Updated KCSkyscrapers.com

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Updated KCSkyscrapers.com

Post by KCPowercat »

OK I've been working on an updated site since I turned the forum over to Bahua and KCRag.  I'm finally ready to release the first glimpse of it.  A lot of content is still missing, but I'll get that added.  The basic framework is there.

The biggest addition is the development wiki.  Instead of the stale database of projects, I've created a wiki so users can update projects with text and pictures.  I'm looking (begging) for volunteers to help me fill in the wiki....you need to get an ID from me to edit the wiki.  All are welcome to join and help out....I just don't want the whole internets to be able to update the wiki at this point, until it's more stable.

So please PM me if you'd like to help, include your email address and I'll set you up a username (matching the one on here unless you tell me different) and a password.  I'm not putting any rules on the wiki at this point.....because I'm not sure how the best way it will be to structure it....so all who volunteer will have a pretty blank slate.

I also plan to update the site in a blog form more of frequent updates...instead of posting stuff on this forum in 100 different threads.

I welcome any comments, criticism, anything to help make the new site better...including features you'd like to see added.....I continue to add as I find things I like.

Don't email me at admin@kcskyscrapers.com...I'm retiring that email address due to the 999999 spam per day.  Just PM me and I'll make my email address available at a later time.

I appreciate anybody that will help out with the wiki....I need the help.  Thanks in advance.  I'm begging for help actually :)

Now...the link would be good.  I'll move this to the root of the domain as soon as I'm sure of the layout:

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/joomla

PS...in my final modifications today I blew away the gallery....my photos are all still intact, I just f'ed up the backend of the software.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Updated KCSkyscrapers.com

Post by eliphar17 »

Better make it fit on a 1024x768 screen - horizontal scroll sucks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

good catch...I do a lot of my stuff on a widescreen and just noticed.  How does it look now?

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: good catch...I do a lot of my stuff on a widescreen and just noticed.  How does it look now?
=D>
KC is the way to be!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Could still stand to be a bit narrower.  Maybe move the poll and random photo to the left side.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I am impressed. It looks like a huge upgrade over the old site, not that the old site was bad.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

make the boarder a lil smaller and solve that 1024x768 issue
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok it should really be fixed now.

anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Where did the pics section go?
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anybody else want to help with the wiki?  I've started adding a parking section now to dispell all the crazy no place to park downtown rumors...

I need all the help I can get just getting all the project inputed.......

I just found a few of those euro KCMO stickers I'd be willing to send as a bribe if you help out.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Anybody else want to help with the wiki?  I've started adding a parking section now to dispell all the crazy no place to park downtown rumors...

I need all the help I can get just getting all the project inputed.......
i totally have time to help.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

if Bahua is cool with it, I'll probably set up a room on here with access to those people who want to help, so we can discuss how to best do it.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Let me know if I can help, I have access to a lot of parking data, if I can find it.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

The parking and transportation committee of the Downtown Council announced this morning that they are implementing a comprehensive study of loop parking and how to make it more visible and user friendly.  Perhaps some of the data, knowledge and suggestions from amongst this forum could be of help to their process.  If inclined, you could send info to sean@downtownkc.org and reference the committee.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: The parking and transportation committee of the Downtown Council announced this morning that they are implementing a comprehensive study of loop parking and how to make it more visible and user friendly.  Perhaps some of the data, knowledge and suggestions from amongst this forum could be of help to their process.   If inclined, you could send info to sean@downtownkc.org and reference the committee.
wierd. i just sent them this email on tuesday:
I wasn't sure exactly who to direct this to, but I was thinking that it would be a good idea for the Downtown Council (or the city's new Parking Services Unit) to create a comprehensive downtown parking guide (or incorporate such information into an existing map or brochure). Since parking seems to be quite an issue for most Kansas Citians, it would help stem some of potential complaints when the Sprint Center and Power & Light District open soon. If something like this already exists or is in the works, please let me know since some friends of mine and I are discussing doing something on our own. Using Google Maps to enable an online or WAP presence would be helpful to those who are out-and-about and trying to find a place to park.

Things to include:

- Hours of operation
- Cost
- Proximity (in city blocks) to which facilities
- Number of spaces
- Contact information

Also, encouraging people to use facilities that might be under-utilized during major events with lower (or subsidized) rates would help lighten the load (charging only a few bucks at Barney Allis Plaza for a Sprint Center event, for example). Or to avoid parking hassles altogether, offer the new two-trip MAX cards (available in bulk from the ATA) with an event ticket.

Thanks!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok this is back...the wiki is reconfigured and anyone that had a username it is still configured.

I have started a new page called "Where can I buy?".  Thought we could list common items and the stores you can get that stuff along with their hours, address, etc.

I added a sample of a couple of items of what I was thinking of.....feel free to make column additions, etc.

I am going to move the P&L district tenant list over there as well and change the link in the P&L district room.

Any other ideas for kcskyscrapers.com?

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCPowercat wrote: I am going to move the P&L district tenant list over there as well and change the link in the P&L district room.
Why?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Since I was the one maintaining it figured put it in the wiki for the development site....I just copied it over, it is in both places, I just will keep updating it on the kcskyscrapers.com wiki.

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

To be honest I never use kcskyscrapers.com never have the only thing I ever used was the forums when they were over there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

great info.  Thanks for sharing.