Apologies for coming picture updates

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Apologies for coming picture updates

Post by Roanoker »

Hi, all.

I just want to apologize ahead of my upcoming efforts to replace all the pictures I have ever posted on KCRag.

I have been using MyOpera to store pictures since 2006, but that site will be shut down as of March 1, 2014. I had to find an alternative storage facility, and I found a good one, at http://cloudinary.com/invites/lpov9zyyu ... yzr51sli0y.

For about a month, I have been uploading my "routine," weekly pictures to the new site and posting them on KCRag. I have also been documenting the names of all the pictures in all my albums on MyOpera so I would have an index of sorts.

The next step is to upload all previous pictures to the new storage site and replace each link on KCRag. It will take a long time. I decided to start with my most recent threads and go backwards. I certainly will not be able to complete this effort by March 1, so most of my pictures will simply disappear on that day, unless the Opera people mercifully extend the deadline. Since I have that "index," I should be able to restore the pictures, a few at a time.

I hope all this does not cause undue irritation to fellow KCRag viewers.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Apologies for coming picture updates

Post by KCKev »

Nothing lasts forever! Sounds like quite a task. Maybe set up the new sight and post the link ? seems easier then re linking all the pictures.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Thank you, Kev. That's a good suggestion. However, the storage site seems to be designed for pure storage with linked reference. That's the way I had been using MyOpera, anyway, although anyone could view all the albums. I didn't comment on each picture as I do on KCRag.

I may die before I finish this work. We all have to keep busy doing something. :D
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

The storage site I found and used for a while didn't really work out, so I had to look for another. I know Flickr has been problematic in the past, probably because of the Yahoo takeover. However, the site allows for one terabyte of free storage, so I switched to that one. They have apparently changed policy to accommodate their many, unhappy users. Some of them were professional photographers.

I have finally finished uploading around 4500 photos to Flickr. I do like their provision of sets and collections. It suits my style. The pictures in all (most?) of my KCRag threads are in collections. Each set in each collection contain pictures for a given day or maybe several days.

My collections may be viewed at http://www.flickr.com/photos/115393943@N05/collections/.

Again, on March 1, 2014, any picture with a link not yet updated will disappear in its thread.