Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by KCPowercat »

There definitely is (was?) something there. That annoying riding lawnmower hauling brats around used to drive around it.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

It was removed a couple years ago.

On a sidenote, I don't get all the hand-wringing about the layout on the east side of Walnut through there; I'd put just enough thought/effort there to make it look nice until 2026 (or whenever the Arabia museum leaves).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:43 pm
Edited: Why not curve the whole road to the east and eat up some of the wide plaza areas in front of the Arabia Museum, while preserving the "public square" in the rendered median area? Basically, keep all the traffic and parking to the east of the median in the current rendering.
Safety. When lanes shift it create blind spots where an oncoming car is blocking visibility of part of your lane.
If everything hits wrong you could go past a car at 20mph and hit a child because they were hidden by the driver's side of the car you just passed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm There definitely is (was?) something there. That annoying riding lawnmower hauling brats around used to drive around it.
Read that as brats. As in bratwursts. For a second I thought I'd missing out all these years.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

smh wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:25 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:52 pm There definitely is (was?) something there. That annoying riding lawnmower hauling brats around used to drive around it.
Read that as brats. As in bratwursts. For a second I thought I'd missing out all these years.
Hah! I thought the same thing, had to go back to the previous page to get the context.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

smh wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:25 pm
Same as I typed it. Did s double take
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

swid wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:56 pm It was removed a couple years ago.

On a sidenote, I don't get all the hand-wringing about the layout on the east side of Walnut through there; I'd put just enough thought/effort there to make it look nice until 2026 (or whenever the Arabia museum leaves).
So what should the city tell their tenants in the meantime?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

“Estelle’s Diner” Opens Friday in Former Cascone’s in River Market
If there’s such a thing as a healthy diner, that’s Anton Kotar’s plan to reinvent the soon-to-close Cascone’s Grill in the River Market.

Kotar intends to serve plenty of his trademark grass-fed beef at what he’s calling “Estelle’s Diner,” named after his six-year-old daughter.
“We’re going to do comfort food like an old-fashioned American diner,” he said. “I want to try to keep it as clean as I can, although I don’t know if it will be completely organic.”
https://cityscenekc.com/estelles-diner- ... er-market/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I remember being really excited about Anton's "Estelle's" diner concept when he was talking about it going into the former Nichols diner on 39th several years ago.

However, between the absurdly quick turn-around here (Cascone's closed last week! Estelle's opens this week!), seemingly keeping many things the same aesthetically, and "on-going" changes through the Spring, I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the idea.

Brown & Loe and Opera House cover some of these bases on the same block, but an upscale diner across from City Market would be nice if done right.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am I remember being really excited about Anton's "Estelle's" diner concept when he was talking about it going into the former Nichols diner on 39th several years ago.

However, between the absurdly quick turn-around here (Cascone's closed last week! Estelle's opens this week!), seemingly keeping many things the same aesthetically, and "on-going" changes through the Spring, I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the idea.

Brown & Loe and Opera House cover some of these bases on the same block, but an upscale diner across from City Market would be nice if done right.
Also don't forget his Delaware St burger concept. I wish him the best, but I'm with you on the enthusiasm.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:27 pm Bringing the urban edge up would improve the space immensely. While I see reopening Walnut as a good step forward, I hope it's the first part of a larger plan at some point.

Here's how it used to look.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:36 pm Main between 13th and 14th Streets, on the east side of the block. The "See the River Quay" sign was on the building that the haunted house, The Main Street Morgue, was in.

This is the building from behind.

I found the front of the building with the "Come See River Quay" sign. It's the five-story brown brick building (on the right side) that is just south of the one with the Gateway sign.

Last edited by FangKC on Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

FangKC wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:44 am Image

Here's how it used to look.
That's an interesting shot that really shows how the Arabia's building was originally designed for freight from trucks and train cars. That's why there's such an excessive setback.

However, what I've been referring to is way before that photo was taken, when walnut had buildings coming clear up to the street. You can see it in the photo below.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Here are the 1940 tax photos for the blocks between Walnut and Grand between 3rd and 5th streets.

http://cdm16795.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... /431/rec/1

http://cdm16795.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... /424/rec/1

Aerial 1940.

Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

So much density still to destroy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

3rd & Grand became paid parking this week: http://ridekc.org/bulletins/march-5-3rd ... id-parking
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

New meters in the neighborhood:

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The most annoying thing about the centralized kiosk is the return trip to your car for the paper receipt.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:31 am The most annoying thing about the centralized kiosk is the return trip to your car for the paper receipt.
These were supposed to be "pay by plate", so you don't need to display the receipt. Does it tell you to do that?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh I have no idea on these specifically. I thought they were all the same concept Nationwide and I've used they in other cities.

If it was is part by plate that's nice for people that know their plate (not me)