OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: OFFICIAL - Hyatt Regency Convention Hotel

Postby WoodDraw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Another tidbit from the downtowners, they seem to know it's a pedestrian nightmare at parts. He talked about doing art along that side during the presentation. I was going to ask for follow up, but he had to go to a council meeting.

KCDowntown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCDowntown » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:12 am

A lot of renderings we haven't seen yet are available in the document downloadable from this page.

A lot of the commentary on here about the street-level experience around this building, especially along Baltimore, are brought up by the City Plan Commission.

Everything is towards the end of this document, which is rather large.

KCDowntown

joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby joshmv » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:58 am

I'll add the renderings here. More technical drawings are available in the PDF.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Somebody likes red cars.

Anyway, I think a little pedestrian shittery can be forgiven with projects like these, but yikes.

GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square

Postby GRID » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:51 pm

I don't think this looks too bad. It would be nice if taller, but it will be a pretty substantial building in that location and the latest design is not bad. Also, it's near the convention center, which is pretty much a dead zone for pedestrians anyway, just like convention center districts are in every city. Hopefully the city puts more effort into how the cordish buildings interact with the street and the naming of them (don't clutter up the kc skyline with One Two Three light signs). Those buildings need to have good street and sidewalk interaction. I'm not sure much can even be done with the Hyatt Hotel.

flyingember
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby flyingember » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Approved. Maximum price set in May, financing after that. Groundbreaking late summer. Open late 2019/early 2020.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 45789.html

kcjak
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Postby kcjak » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:32 am

KSHB was using old pictures from the initial, taller rendering last night on their newscast [-X

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 am

GRID wrote:I don't think this looks too bad. It would be nice if taller, but it will be a pretty substantial building in that location and the latest design is not bad. Also, it's near the convention center, which is pretty much a dead zone for pedestrians anyway, just like convention center districts are in every city. Hopefully the city puts more effort into how the cordish buildings interact with the street and the naming of them (don't clutter up the kc skyline with One Two Three light signs). Those buildings need to have good street and sidewalk interaction. I'm not sure much can even be done with the Hyatt Hotel.

I don't think the city has much business telling developers what to name their developments. At this point, it wouldn't be very smart on Cordish to name the third tower something other than 3 light. The 4th tower will likely not be 4 light though, so there's that. If they make it to a 5th and 6th tower, I don't see them sticking the # light label on those as they won't be sister buildings to 1-3 light.

KCDowntown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby KCDowntown » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 am

StrangerThings wrote:At this point, it wouldn't be very smart on Cordish to name the third tower something other than 3 light. The 4th tower will likely not be 4 light though, so there's that. If they make it to a 5th and 6th tower, I don't see them sticking the # light label on those as they won't be sister buildings to 1-3 light.

To that end, I've noticed in the past that Cordish originally only reserved the wesbite domains for their one, two and three light towers.

KCDowntown

Riverite
Pad site
Pad site

Postby Riverite » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am

What about instead of three or four light, can we petition for them to be called red light blue light?

KCTOGA
Pad site
Pad site

Postby KCTOGA » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Stranger- Do you know when 3 light will be announced. I remember they said that construction would start before 2 was completed. I think 2 looks Great!

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:31 pm

If developers want city tax help they absolutely should.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Riverite wrote:What about instead of three or four light, can we petition for them to be called red light blue light?

+1 :lol:

A "green eggs and ham" cafe in one of the retail spaces/lobbies would make this all the better.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

So is the financing all in place, any open items before pulling trigger or potential roadblocks?

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Financing is not in place.

Plenty of stumbling blocks ahead. The major obstacle is a final max cost from JE Dunn which is due in May as flyingember pointed out. If that is within their current estimates then they should be to secure financing (still a potential roadblock though) and be able to close on the contract for the Hereford building and get them moved out and proceed with demo and site prep.

Edit: oh and I think the city is still trying to figure out how to unencumber the land contribution that is currently being used as collateral for some other financing deal...

hartliss
New York Life
New York Life

Postby hartliss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm

kboish wrote:Financing is not in place.

Plenty of stumbling blocks ahead. The major obstacle is a final max cost from JE Dunn which is due in May as flyingember pointed out. If that is within their current estimates then they should be to secure financing (still a potential roadblock though) and be able to close on the contract for the Hereford building and get them moved out and proceed with demo and site prep.

Edit: oh and I think the city is still trying to figure out how to unencumber the land contribution that is currently being used as collateral for some other financing deal...

Have to agree with this synopsis as well..while the "approvals" are in place the most important component (financing) isn't. Big, big hurdles.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 pm

KCTOGA wrote:Stranger- Do you know when 3 light will be announced. I remember they said that construction would start before 2 was completed. I think 2 looks Great!

I believe it depends on how quickly leases happen at Two Light, but yes the plan is to break ground on 3 before 2 is completed. From what I've been told, that plan seems to be on track.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:44 pm

KCPowercat wrote:If developers want city tax help they absolutely should.

They contributed less than 9% of the project total, so they can have a 9% say in regards to naming. ;) Let's face it, the city isn't exactly the easiest folks to work with, so the more hands off the better IMHO.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Cordish has gotten a really fair deal from the city and the city has bent over backwards to make their investment work....I don't think there is much evidence of the city being hard to work with in this case.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:41 pm

And Cordish doesn't seem to be making much effort with P&L still having several empty retail spots. Hard to grasp how they could let several spots sit empty for years. You'd think offering lower rents and getting some revenue on those spaces is better than none at all. The corner spot across from the movie theater should easily be filled by now. Are they perhaps exploiting the KC deal? Not insinuating they are, just wondering if they benefit somehow not filling those spaces.

Return to “Downtown”