Changes?

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Changes?

Post by staubio »

...or, ya know, we could make some huge steps by getting rid of the irrelevant and poisonous sports threads and direct that discussion to one of many other forums on the topic. All of that animosity spills over.

I can speak for myself and say that whenever I see a completely useless or disrespectful post, it gets deleted straight away -- no dumpster. Thus, not all of the moderation is even visible to casual observers.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

staubio wrote: ...or, ya know, we could make some huge steps by getting rid of the irrelevant and poisonous sports threads and direct that discussion to one of many other forums on the topic. All of that animosity spills over.

I can speak for myself and say that whenever I see a completely useless or disrespectful post, it gets deleted straight away -- no dumpster. Thus, not all of the moderation is even visible to casual observers.
Thats fine, untill someone thinks they're God and removes a perfectly good pre-superbowl topic about Big Ben and his failure to perform well in any of the "big ones"...  :roll:
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Therein lies the problem. When we moderate with a heavy hand, someone thinks we're playing god and censoring. When we don't, everything goes to shit.

Pick one, please. Thanks.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: Thats fine, untill someone thinks they're God and removes a perfectly good pre-superbowl topic about Big Ben and his failure to perform well in any of the "big ones"...  :roll:
That wasn't deleted, its right here:

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 46#p385246
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCMax wrote: That wasn't deleted, its right here:

It is also on one of 10,000 internet message boards that are actually focused on sports instead of, ya know, KC Metro development.

...but I digress.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

staubio wrote: It is also on one of 10,000 internet message boards that are actually focused on sports instead of, ya know, KC Metro development.

...but I digress.
hey i hear ya, but not much development to discuss these days. 6 years ago when i started reading this site, there was a shitload coming down the pipes. not so much now.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

kcdcchef wrote: hey i hear ya, but not much development to discuss these days. 6 years ago when i started reading this site, there was a shitload coming down the pipes. not so much now.
We don't always have to be talking if there is nothing relevant to talk about.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mean wrote: Therein lies the problem. When we moderate with a heavy hand, someone thinks we're playing god and censoring. When we don't, everything goes to shit.

Pick one, please. Thanks.
I will go for the third hand.  And this brings to mind the difference between comedians who are considered dirty or clean.  Maybe when the attacks get personnal and one calls the other a SOB then maybe some cutting is called for.  One the other hand when the attack just says the other's parents were not married then that stays in.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: That wasn't deleted, its right here:

It was moved from the "General Discussion" board, which totes itself as such "Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City." to the "Kansas City Sports" forum topic area...Thats my problem with the move.  I don't think you could have any more of an outside KC topic as one titled "Big Ben or Big Baby"  Granted it was moved into the "Rest of the NFL" thread...but if you read the context of the post it had NOTHING to do with the NFL...it was simply a grading of a man (Big Ben) and his soap opera like performance OUTSIDE of the NFL.  Once again, do some research before you move/delete/post...that goes for ALL users, mod or not.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think the "KC Sports forum" is pretty much the "sports forum". Perhaps it is mistitled. In any case, I really don't understand why you're making such a big stink about it.

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: I think the "KC Sports forum" is pretty much the "sports forum". Perhaps it is mistitled. In any case, I really don't understand why you're making such a big stink about it.
Maybe because it wasn't a sports thread, (it simply had a title most see as being sports related, you can't judge a book by its cover) and the fact that ANOTHER thread was deleted in the "general topics" area right after that (Which should be the least moded area)
THINK (ONE) KC.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

dude... are you serious?

just to be clear, this is the post in question right?
After watching this most recent AFC Championship game, and following the Steelers all season...I can finally understand why so many people in PA think Big Ben is nothing more than a Big Drama Queen.  I have found that as each week passes I tend to agree more & more, unlike the rest of our nation who chooses to drink the Koolade and pronounce him the "Toughest QB in America"

Let's all wake up and take some reality pills.  Big Ben is the emotional leader of Sports Center from Wednesday to Saturday; is listed as "doubtful" every Sunday from week one to sixteen+, screams "I'm outtt...I mean...oww..ouch! coach!" every 1st quarter when his buttocks beg to warm the bench, carries a "get out of the game free" card in his back pocket for those skill-doubting moments and could-have-been legendary drives, returns to his seemingly drunken form around the two minute warning...before zig zagging cross eyed into the locker room edition of "The Young and the Restless".  He then agonizingly proceeds to sleepwalk his way through the 3rd quarter; uses a sharpie to draw smileys on his wristband, is pressure cooked in the 4th by a vanilla defense that couldn't stop a mosquito trapped in fossilized tree sap, is doused with Champaign and pronounced the weeks media darling Sunday night, whilst monday morning quarterbacking with Mike & Mike reveals a superiority complex and general lack of credit toward any odd names...excluding Roethlisberger Polamalu & Foote, goes full retard with his Busa' on Tuesday....pack'n his lack-o-class M liscense and refusing to wear a helmet before act'n a tool and partaking in squidly behavior while bust'n a nut case on the asphalt, dreaming up a fast and the furious scene on second avenue, awakening to the limelight once again on Wednesday.
I understand if it was frustrating to see your thread disappear, but i think the validity of the action stands.  It's pretty clearly a Sports related discussion topic, as evidenced by the fact that unless you are into sports, and football in particular, and the Steelers at that, you won't give a farthing over who Big Ben is and whether he is behaving like a big baby.

There's a reason we have specialized sub-categories.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: Maybe because it wasn't a sports thread, (it simply had a title most see as being sports related, you can't judge a book by its cover) and the fact that ANOTHER thread was deleted in the "general topics" area right after that (Which should be the least moded area)
I know, but why are you making such a big stink about it? Posts get moved all the time. Seems like a pretty trivial inconvenience. Deal with it.

Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Changes needed

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: Awhile back I think we were more vigilant about trimming threads, but the problem with doing so, is it is impossible to have clear guidelines as to what we trim or edit, so it looks arbitrary and capricious and it ends up upsetting more people than if we had just left it. It is also an effort that takes up a lot of time - I don't think any of us are moderating every last post and every thread.

But more importantly, this is a free forum for free ideas. If people want to go off on a tangent, why shouldn't they? If you don't like the tangent, then bring the conversation back to topic. Its like a flee flowing conversation among friends. People will talk about what interests them.

As for "regulars" mocking "opinions", that is again part of a free flow of ideas. If your opinions are based on facts not supported by evidence, expect to have them criticized. I cannot say "I think the sky is green" and expect people to not challenge that. There is also no rule that you have to answer every criticism of your post. You can save a lot of time and energy by simply ignoring a lot of the silly responses. It is very easy to detect when someone is baiting for a response.

I don't think the goal of the form was ever to inform people. This is not a news site. The goal is to facilitate the free exchange of ideas relating to Kansas City, particularly downtown Kansas City. However, that does bring up an interesting point, perhaps we should have a "news aggregator" - I think we discussed that idea then abandoned it when none of us wanted to maintain it.
Wow.  What a great take.  Well-stated.    This board is one of the more lenient ones I've encountered and because of that, it's a great board to visit.  One of the few I enjoy reading. 

There are 2 ways a board can go:  (1) rigid, formal, news-oriented, or (2) informal, honest and a bit slapstick as you might find with a group of people at a happy hour.    I like the latter, because that is the void in the "information chain" that msg boards fill.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Changes needed

Post by mean »

Maitre D wrote:There are 2 ways a board can go:  (1) rigid, formal, news-oriented, or (2) informal, honest and a bit slapstick as you might find with a group of people at a happy hour.    I like the latter, because that is the void in the "information chain" that msg boards fill.
And because you always get banned from the former? Just curious.  :lol:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ComandanteCero wrote: dude... are you serious?

just to be clear, this is the post in question right?
Read the post, as KCMax must have...he/she clearly understands that it is SATIRICAL HUMOR...aka...A PARODY!  (with which ANYONE would understand...directly challenging your following statement)
ComandanteCero wrote: It's pretty clearly a Sports related discussion topic, as evidenced by the fact that unless you are into sports, and football in particular, and the Steelers at that, you won't give a farthing over who Big Ben is and whether he is behaving like a big baby.

The reason I was upset at its being moved into the sports section is that I spent a good amount of time, and a great deal of thought creating a good hearted, funny, thread for all to read.  Instead it gets shoved under the rug and sent into the (flame-war) sports board, and moved into an existing thread...which was completely unrelated to any half-brained neanderthal who would take the time to read to original post (And yes, the idea of a neanderthal reading is my mocking of your ability to read (and quote we must add), along with this idea of albino (Blind) mouse moderation.) The only thing sports related about the post was the fact that it is a parody based on a man named Ben Roethlisberger, its far stretch to say it is even remotely related to his sports performance...rather than his ability to perform like a diva in the limelight.

Naturally I was a little upset at that moderation, but WHO cares anymore...I sure as hell don't...I just don't want to see the Moderation aspect of things get careless, and reckless.  I am, for the record, all for moderation. (and more of it on this board...in certain instances) I could however care less at the moment about the big ben post (or rather former topic turned post)...my point all along is that it A. Shouldn't have been moved from the "general discussion"...aka...non-kc and non-developemnt board into the "KC sports"...aka..all sports board, but obviously some people mis-interpret a creative attempt at humor, and blindly move anything with a title that talks and walks like sports, but isn't sports.   Thats my point.  Now lets move forward!
Last edited by im2kull on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
THINK (ONE) KC.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Clearly this masterful piece of "parody" was unduly smitten before its time.  Had it been given the proper space to grow, it surely would have launched a 50 page thread discussing the merits and quality of the writing, the impressive way in which exaggeration and imagery is used for comic effect, the subtlety of the allusions and merry characterization that is sure to bring a smile to any reader blessed to read it.

Behold!  We have a latter day Swift, a veritable Twain, a Moliere amongst us! 

But as is the case with so many creative luminaries, the work is buried deep, down, where few if any eyes will gaze upon its wit....  down in the sports board phosphorus of a local urban development forum, where its intended audiences surely can't find it  :(

Don't worry "im2kull", one day your effort will be recognized by some diligent scholar, and that future audience will read it in re-prints, and they will appreciate it, and they will laugh, and laugh, and laugh.....

until then, i guess we'll have to make do with stuff like this:

KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

im2kull wrote:I am, for the record, all for moderation. (and more of it on this board...in certain instances)
You and everyone else. The problem is, nobody can agree on which instances, so no matter what happens someone usually bitches about it.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

mean wrote: You and everyone else. The problem is, nobody can agree on which instances, so no matter what happens someone usually bitches about it.
I'm not.  I hate moderation, it's lame and pathetic.  Usually done by people who want to be control freaks. 
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Right. I should have added, and some people will bitch about all moderation.