Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3926
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:50 pm
Location: downtown

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby moderne » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:53 am

The tangled mat of roots and vegetation knitted the surface of the hillside together. Wish they would have taken the Roanoke Park approach and just worked on taking out the invasive honeysuckle. I am unclear how this project will channel away the water that percolates down and out where it hits the limestone. Even without the threat of falling rock slimy wet sidewalks in summer and icy walks in winter are a big problem. This is the only north south sidewalk other than Grand in the area. Broadway sidewalk through PV Park is hazardous crossing freeway ramps and Gillham unbelievably has no sidewalks between Children's Mercy and the Sheraton.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3613
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby grovester » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am

It is unclear, but the schematic does reference a drainage aspect.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby TheLastGentleman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:54 am

grovester wrote:It is unclear, but the schematic does reference a drainage aspect.

Yeah, it looks like there's a ditch or something at the top of the wall in the diagram

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5782
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby scooterj » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 pm

moderne wrote:This is the only north south sidewalk other than Grand in the area.


And even that can't be bothered to have continuous segments on either side south of 26th Street.

gfenn11
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:15 am

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby gfenn11 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 pm

moderne wrote:The tangled mat of roots and vegetation knitted the surface of the hillside together. Wish they would have taken the Roanoke Park approach and just worked on taking out the invasive honeysuckle. I am unclear how this project will channel away the water that percolates down and out where it hits the limestone. Even without the threat of falling rock slimy wet sidewalks in summer and icy walks in winter are a big problem. This is the only north south sidewalk other than Grand in the area. Broadway sidewalk through PV Park is hazardous crossing freeway ramps and Gillham unbelievably has no sidewalks between Children's Mercy and the Sheraton.


I understand the frustration on Gillham as well. While walking to work (CMH) I have to take the sidewalk behind the Sheraton that is usually ripe with homeless by the emergency exits of the hotel. If I wanted to walk up the sidewalk that goes by the memorial park, I have to walk in the street up by the hospital since they have closed the sidewalks for construction. It's very frustrating either way.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12565
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby FangKC » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Image
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:27 pm
Location: Roanoke, KCMO

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby Midtownkid » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Looks like the old stone wall is remaining in place, but that could change. Hope it stays or is re-built in after.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 320
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby TheLastGentleman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 pm

FangKC wrote:Image

Thanks for the picture!

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5782
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby scooterj » Mon May 07, 2018 2:19 pm

None of the fountains or the reflecting pool at Liberty Memorial have been turned on yet this season, and in fact the drinking fountains are still off too. Come to think of it, the fountains here were barely on last year, either. It doesn't seem like the hillside work should require the water to be shut off. Anyone have any inside knowledge as to why all the water features are dry? Just curious more than anything.

User avatar
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2803
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Postby smh » Mon May 07, 2018 3:43 pm

scooterj wrote:None of the fountains or the reflecting pool at Liberty Memorial have been turned on yet this season, and in fact the drinking fountains are still off too. Come to think of it, the fountains here were barely on last year, either. It doesn't seem like the hillside work should require the water to be shut off. Anyone have any inside knowledge as to why all the water features are dry? Just curious more than anything.


I was up there a week or so ago and the drinking fountains were on.

... you have to hold the button for several seconds.


Return to “Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests