Problem posting

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Problem posting

Post by ChandraNH »

Hi there,

a new member has been trying to reply to posts (so they can eventually make new posts) but they don't have the reply button when they are signed in.  They've tried logging in with multiple browsers on multiple computers. Any thoughts?

Chandra
smh
Supporter

Re: Problem posting

Post by smh »

Greetings, I joined about a month ago and had this exact same problem until today. I finally decided to look up a moderator on his blog and email him directly. I couldn't reply, search, view profiles or anything. Oddly enough, I could search if I was logged out, but not while logged in.

To the awesome moderators who clearly have more knowledge than me: I noticed there are many dozens of members who have signed up but have not posted at all. Seems like if they joined they would likely post at least once. Just a thought.

Additionally, I noticed on another thread a discussion about how to get new members to post more. If, for some reason, there is a bug or something that exists in the forum software when it creates a new member perhaps that is what has dampened participation.

I know I felt like a mute during the time I couldn't post and obviously Chandra's friend is/was having the same issue.

Any thoughts?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, just to clarify slightly, I realize some of the newly registered IDs are likely spam bots. But I figure not all of them are. Either way, I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

How was this ever resolved?  I've had people say the same thing in the past, and again within the past week.  Is it just a time limit after registering before you can post??
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AJoD wrote: How was this ever resolved?  I've had people say the same thing in the past, and again within the past week.  Is it just a time limit after registering before you can post??
I'm not sure, but I sent a couple of emails around and I think one of the moderators did something. No one ever told me what the story was.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Huh, so I just noticed this at the top of the board:

"News: So you can't post? READ THIS!"

With a link here: http://blog.kcrag.com/so-you-cant-post/

I thought there was something about 3 replies before starting a new topic, but the guy with the problem said he couldn't even reply.  I will forward this to him and see.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AJoD wrote: Huh, so I just noticed this at the top of the board:

"News: So you can't post? READ THIS!"

With a link here: http://blog.kcrag.com/so-you-cant-post/

I thought there was something about 3 replies before starting a new topic, but the guy with the problem said he couldn't even reply.  I will forward this to him and see.
I read that when I signed up as well. I couldn't reply either. I was totally mute.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Everyone should be able to reply as soon as you sign up, just not make new topics. If this isn't the case, send a PM to a mod or admin or email bahua per the post already linked to. There was, at some point in the past, a problem which I believe had prevented some folks from posting or replying, but to my knowledge that problem has been resolved.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote: Everyone should be able to reply as soon as you sign up, just not make new topics. If this isn't the case, send a PM to a mod or admin or email bahua per the post already linked to. There was, at some point in the past, a problem which I believe had prevented some folks from posting or replying, but to my knowledge that problem has been resolved.
FWIW, I also wasn't able to send PMs originally. I had to craftily figure out someone's email address. But, I'm glad I can post now!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Here's the deal.

SMF(the software that runs this forum) sucks. But people want it, and frankly, I don't want to go through another attempt to convert to another forum software.

As a measure to combat spam(which would be so rampant that you'd never see any real content, I assure you), we require that all new users reply three times to a thread before they are able to post a new thread themselves. Most spam robots post new threads, and with this setting in place, the spam was cut to almost zero.

Back to SMF sucking: it often just "forgets" about a new user's ability to reply to threads, treating them the same as a would-be spammer, and keeps them from posting at all. To fix this, an admin has to go into the admin options on a periodic basis, go into the "Surface Lot" security settings dialogue, and hit "save." This reminds SMF of what it's supposed to do.

This is all because SMF sucks, and not because anything's broken. It's all WAI, according to the software's docs.