Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by scooterj »

Update on new weekday parking policy for City Market. Seems like a good compromise to help solve the problem.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ci ... ing-policy

Bonus: Includes Sue Burke once again crying and threatening to move her air filter business.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Ugh, she should just do it anyway. No one wants her air filter business there.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote:Update on new weekday parking policy for City Market. Seems like a good compromise to help solve the problem.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ci ... ing-policy

Bonus: Includes Sue Burke once again crying and threatening to move her air filter business.
$55 to park is really cheap downtown. All the other businesses paying for their employee's parking knows this is whining.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So is City Market a private owned entity or city owned or something in between?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The city market is owned by the city. An appointed oversight board is the main decision maker for the area, while a management company is hired to run the day-to-day operations.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

tower wrote: No one wants her air filter business there.
I do.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Me too, but I don't want to subsidize her parking. Maybe she could talk to the City Market management and get a group rate. Or maybe they are tired of her squatting on their lot. I'm not sure I follow her logic as to why she should get free parking.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

chingon wrote:
tower wrote: No one wants her air filter business there.
I do.
Ok... May I ask why?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Because a legitimate, revenue-generating business is good for the city?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

^ with that logic i guess you support Quiktrips, car washes, vape shops, etc on every corner in every neighborhood then :D
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

shinatoo wrote:Because a legitimate, revenue-generating business is good for the city?
Agreed, but if she moved to another location and put her building in the market, that would enable someone to turn it into something better. This is prime real estate near the streetcar. I'm not sure that an air filter business is what we need right there.

And I'm not suggesting we drive her out with pitchforks and torches, I'm just saying that I am indifferent to her plight.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Just so I know for next time, does this include the big lot at 3rd and Grand (by the bus stops)? I usually park there and take the streetcar to events at the Music Hall instead of dealing with the cluster that is Barney Allis garage. Also the article said weekends would be free, is there any indication whether that would kick in on Friday evenings or not until Saturday mornings?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

^I could be wrong, but I think a previous article said it would still be free. That lot is owned by the KCATA, not the city
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

shaffe wrote:Just so I know for next time, does this include the big lot at 3rd and Grand (by the bus stops)?
No. KCATA owns that lot. They may develop it in the future, but the changes currently being discussed do not involve that.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

She really has 30 employees? I count 44 + 10 spots in 2/3 of the lots across Grand from the building. Good thing no one else has employees or customers.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

shaffe wrote: I usually park there and take the streetcar to events at the Music Hall instead of dealing with the cluster that is Barney Allis garage. Also the article said weekends would be free, is there any indication whether that would kick in on Friday evenings or not until Saturday mornings?
Plus, I think this is only during business hours (like 7am-5pm) so I don't think they will charge you anyways for the times you are talking about going.

I think the main idea is to prevent people from parking in those lots and then going to work.

Edit: and a KCStar confirms...pay for parking only M-F during daytime biz hours. Evenings and weekends are free.
Last edited by kboish on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

tower wrote:Ugh, she should just do it anyway. No one wants her air filter business there.
The streetcar authority buys from her apparently.

The business would be perfect in NKC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 90699.html
The owners of the new Tribe said they want it to be a “communal” concept with customers sitting together, sharing plates of global cuisines with cocktails and beers in pitchers to share, or in individual glasses.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 90699.html
The owners of the new Tribe said they want it to be a “communal” concept with customers sitting together, sharing plates of global cuisines with cocktails and beers in pitchers to share, or in individual glasses.
fried chicken pancake taco
I wish them the best and hope they prove my skepticism wrong, but I worry that a concept of everything is often a concept of nothing. It sounds like the type of restaurant I used to think would be cool but now realize is incredibly difficult to pull off. When I hear "global cuisine" and "owners," with no mention of a chef, it scares me.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote: I wish them the best and hope they prove my skepticism wrong, but I worry that a concept of everything is often a concept of nothing. It sounds like the type of restaurant I used to think would be cool but now realize is incredibly difficult to pull off.
On the educational side of the show "Kitchen Nightmares" places that do everything rarely do any of it well. You rarely see mexican-chinese-fried chicken restaurants for a reason

But if global mean some kind of fusion cuisine they have spent time to get right...