Found a good place to store photos

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Found a good place to store photos

Post by Roanoker »

I have been using Opera's "MyOpera" to store my photos for about six years, linking to them in my posts on KCRag. I learned recently that all MyOpera accounts will be shut down in March, 2014. It was nice of them to give me time to find an alternative. I checked with Amazon Web Services and learned about a great site, where I can store my many photos for free. I joined, uploaded two photos already used on KCRag, and observed that everything looks the same. Yay!

You can learn about it here: http://cloudinary.com/invites/lpov9zyyu ... yzr51sli0y
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Found a good place to store photos

Post by Roanoker »

This site did not work out well for me, so I had to find another one. I am now using Flickr as roanokerflickr. I like having a terabyte of free storage.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I would offer image hosting, but storage is one thing that's at a bit of a premium at the provider I'm using.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

bahua wrote:I would offer image hosting, but storage is one thing that's at a bit of a premium at the provider I'm using.
Price was an issue at all of the provider sites I looked into. The first site I had decided to use would have worked okay on the storage front, but they had some kind of limitation on bandwidth. I had used up 70% of mine after uploading only a few images. I think it was a per-month thing. On all the sites, after you exceed the "free" limit, the fees kick in. I chose Flickr because of their generous, free storage allowance, and I didn't see any "bandwidth" limitations. They do add advertising, but I don't find it obnoxious. I'm sure the professional photographers pay a slight premium to do away with that one disadvantage.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Photobucket

Post by Highlander »

I've noticed all my photobucket links are broken. I store photos on the site but not enough to have to pay. Went into the site recently and saw that they are now charging ~$300 per year for 3rd party hosting. Any suggestions for an alternative? I backup my photos at home but would like some posting options.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

imgur
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Did you look at Flickr? I have 12,995 pictures loaded on that site, and I don't pay anything. I'm not familiar with the other suggestion.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Roanoker wrote:Did you look at Flickr? I have 12,995 pictures loaded on that site, and I don't pay anything. I'm not familiar with the other suggestion.
Is that where you host the photos you share with the Rag?
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Yes.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Roanoker wrote:Yes.
Thanks
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Google Photos is great for storing. Unlimited storage for photos up to 16MP each. Storage of anything beyond that counts against your Google accounts data quota. Not sure how easy it is to share photo's from your album on there with a forum though. But, it's probably worth a shot.