Signatures

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Signatures

Post by bahua »

I have reduced the maximum number of characters allowed in a signature to 1. This is in an effort to stem the ridiculous gigantic distracting pictures people are posting as part of their signatures.

In an upcoming version of the forum software, much more flexibility will be afforded the admins to allow for the listing of smaller pictures, but until then, or until someone can convince me that anyone besides the person who posts the massive picture gives a crap about it, the sigs are one character.

This setting should only affect new changes. As time allows, the admins and I will be removing the existing humongous signature pictures manually.

Enough is enough.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Signatures

Post by anniewarbucks »

AMEN. but does this mean that our signatures will only be 1 letter like below:
L
Or can we have short 1 liners like "Life is what you make of it. Only you controll your own destiny" My own line.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

anniewarbucks wrote: AMEN. but does this mean that our signatures will only be 1 letter like below:
L
Or can we have short 1 liners like "Life is what you make of it. Only you controll your own destiny" My own line.
Control?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Under this new restriction, all new signatures will only be able to be 1 character. SMF doesn't currently support any other fine-tuning of signature blocks, and the module to make such customization possible is incompatible with the latest versions.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

lol I still will not change it. The spelling of the word controll is an extension of my individuality. enough said.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

It's an extension alright.

While I understand the desire to get rid of the obnoxious pictures, and applaud that effort, wouldn't it be easier to have just removed the two offending signatures and said "don't do this" rather than restricting all signatures?  I don't think it was a problem that was out of control.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It is rather cowardly of me to hit everybody for two people's annoying habits. I will lift the restriction, and talk with Dan and Grid.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Thank you bahua. It is a shame that they cant put a restriction saying that no picture files can go on the signature line. Just the signature that can be hand typed with no html coding in it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I was just messing around with dan and pitts.  I was going to remove the sig.  Relax.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Big pictures are annoying to sift through. I'm betting if I posted a panorama of Allen Fieldhouse as my sig, it would cause quite a disturbance to many on this forum.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: I was just messing around with dan and pitts.  I was going to remove the sig.  Relax.
Awesome
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

lock+load wrote: Awesome
F5
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I support restrictions on signatures.  They too often annoying, wasteful, and distracting from the content of the discussion. If someone really has a need for self-expression then they have the option of creating blog or web site and directing people to it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think we should put a requirement that all signatures must be quotes from "The Simpsons." Only seasons 1-7.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Kang & Kodos: It's a two-party system! You have to vote for one of us!
Insightful Murmurers: I know! I'll vote for a third-party candidate!
Kang & Kodos: Go ahead! Throw your vote away!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: F5
you could just go with a really cool sig line like "53-47 thank you jackson county voters for keeping the royals where they belong, the truman sports complex"
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I kinda like to read people's signatures, especially if they change them now and then. It's a good way to post a simple, snappy quote without starting a rather useless thread.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Sig files have to be the most obnoxious invention ever.  I disable them completely whenever possible on internet forums that I am a member of, it's a huge pet peeve of mine.  But apparently some forums (*cough* eOmaha *cough*) feel that it's not enough to simply allow users to post massively annoying pictures in sig files, that all users must be subjected to other's inane sig file without any way of disabling the signature feature, dispite my repeated requests to allow users to switch them off in their control panel...
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I do like how the forum has cleaned up after the deletion of the huge pictures in the signature line. I do not mind the small one to two liners but the huge ones were getting a little obnoxious.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I've installed a mod that allows the setting of a maximum height for images in signatures. I've set it to 50px. I believe that the forum will scale your image down to 50 pixels if it's larger.

Text signatures are not affected.