Best place to watch fireworks?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Best place to watch fireworks?

Post by kard »

Where is the best place in town to watch fireworks?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Best place to watch fireworks?

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Not exactly "in town" but Mt. Oread in Lawrence is pretty sweet.  You can see six or seven municipal displays from up their in a 360 degree panorama.  It is legal to light them off in Douglas County as well so there are tons of improvised shows in the neighborhoods surounding the hill.  Pretty much a steady fireworks show for a couple of hours.  You can set out your blanket by the campanile for a good vantage point.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

The combined Lenexa/Shawnee display at Shawnee Mission Park is pretty nice.  Plus, if you want to avoid the crowd, you can go the the Theatre in the Park's show and watch the fireworks from the theatre bowl during intermission.  By the time the second act is over, most of the fireworks crowd is long gone.  They're doing Peter Pan this year, so if you've got kiddos (or you just like to watch people fly around the stage), that might be a good choice.  If you are an edgy, experimental theatre-type, probably not.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Best place I've seen is the roof of the Cold Storage Building.  You could see all of the municipalities that set off their displays along the river.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The View---Saturday Riverfest fireworks at eye level, 4th--Knights of Columbus at Columbus Square, Worlds of Fun, and half the other public displays in town on the horizon.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I'm going to have to second the nominations for River Market area viewing.  There is a ton of horizon to be seen from there and fireworks are popping up all over the place. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Somebody told me a great place the other day that I couldn't believe hadn't dawned on me....skies.

Don't go to Case Park...unless you are the PD...hopefully they do something this year about that situation.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

My deck or one of our neighbors. Good free food and booze, good company, you can see all the big displays.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I went to Case Park, last year, to watch some fantastic rogue show that was going on in the bottoms. I managed to not get shot.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so where is everyone going to watch their American Explosions tonight? we'll be in parkville.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

My parents acreage in Smithville will have the best amateur display in the area.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

RIVERFEST!!!!
KC is the way to be!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So we're minding our own business at Merriam's little civic fest this afternoon, typical small town burgh stuff, elected officials, vfw honor guards, slightly spooky jingoism and great people watching.  The music was provided by the 35th Infantry Division Band and as I was finishing my hot dog after rousing renditions of patriotic standards, the announcer intro'd the next number "Bohemian Rhapsody" :shock:  The wife and I were grinning fools for the next 10 minutes, and at the critical "wayne and garth" moment I counted a half dozen heads bobbing to the clarinets blaring.  It's the little things in life. :)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

is there a hotel downtown that would offer decent views of the riverfest fireworks display?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:is there a hotel downtown that would offer decent views of the riverfest fireworks display?
Skip the Crown Plaza. It can't see that direction
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote:so where is everyone going to watch their American Explosions tonight? we'll be in parkville.
Parkville is my favorite. Carnival, vendors, and fireworks at English Landing Park.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:so where is everyone going to watch their American Explosions tonight? we'll be in parkville.
Parkville is my favorite. Carnival, vendors, and fireworks at English Landing Park.
The Riss Lake dam has a good view too. with good weather can see shows in JoCo too