ampersand

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

ampersand

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Did something get implemented to automatically convert the ampersand symbol to the word and?  How are we supposed to connote sarcasim now? 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: ampersand

Post by lock+load »

&&&&&&&&&&

guess you'll have to write ampersand :)
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

This is also messing up the emoticons. Fix it, Bahua, or find another job!!!  :lol: Just kiddin' playboy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bahua doesn't like the ampersand...so I guess this is how he's decided to end it's use. 

Seemed like a good way to denote sarcasm to me...didn't seem to hurt anything...but whatever.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It seems ridiculous to me to have to stick a crutch on something as central to our language as sarcasm. I was thinking of changing it to:

No need to pay attention to what I said, or appreciate the humor. I was using the literary device, "sarcasm" just then.

But whatever. I lose. Censor lifted.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Sarcasm is most enjoyable when it's intended to be misinterpreted by certain people.
A fool and your money are soon united.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Gladstoner wrote: Sarcasm is most enjoyable when it's intended to be misinterpreted by certain people.
I agree 100%.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Roanoker wrote: Image
Were you being sarcastic?  I couldn't tell since you didn't use the ampersand.  :lol:
KC is the way to be!
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Were you being sarcastic?  I couldn't tell since you didn't use the ampersand.   :lol:
:D At first I had quoted Bahua, but it looked like I considered his "100%" comment to be sarcastic, which I did not.

Actually, I thought it would be a good thread to post that animated gif. I kind of like it.  :)
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Sarcasm is best left to the perception of the reader. If a person doesn't understand the subtleties of sarcasm, that's their problem. I see no reason to handicap our conversations just because some people have no sense of humor, or cannot detect sarcasm. At its worst, a situation when someone doesn't grasp that sarcasm has been used is remedied a post of two later, with someone clarifying to the lunk that didn't get it that the comment was not meant to be taken literally. That's the extreme. In most cases, people will just understand, having received at least an elementary school education.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the problem is sarcasm many times depends on knowing the personality of a person and/or hearing how they say the sarcastic line...neither of wish is conveyed well on an anonymous message board.

Sure if this was a site of my buddies, they'd know exactly when I was being sarcastic.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

bahua wrote: In most cases, people will just understand, having received at least an elementary school education.
That true, but that's assuming that everyone on this forum has at least an elementary school education. - Something that still hasn't been proved.

I agree with bahua: sarcasm should be noticeable.  However, that's not always the case.  Which is why I think it should be OK to use the ampersand.  But, that's just my opinion.
KC is the way to be!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It might be worth mentioning that an ampersand has no relation, whatsoever, to sarcasm.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Does anyone know how it got started anyway?
KC is the way to be!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

AllThingsKC wrote: Does anyone know how it got started anyway?
Shinatoo invented it.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

bahua wrote: It might be worth mentioning that an ampersand has no relation, whatsoever, to sarcasm.
That is the beauty of it.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

bahua wrote: It might be worth mentioning that an ampersand has no relation, whatsoever, to sarcasm.
Thanks Cliff Clavin.  Nobody would have ever known that if you hadn't taken the time to share your wisdom with us. &&&&
Last edited by Thrillcekr on Wed May 02, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

From the perspective of a relatively new memeber, I like the ampersand, mainly because I am still learning the personalities of everyone who posts.  I am good at picking up sarcasm in person, but clues for me are generally voice tone and facial expression -- obviously not possible to pick up through the message board.  Sarcasm in a written conversation is tougher and leads to pointless posts clarifying the misunderstandings.  If little symbol helps, why censor?
Last edited by eclair on Wed May 02, 2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.