Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
TrolliKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by TrolliKC » Fri May 10, 2019 2:09 pm

kenrbnj wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am


Disclosure: I would love to see a top-tier hotel serve the convention center. There needs to be a hint of a concession by the developers, however.
Yes I wish they would have handled this a little more deftly. Maybe they will in the compromise with the council

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10807
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by mean » Fri May 10, 2019 4:43 pm

kcjak wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm
The entity that runs/manages Crown Center was interested in reducing costs and by getting both properties under a single company (Marriott/Starwood), they could streamline business expenses like food management, marketing of meeting space and make renovations cheaper and more efficient.

Hyatt had plans to build on the Plaza around the same time they lost the Crown Center property, either north of the Sheraton Suites or 46th Terr/Pennsylvania, but the proposal was determined to be too large and required too many incentives.
While this is no doubt part of the truth, I believe it is also true that Hyatt had been in negotiations with CCRC for quite a while regarding the inevitable renovations, and it eventually became clear that CCRC was not going to renovate to the standards Hyatt expected. I was not privy to the actual negotiations, but I heard through the grapevine that Hyatt was looking for something like $20 million and CCRC was looking for more like $10 million, which is a lot closer to what they ended up putting into it to meet Sheraton's approval.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by normalthings » Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm

https://press.fourseasons.com/stlouis/hotel-facts/


The Four Season STL is a good comparison project. Similar sizes, offerings, and price points albeit in a softer market.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by normalthings » Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 am

The KC Star published a great op-ed by the developer. He laid out the facts: big increases to taxing jurisdictions, high paying jobs, ability to attract conventions/events, no city risk. It is kind of sad that the KC Star’s own journalists were not capable of producing as high quality of work.

In other news... Hyatt was confirmed as the operator. My guess is that the property will be a Park Hyatt. Andaz and “The Ultimate Collection” also somewhat fit the Hotel Bravo description. However, IMHO the interior renderings and higher end FFE are more fitting of a Park Hyatt.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/read ... 3224.html

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by WoodDraw » Wed May 15, 2019 2:07 am

I would vote this through. They're going to have to come back with something though because it's election season.

Start thinking of what they can offer to seem like a compromise because everyone will be against it as is.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by normalthings » Wed May 15, 2019 7:48 am

WoodDraw wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:07 am
I would vote this through. They're going to have to come back with something though because it's election season.

Start thinking of what they can offer to seem like a compromise because everyone will be against it as is.
Good thing the TIF Commission put off a vote till after the election. ;-)

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 am

normalthings wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 am
The KC Star published a great op-ed by the developer.
Perhaps if they felt a little less entitled to incentives and revised their messaging to be less tone-deaf, it wouldn't be as controversial.

I would vote it down just for the Super TIF request alone, assuming it passes AdvanceKC in any recognizable form.

kenrbnj
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:16 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by kenrbnj » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 am

Compelling piece in the op-ed.

Hyatt is the named operator. That suggested the planning is deeper than a "conceptual plan."

References to "parking garages" and such are a thumb in the eye to Cordish: "See? We're asking for concessions; but not as profoundly as (sic) Two Light and Three Light." The power of the precedent.

Hey. Hopefully concessions will be made on both sides to make the project real.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29338
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by KCPowercat » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 am

I think the idea has merit but this approach is poor

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13912
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by FangKC » Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 pm

They might be over-asking on purpose with the intended goal of accepting a much smaller version of the list.

User avatar
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by LCDSI » Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 pm

I hope this goes through. The editorial provided a compelling argument and I hope they are able to work something out.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by normalthings » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Does the award of the 2023 NFL Draft to Kansas City change your opinion of this project? Specifically the market for an Ultra Luxury Hotel in KC.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by DaveKCMO » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 am

Not for Super TIF.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29338
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by KCPowercat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:53 am

I can't think of one event that would.chsnge my opinion of any permanent projects.

User avatar
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 356
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by LCDSI » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Does anyone know if this project is still being discussed this week for TIF consideration?

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by normalthings » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 pm

LCDSI wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Does anyone know if this project is still being discussed this week for TIF consideration?
Public Hearing at 10am

Recommended Action: Approval of the plan and forwarding to City Council, Recommending Do Pass to the city council, etc

IMHO: They should not take Hotel Bravo up until after the election. The proposed use of TIF, Super TIF, and CID to cover more than 40% of the project cost will not look good to voters next week.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 am

Wow.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2499
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by kboish » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am

normalthings wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 pm
LCDSI wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Does anyone know if this project is still being discussed this week for TIF consideration?
Public Hearing at 10am

Recommended Action: Approval of the plan and forwarding to City Council, Recommending Do Pass to the city council, etc

IMHO: They should not take Hotel Bravo up until after the election. The proposed use of TIF, Super TIF, and CID to cover more than 40% of the project cost will not look good to voters next week.
Collisson stated via the Twitters that this vote was delayed until July.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1718
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by normalthings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm

kboish wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am
normalthings wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 pm
LCDSI wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm
Does anyone know if this project is still being discussed this week for TIF consideration?
Public Hearing at 10am

Recommended Action: Approval of the plan and forwarding to City Council, Recommending Do Pass to the city council, etc

IMHO: They should not take Hotel Bravo up until after the election. The proposed use of TIF, Super TIF, and CID to cover more than 40% of the project cost will not look good to voters next week.
Collisson stated via the Twitters that this vote was delayed until July.
Meeting coming up on July 10th. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this project will not be ready for the City Council until after the new council comes in.
https://www.edckc.com/event/tif-commiss ... 019-07-10/

langosta
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by langosta » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:21 pm

Hotel Bravo: Before Photo
Image

Post Reply