21-story hotel/condo proposed near Union Station/Freighthouse

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.

Post by guest »

A source told me that a new hotel will be built west of Main and 23rd, near the tracks.  About ten floors, 200 rooms.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: A new hotel could be coming to the Freighthouse District

Post by DaveKCMO »

on top of the tracks? technically, there isn't an intersection of 23rd and main.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

Are you sure you heard west of Main? The only place to build on the west side of Main would be the Freighthouse parking lot. That's more like 21st to 22nd and Main.  That would also mean that the Freighthouse Group is building a hotel. The east side of Main would seem like a more likely spot. And it is closer to what would be 23rd street, sort of.

Share more if you have any, mysterious Guest.....
the only thing for sure is change.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

Cyclops wrote: Are you sure you heard west of Main? The only place to build on the west side of Main would be the Freighthouse parking lot. That's more like 21st to 22nd and Main.  That would also mean that the Freighthouse Group is building a hotel. The east side of Main would seem like a more likely spot. And it is closer to what would be 23rd street, sort of.

Share more if you have any, mysterious Guest.....
Maybe the parking lot across from 2020 Baltimore. That makes the most sense if you leave out "and 23rd" from the description. Don't know how this person would have heard 23rd and Main, since that would sit on the site of Union Station.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i say we leave it as simply a rumor until we either:

1) see a permit for any activity near that location
2) see an article in the star/biz journal, or
3) get confirmation from a developer/construction source

it seems very unlikely to me at this point.
Joe KC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Joe KC »

wouldn't the obvious spot be the lot for that building that was torn down because of environmental contamination?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

While I would love to see a hotel in the Crossroads, I just don't think the numbers would work right now.  If a developer is up for it and the city isn't on the hook for lot's of tax breaks then go for it.  I just don't see how it would fly right now with the focus on Downtown and having over 1300 rooms attached to Union Station via the skywalk.

The vacant lot would be a great spot for a garage with hotel, someday.  Retail/Galleries on the first floor. 
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

I've seen plans, preliminary massing diagrams only.  172 hotel rooms on 8 levels, 133 stall parking garage.  Not sure regarding room rates, etc....It's been 5-6 months since I've seen the plans, so maybe they've changed.  Seems like a good idea, they are really focused on a great design for the project.  This project would take the surface parking lot south of lidias and City Tavern. 

KCT....I also am not sure about the market, however, it would be the only hotel/lodging in the Crossroads proper.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Well, that would certainly get more traffic on the pedestrian bridge to US.  I guess a mid-service type hotel could work.   

Thanks for the update Zonk.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

zonk wrote: I've seen plans, preliminary massing diagrams only.  172 hotel rooms on 8 levels, 133 stall parking garage.  Not sure regarding room rates, etc....It's been 5-6 months since I've seen the plans, so maybe they've changed.  Seems like a good idea, they are really focused on a great design for the project.  This project would take the surface parking lot south of lidias and City Tavern. 

KCT....I also am not sure about the market, however, it would be the only hotel/lodging in the Crossroads proper.
Thanks for sharing what you know Zonk. I'll be interested in seeing what happens (since that lot is the view out my new windows). I'm also curious if the plans butted up next to the Main Street Viaduct, and how far north into the parking lot they extended.

I think this will be a great project for several reasons. Much more activity in the Freighthouse area as well as the rest of the Crossroads, It would be a real quality project if the Freighthouse Group is a part of it and finally I'm selfish, a hotel right next door for my clients!!  :D

On the downside, I might lose my view of Union Station...  :(
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCTigerFan wrote: While I would love to see a hotel in the Crossroads, I just don't think the numbers would work right now.  If a developer is up for it and the city isn't on the hook for lot's of tax breaks then go for it.  I just don't see how it would fly right now with the focus on Downtown and having over 1300 rooms attached to Union Station via the skywalk.

The vacant lot would be a great spot for a garage with hotel, someday.  Retail/Galleries on the first floor. 
I think a hotel in this area would be a homerun. CC/Union Station/Liberty already is a touristy area and if you extended this idea into the Freighhouse District with a very nice, artful hotel...it would be very successful.

When I took Amtrak home from StL at night, there were a smattering of tourists going between the Freighthouse restaurants and the CC area. One guy on foot even asked me directions on getting back to the Hyatt Regency. The freighthouse District is very charming-- especially at night-- and that area combined with CC/Union Station make up a very nice tourist district. A boutique hotel would be a hit down there and fit in very well...
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

just saw this rendering while looking for something else..... could this be the same project? 

The caption on the picture says "Chair/ Freight Masterplan Kansas City Missouri" architect Roger Kraft

KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I notice the trees too... There are no trees in the Freighthouse right now.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i think cyclops might be pissed...
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

ComandanteCero wrote: just saw this rendering while looking for something else..... could this be the same project? 

The caption on the picture says "Chair/ Freight Masterplan Kansas City Missouri" architect Roger Kraft
That has to be an old picture.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Yes, definitely old.
The white building at top center in the pic has been gone for a while.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

DaveKCMO wrote: i think cyclops might be pissed...
Woah!  Thanks for posting that.  As long as they don't attach to my building and block my new windows on the south side I'm cool. I don't see the Freighthouse losing that set of stairs between us. It's very very busy. Buses drop people off there all day.

Maybe someone who has seen the most recent renders could confirm if this is what they saw?

It looks like it's only 6 stories counting 2 stories under the viaduct (parking). Interesting that there is an entrance to their parking off the viaduct too.

I guess I could just go and talk to my neighbor.....
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I like it.  I especially like that it's designed to front the Main Viaduct and extend the streetscape south.  The only disadvantage I can see about a hotel at that location is the noise from passing trains.

Cyclops, you might have to build an observation tower on the roof of your building to retain your view of Union Station.

I would also like to see new buildings constructed along the Viaduct on the east side of Main.

I wonder if the parking garage under the hotel will be also be the long promised Freighthouse District public parking garage?
There is no fifth destination.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

My vision for an redeveloped and denser Crossroads near 20th and Main.

Don't forget to use the horizontal scroll bar to see the right-side of the graphic.

There is no fifth destination.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Methinks any new downtown hotel should be in the Loop.  But since there is no hotel in Xroads, this might work.  Asks for TIF, so it may take a while.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/217824.html
The proposed hotel would be east of the Freight House and face the Main Street viaduct. The hotel would have its entrance on Main, and the 260-space garage would have access both from Main and the surface parking lot that serves the Freight House restaurants.

The plan calls for an 18-story hotel tower atop a three-level garage. The tower would accommodate up to 200 hotel rooms or a combination of 160 hotel rooms and 25 residential condominiums.