Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Post by FangKC »

gfenn11 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 pm
moderne wrote:The tangled mat of roots and vegetation knitted the surface of the hillside together. Wish they would have taken the Roanoke Park approach and just worked on taking out the invasive honeysuckle. I am unclear how this project will channel away the water that percolates down and out where it hits the limestone. Even without the threat of falling rock slimy wet sidewalks in summer and icy walks in winter are a big problem. This is the only north south sidewalk other than Grand in the area. Broadway sidewalk through PV Park is hazardous crossing freeway ramps and Gillham unbelievably has no sidewalks between Children's Mercy and the Sheraton.
I understand the frustration on Gillham as well. While walking to work (CMH) I have to take the sidewalk behind the Sheraton that is usually ripe with homeless by the emergency exits of the hotel. If I wanted to walk up the sidewalk that goes by the memorial park, I have to walk in the street up by the hospital since they have closed the sidewalks for construction. It's very frustrating either way.
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:21 pm Those shots are just making me want some landscaping in the north lawn. Build a staircase!
Yesterday, when I found those image--in the links above, I also came across this approach found in Halderstein, Switzerland--and nearby.

https://tinyurl.com/y7pbscqu

Another.

https://tinyurl.com/yacwtxbd

https://tinyurl.com/yb2a64dt

https://tinyurl.com/y73hu2xg

https://tinyurl.com/yatatot8

These are very natural-looking methods of creating a retaining wall, and using vegetation to make it more attractive and absorb some of the runoff.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I've noticed this summer that the Memorial is using the east lawn as a parking lot. The grass has died and it was very dusty today. Sullied the view somewhat.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

A problem, but a very nice problem, that Memorial/Museum is requiring additional parking. Glad to hear it.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looks like the retaining wall is almost finished. It reminds me of the faux stone at Disneyland rides such as Big Thunder Mtn RR and Star Wars.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I recommend checking this out if you haven't already. It's going to be like this every night until the 11th

missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I know the current display isn't, but does anyone know if the lamp/projector installation is permanent?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Judging from the sloppy, bulky and unattractive appearance, I would guess not.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Yeah, the projectors are all in trailers and carts, not embedded in the ground or anything. It would be cool to have some permanent laser projections on monuments, though. I know the lobby of St. Louis's union station has a permanent projection show that plays like every half hour
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It sure was nice to have tons of people in the park last night. Seems like a permanent video display could really add something to the site.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:42 pm It sure was nice to have tons of people in the park last night. Seems like a permanent video display could really add something to the site.
Could also be cool to get union station's 100th anniversary animation permanently installed. Since it's already animated, they'd just have to install the lamps. There's plenty of space in the front plaza to work with
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:36 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:42 pm It sure was nice to have tons of people in the park last night. Seems like a permanent video display could really add something to the site.
Could also be cool to get union station's 100th anniversary animation permanently installed. Since it's already animated, they'd just have to install the lamps. There's plenty of space in the front plaza to work with
I don't understand why they don't show this again. Like you said, the animation is already done. Perhaps the size of Union Station prevents buying the number of projectors needed, rather than renting them like they did for the 100th anniversary. But the north lawn of Liberty Memorial is a great spot for viewing and I'd think would be a big draw for summer tourists.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Add some speakers and you could have a son et lumiere show like at Chichen Itza, Uxmal, the Pyramids and Karnak temple.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Not sure how many projectors they are using but for a 32k lumen laser phosphor projector your a talking 100 grand each (no bulbs, no maintenance required). So I'm guessing 400k to 600k to purchase. Anyone know how many projectors they are using?

In the summer you wouldn't be able to start projecting until after 9 pm with a southern exposure.

Looks like there are people walking around in the projected image so you wouldn't be able to use direct view lasers projectors. (A very stupid and antiquated FDA rule).
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I didn't count them but there were at least 20.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:57 pm I didn't count them but there were at least 20.
That's a lot.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

There are lots of other improvements I'd like to see done before that anyways. The main one being a redo of the north lawn
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:30 pm There are lots of other improvements I'd like to see done before that anyways. The main one being a redo of the north lawn
Exactly. Always wanted that lawn to look like Versailles, the one in France, not Missouri.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:36 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:30 pm There are lots of other improvements I'd like to see done before that anyways. The main one being a redo of the north lawn
Exactly. Always wanted that lawn to look like Versailles, the one in France, not Missouri.
City Park in Versailles, MO is fancier than the north lawn
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:52 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:36 pm
City Park in Versailles, MO is fancier than the north lawn
=D> =D> =D>
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square