What happened to the forum Time-Out? (The temp. forum suspension)

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What happened to the forum Time-Out? (The temp. forum suspension)

Post by KCMax »

I kinda feel like as this site has grown with more members, more people like to talk about non-KC, non-development related news. This, however, leads us to lose focus a bit, and ends up diverting to heated tangents about unrelated things.

I can't help but wonder if this forum would be better off if we snipped a few "rooms" like Sports and "General Discussion". OTOH, this forum has become a community which is larger than just KC Development and you could argue that it requires these things to have a forum that encourages participation.

I guess there is a tension as to what we want this forum to be - a message board simply for downtown Kansas City development discussion - or a larger Kansas City-based community discussion board?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Honestly, that sort of dialog all seems least offensive when it is in the sports rooms - there it is at least in a context where rivalry is an understood component.  Where it becomes troublesome is when the same conversational style starts spilling over into the other regions of the forum.  For example - some of the more inane national politics conversations that have carried on the last several months unabated.  It is much the same characters and non-constructive dialog flow as in the sports forum but somehow stands out much more repulsively outside of those confines. 
Right, but the sports forums are still in KCrag and they still contribute to a degradation of the overall quality of discourse. Permissiveness there is permissiveness on KCrag in general, at least in perception. The most abrasive posters are that way because they've all worked each other into a frenzy discussion topics that are by definition not rational, like sports rivalries.

While I understand that there are sports overtones to some development news, I think those could be accommodated in the appropriate topic. Having threads essentially dedicated to smack talk is counterproductive. There are hundreds of other forums around for sports discussion that would provide an outlet for this talk. If folks still wanted to fight here, they could take it to PM.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

staubio wrote: The most abrasive posters are that way because they've all worked each other into a frenzy discussion topics that are by definition not rational, like sports rivalries.
Actually, sports discussion can be quite rational.  But oftentimes people disregard facts and stats in favor of blind school pride.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I kinda feel like as this site has grown with more members, more people like to talk about non-KC, non-development related news. This, however, leads us to lose focus a bit, and ends up diverting to heated tangents about unrelated things.

I can't help but wonder if this forum would be better off if we snipped a few "rooms" like Sports and "General Discussion". OTOH, this forum has become a community which is larger than just KC Development and you could argue that it requires these things to have a forum that encourages participation.

I guess there is a tension as to what we want this forum to be - a message board simply for downtown Kansas City development discussion - or a larger Kansas City-based community discussion board?
you take away sports, and gen discussion, this forum would be almost non-existent. seriously. there is no development going on, once the pac is done, there is almost nothing going up these days. and if you or anyone else around here thinks that discussing new tenants on the plaza, the legends, and how shitty crown center is will sustain this place, get a clue. look at the most active areas of the forum, they now officially have nothing to do with kansas city. shit, why would they? there is nothing to talk about these days.

which weather person people wanna fuck, the neverending discussion of beer, would a plane take off on a treadmill, all indicitive of the fact there is almost jackshit development to even talk about right now. snip the only areas getting comments. i will be happy to go back to commenting ONLY occasionally on the hotel president, crown center, and a few other things. so will many other posters. guess we will see how happening this place is then.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote: you take away sports, and gen discussion, this forum would be almost non-existent. seriously. there is no development going on, once the pac is done, there is almost nothing going up these days. and if you or anyone else around here thinks that discussing new tenants on the plaza, the legends, and how shitty crown center is will sustain this place, get a clue. look at the most active areas of the forum, they now officially have nothing to do with kansas city. shit, why would they? there is nothing to talk about these days.

which weather person people wanna fuck, the neverending discussion of beer, would a plane take off on a treadmill, all indicitive of the fact there is almost jackshit development to even talk about right now. snip the only areas getting comments. i will be happy to go back to commenting ONLY occasionally on the hotel president, crown center, and a few other things. so will many other posters. guess we will see how happening this place is then.
I'm not sure a leaner forum with fewer members would necessarily be a bad thing. There has actually been a lot of good conversation in the other rooms though.

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kcdcchef wrote: you take away sports, and gen discussion, this forum would be almost non-existent. seriously. there is no development going on, once the pac is done, there is almost nothing going up these days. and if you or anyone else around here thinks that discussing new tenants on the plaza, the legends, and how shitty crown center is will sustain this place, get a clue. look at the most active areas of the forum, they now officially have nothing to do with kansas city. shit, why would they? there is nothing to talk about these days.

Agreed.  You axe the sports board and it's sayonara for me.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I'm not sure a leaner forum with fewer members would necessarily be a bad thing. There has actually been a lot of good conversation in the other rooms though.

yeah, nothing like having the forum be like it was in 03-04 again, about three dozen people speaking back and forth about the possibility of a new tallest building in kc, our disdain of surface parking lots, best pictures of first fridays, etc. you think that would hardly be a bad thing. by cutting the areas that are actually keeping the forum going, well, feel free. see what happens.
kcmetro wrote: Agreed.  You axe the sports board and it's sayonara for me.
the whole board would just become some lame pathetic barely holding on thing. go in the archives and look in 2003 and 2004, man, it was sooo boring. we had actually development to talk about, yes, but i mean, the same group of 25-35 people posted pictures of the hr block building, the sprint center, and thats all we did. seriously.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kcdcchef wrote:
the whole board would just become some lame pathetic barely holding on thing. go in the archives and look in 2003 and 2004, man, it was sooo boring. we had actually development to talk about, yes, but i mean, the same group of 25-35 people posted pictures of the hr block building, the sprint center, and thats all we did. seriously.
Today, it is the same 25 people talking about nothing of substance, drowning out others that actually have meaningful things to post. Look how many people from those days are gone.

This might come as a surprise but not all of us want to spend every moment posting on some hot thread on this forum. Quality over quantity is a reasonable goal.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: Today, it is the same 25 people talking about nothing of substance, drowning out others that actually have meaningful things to post. Look how many people from those days are gone.

This might come as a surprise but not all of us want to spend every moment posting on some hot thread on this forum. Quality over quantity is a reasonable goal.
Most of the truly disruptive folks really only post in Sports and General Discussion with little to no contribution to any of the development topics.  Perhaps an informal rule that if more than half your posts fall in those two categories you get the ax. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

staubio wrote: Today, it is the same 25 people talking about nothing of substance, drowning out others that actually have meaningful things to post. Look how many people from those days are gone.

yet you are all over this topic there big guy!!

what meaningful things to post staubio? the thing you fail to realize there are wayyy more active members now then there ever was. hey, dont get me wrong. i lament the way things are from time to time as well, and the loss of certain members that hate the way the board is ran now ( by people like yourself, max, chriz ) but i just said fuck it, no point crying over it. hell, i was posting about it a few months ago. i miss thrillcekr, kcn, nota, michael, stldan, i miss them all too. but no point crying over it. damage is done, they will never be back.

but look at what it is nowadays. this forum is larger than it has ever been, and has more active members than it ever has. why mess with that? sure, a lot of shit and flamebait gets posted. i do it myself sometimes. so do some of the moderators. so do some people that i like on here. sometimes it pisses me off. sometimes certain members piss me off so royally i go to bitching about it myself.

the thread that this member is directed at, well, what else to really say. not much really.  but you staubio, you have been crying steadily for 5 years that the forum is not some place where you brew some cup of fair exchange cup of coffee, put on your dorm pants, light patchoulie candles, and sit around in your cute little loft for 45 minutes each night checking replies, replying to 3-4 things, then logging back out for the nite. hey, good for you if that is what you want. this has not been that way since 03-04. and it will not go back. if you do want to eliminate the threads that have ZERO to do with kc development, well, you are guilty too. i mean, is soliciting people to vote for some dumbass lame home movie you made really about development? is beer really about development? is bike riding and where to buy a bike about development?

get real dude. from day one this place has been spiked off and on with talk not pertaining in anyway to kc. it just has more members now.
LenexatoKCMO wrote: Most of the truly disruptive folks really only post in Sports and General Discussion with little to no contribution to any of the development topics.  Perhaps an informal rule that if more than half your posts fall in those two categories you get the ax. 
careful what you wish for. you are tapdancing around getting 86'd yourself there homeboy!!!

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?action ... =statPanel
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: careful what you wish for. you are tapdancing around getting 86'd yourself there homeboy!!!

????

2923/10,289

???
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kcdcchef wrote: yet you are all over this topic there big guy!!

what meaningful things to post staubio? the thing you fail to realize there are wayyy more active members now then there ever was. hey, dont get me wrong. i lament the way things are from time to time as well, and the loss of certain members that hate the way the board is ran now ( by people like yourself, max, chriz ) but i just said fuck it, no point crying over it. hell, i was posting about it a few months ago. i miss thrillcekr, kcn, nota, michael, stldan, i miss them all too. but no point crying over it. damage is done, they will never be back.

but look at what it is nowadays. this forum is larger than it has ever been, and has more active members than it ever has. why mess with that? sure, a lot of shit and flamebait gets posted. i do it myself sometimes. so do some of the moderators. so do some people that i like on here. sometimes it pisses me off. sometimes certain members piss me off so royally i go to bitching about it myself.

the thread that this member is directed at, well, what else to really say. not much really.  but you staubio, you have been crying steadily for 5 years that the forum is not some place where you brew some cup of fair exchange cup of coffee, put on your dorm pants, light patchoulie candles, and sit around in your cute little loft for 45 minutes each night checking replies, replying to 3-4 things, then logging back out for the nite. hey, good for you if that is what you want. this has not been that way since 03-04. and it will not go back. if you do want to eliminate the threads that have ZERO to do with kc development, well, you are guilty too. i mean, is soliciting people to vote for some dumbass lame home movie you made really about development? is beer really about development? is bike riding and where to buy a bike about development?

get real dude. from day one this place has been spiked off and on with talk not pertaining in anyway to kc. it just has more members now.

careful what you wish for. you are tapdancing around getting 86'd yourself there homeboy!!!

First of all, I haven't been crying "steadily" about anything. I have suggested that we tone down the sports threads in the past because I have seen the poison it creates. I don't think anyone disputes this fact. Never have I suggested, however, that we have an intolerant, laser-like focus on development. This is a community, obviously, and that is part of the appeal, no question, but there is a line to be drawn somewhere. I don't mind a huge amount of content but it would be nice if at least half of it was useful, constructive or active in progressing an idea.

In terms of your personal issues with my posts, I'm sorry you feel that way. The video I posted was about the city, actually, and I reached out to the community a few times for help. Bike riding and where to buy a bike? Absolutely relevant, as both are part of an urban lifestyle, just like restaurants and other amenities. It sounds like your examples are more personal issues with me, which I'd be happy to discuss via PM.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Well said.  =D>
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: ????

2923/10,289

???
yes, but what are YOUR TOP TWO THINGS YOU POST ON???

sports
gen discussion
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Must hurry up with new feature....
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: yes, but what are YOUR TOP TWO THINGS YOU POST ON???

sports
gen discussion
Dude we have some folks who are around 90+%.  Some of whom have almost never contributed a constructive post anywhere else in the forum in their career. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Dude we have some folks who are around 90+%.  Some of whom have almost never contributed a constructive post anywhere else in the forum in their career. 
hey, i will give you that one. hands down, no question.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcdcchef wrote:
yeah, nothing like having the forum be like it was in 03-04 again, about three dozen people speaking back and forth about the possibility of a new tallest building in kc, our disdain of surface parking lots, best pictures of first fridays, etc. you think that would hardly be a bad thing. by cutting the areas that are actually keeping the forum going, well, feel free. see what happens.

Wasn't 2003-2004 about the time this forum really began to take off? It seems there was something about how the forum was back then that really attracted people to this forum.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Wasn't 2003-2004 about the time this forum really began to take off? It seems there was something about how the forum was back then that really attracted people to this forum.
It was probably the peak time for KC development news - P&L/Sprint were getting ready to show tangible signs of progress - there was a new DT residential announcement just about every week.  There were enough things going on in KC development to really drive people to go to the web and look for information on it. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It was probably the peak time for KC development news - P&L/Sprint were getting ready to show tangible signs of progress - there was a new DT residential announcement just about every week.  There were enough things going on in KC development to really drive people to go to the web and look for information on it. 
or the fact that is when this place was created. did anyone expect it to start and have 2,000 members with 2-300 of them damned active from day one? max did i guess.