granted, he only allowed one month to pass since the previous go-round on this and is clearly chomping at the bit to tear it down.  But setting that aside and just looking at the numbers, I don't see why saving this building (from him, for now) isn't eminently doable?  

The Jackson County property tax roll values the Cosby at $300,000.  Additionally I see that there is roughly a $10,000 yearly property tax liability on the parcel.  

Anyway, $300K is the same value as a reasonably nice loft or house.  Is it naive of me to plunk this number into an amortization calculator and come up with a monthly payment to save the building?  6%, 30 years on 300K comes up to about $1800 per month.  Plop $900 per month on top of that and $2700 per month would at least get the building out of Powell's hands.  Then, our new theoretical owner-entity would worry about stabilization costs while looking for a permanent buyer.  

To spread the costs around and pull funds in, a designated 503b charity could be set up to handle this--or just set up a designated account at an existing 503b.  The goal wouldn't be to own the building forever, just to stabilize the structure and bridge ownership to someone who will accept "historic" designation and be a responsible steward going forward, however long it takes to find such a buyer.

So, what am I missing?